About Hither Hills State Park
No WiFi
Hither Hills State Park is located in New York
14 Reviews of Hither Hills State Park
Okay

The beach is the obvious appeal here, but not a whole lot of character overall. Basically a grass field with picnic tables and facilities. Facilities were clean and high quality.

camp by the ocean, awesome

good management, common areas are very clean, nice showers cleaner than my gym in the city.

bring your own fire pit, there is no pit at the sites. very hard to find spot theu summer though mostly rv’s are occupying the whole campground for long term summer vacation.

Hard to get

We ended up luckily getting a spot because a friend had cancelled the reservation. Must reserve early in the year for summer spots.

It gets very crowded and very little space between sites so be friendly a tour neighbors are 3-5 ft. Bathrooms are a bit outdated but have running hot water and are clean. No camp fires at site but your allowed to have a fire on the beach must follow guidelines. Beach is right over the dunes very clean beach.

There is also great restaurants in Montauk biking is nice to get around.

Overall good place if you have an RV as it’s really hot no tree coverage..

Fun weekend

We really enjoyed this campground. We were super lucky to get in for Memorial Day weekend. The beach is great and the staff was very friendly. The camp sites are close to each other with little to no privacy but everyone in our area was nice. There’s a ton of family’s with kids.

If your whole idea of camping is a beach style then this is it!

Great view and nice beach. Nice place to run and also ride a road bike in the mornings. Few stores close by so you don’t really need to bring raw food.

Loved it

We had a great time there even though it was chilly when we went (April). The bathroom was clean, and proximity to the beach is amazing. The campsites aren’t so big tho, so you can pretty much hear others around you all the time. But I’d still recommend it. It must be even better in the summer.

One fine trek... and another surprise waiting at the end of the spectrum

All things good must come to an end! You needed to book right at the beginning of the year for these coveted spots, but you can enjoy the beach and set up a BBQ with your campmates. (though nobody does this, I'm not sure why?)

All access to Montauk via taxis and memory motel, pink tuna, and other great bars and restaurants just be quiet when you come back to campsite, as all other residents have gone bye-bye for the night. Just ask my unwanted house guest at 3am. Peace!

Walk-on Campers looking for a site Warning!

I love Hither Hills and have been staying there every summer for forty years. The beach is fabulous, the other camper nice and there is always something going on in Montauk or other surrounding towns.

Unfortunately there has been a policy change the camp Manager Tom made in violation to rules put out by the state. According to NYS rules, if site is abandoned for more than 24 hours, it will be released to walk-ons. Tom decided he didn't want the hassle and refused to release this sites. The day I was out there trying to get a walk-on site, I counted at least 15 sites not being used in just on section. Other campers around the sites told us they were empty for days. This is a shame because New Yorkers were denied the opportunity to enjoy the facilities. I was turned away after a three hour drive and being told by friends how empty the grounds were.

Think twice before attempting to get a walk-on site unless the camp management reverts back to the actual rules in the state handbook.

PS - The main bathrooms by the beach were dirty all day long. I used the facilities multiple times from 8:30 AM to 6:30 PM. - and they were never cleaned. This is the main bathroom and the changing room fro the beach. It used to be kept as clean as possible considering the sand users bring in regularly!

Beautiful, prime area!

This campsite is amazing! I booked it last year a month in advance out of pure luck and it still is one of the best camping trips I’ve had! I loved the area we were in; close enough to the town yet far enough from all the crowds. I loved the beach access & the convenience store at the site. 10/10 would recommend!

awesome

great place to camp, need to reserve about 1 year in advance when i went to reserve it