Newport, RHODE ISLAND

Most Recent Newport Camping Reviews
Nice and quiet!

Great place! Open year round and has a very calm and quiet environment. I've lived here full time for a few years.

Clean and comfy

Clean, comfortable campground aimed more towards glamping. Lots of rv sites and very nice cabins. Cleanest bathrooms I've ever seen at a campground.

Not the bargain it used to be!

I read the reviews and was excited to be in a state park near the water for such a reasonable price. Imagine my surprise when we found out that a water/electric site for an out of state camper was $45 per night! This was our first visit to a Rhode Island State Park so not sure if they are all like this but this one definitely caters to Rhode Island residents who camp in large RVs! The sites with the best views are the full hookups (water/electric/sewer) and the rates for out of state campers are significantly more than for residents. I’m used to paying $5 or even $10 more for being from out of state but here the fee is double or more for out-of-state campers. Geez– way to make us feel welcome!

There are four areas, and each has advantages and disadvantages. Area One has the best views and full hookups but there is no bathhouse; Area Two also has full hookups, no view and some of the sites (55-65) are decidedly not level; Area Three is for tents only with no hookups but is close to the bathhouse; Area Four has water and electric hookups, the pads are not paved (as in the others) but most of the sites have more separation than in the other sections. See the photo below to understand the different areas.

No matter where you camp, there are noise issues. Road noise continued throughout the night and there is a wind turbine on the property. I’ve never been this close to one and yes, there is noise, although the road noise bothered me more. Alcohol is prohibited throughout the campground. There are pay showers available. There are the remains of two bunkers but other than walking by them, you cannot go inside. One (in Area One) is a grassy knoll with stairs to a lookout.

On the plus side: The bathrooms were clean, there is excellent cell service, Judith Point lighthouse is nearby, it is close to the ferry to Block Island, and there are numerous recreation options available (playground, tennis courts, volleyball net, and basketball courts). Also, the grouchy staffer I read about in reviews was not there the night we arrived and, in fact, the two staffers were very friendly and even recommended a good restaurant in the nearby town.

One of my favorites

If you want a good visit do not stay down by the lake!!!

Good campground

Stayed here visiting Cape Cod and Boston.

Great Local Campground

Great campsite. I used to come here all the time when I was a kid and was so excited when it opened back up. We were located in the no electric no water area and even though every site was taken, it was surprisingly more private than you'd expect. The comfort stations (indoor bathroom and shower and outdoor sink area) were clean and well maintained and close to all the sites. The sites had both a firepit with a flip grill as well as an upright grill. Both were clean and ready to use when we arrived.  The boys had a blast swimming and kayaking at the pond and there was another comfort station right at the water. Leashed pets are welcome and we brought our pup for his first camping experience and he loved it too.

Nice but not my style

This is glamping campground. It has a pool, game rooms, and everyone is packed in pretty close.

I personally like state parks, lots of room and trees. I didn't feel that at Normandy farms but you might love it

Luxury camping

We stayed in a lean to for the Cotopaxi Questival In April. It ended up raining and in the mid 60s the entire time so it was great and kept us dry!

Driving around this place is definitely not a typical campground but more of a luxury camp because of all of the amenities.

That being said it was very nice and felt safe. The only reason I didn’t give it 5 star is because you can hear the highway nearby so it didn’t really feel like a campground. That’s a preference though.

Check out some of our videos from the competition! We found a little skeleton in our lean to so we made a short video, haha!

Simply the best!

The Preserve Club and Residences is a members/owners only community which is New England's most amenity rich properties, in fact it may be the only place in the world that has such a diverse amount of outdoor offerings.  Check it out.

Decent campground

The staff are very friendly and the campground is clean. The just remodeled one of two playgrounds in the camp. There is a lot to do for kids including a pool, jumping pillow, miniature golf and a train ride. There a lot of popular events such as an ice cream social and tie dying. Most weekends have themes. The only issue I have are some of the campers. They were filthy and rude. After the Friday night movie they left all their trash on the ground. The kids were riding their bikes on the bathroom handicap ramp. The kids were screaming at the pool and all over. One got hurt at the pool and an adult with the group told them no more horsing around even though he was the one who started it. It’s right off a major highway so you have noise including sirens. There are many places to visit around the area if you enjoy “doing the tourist thing”. Some tent sites are on the smaller side but most are good size. I’ll be honest, I only go to KOA for my son but I find this is one of the better ones. We were in T9 and T8 but we have also camped in T17 ( my favorite).

Great family campground.

Nice and clean campground with friendly staff. There are Plenty of activities offered like miniature golf, basketball, horseshoes, a game room, and more.

Family fun, very kid friendly

The campground is large with most areas that are in the trees and shade being seasonal.  That being said, we still had a nice site.  The staff is very friendly and responsive.  There are is a lot to do, especially for kids, including a train ride through the campground twice a day.  There is a nice pool, Boce ball, horseshoes, an arcade and mini golf.  They have weekend activities and music and apparently it gets very busy.  We stayed during the week, and it was quiet.  Bathrooms were clean and showers free.

One of my worst camping experiences

Pros - the campground is lovely to drive through and the sites are fairly nicely design with some privacy between sites (some sites have more some have less).  It's also nice to have access to the multitude of hiking trails and ponds.

Cons - the works.  We stayed around Charge Pond on a Friday and Saturday night, and even though the park has clearly stated quiet hours of 10 pm to 7 am (which includes generators), it was one of the loudest camps I've ever been to.  Several camp neighbors in our loop were up well past 1am loud as hell - talking loudly, screaming and yelling - even their kids!  And one site had their trailer generator running all night - there was absolutely no patrol of this campground at all, which is unacceptable on weekends in my opinion.  This place attracts some really awful people - there were several spots of vomit in the road Saturday morning, and on Sunday morning a neighbor could be heard at 6 am puking his guts out in surround-sound.  That plus the general noisiness, disrespect of other campers, and lack of patrol would keep me away alone, but the state of the facilities topped it off.  The women's room in Charge Pond loop A was filthy - it wasn't super outdated, but just not clean at all.  Every surface was absolutely disgusting, they had a 5-gallon plastic bucket to serve as the bathroom trash, and the entire place smelled like urine.  To top it off, when using it Sunday morning every single stall was out of toilet paper, and the whole place had very clearly had not been cleaned since Friday night.  I know campground bathrooms are usually not the best, but this was definitely one of the worst - I've used vault toilets that were cleaner!

I will never stay here again.

Nice little stop over

We were just here for a couple of nights in August. Had everything we needed: 50 amp, water, sewer. It was field-style camping, which I don’t mi d at all. Nice easy in and out of sites, lots of activities on the weekend, and nice area overall.

Quite, family friendly park.

The hosts were very accommodating. We got a nice spot backing up to the river. Very secluded, clean sites. There was not sewer drains, but it’s ok, they have a nice dump station on your way out. The camp store has some fishing gear and tubes, so the kids could float down the river.

Great time

We had a great time relaxing at the camp site it was quite and we had beautiful weather

Biggest KOA we have ever stayed at!

We wanted to explore the Cape and are members of the KOA rewards program so we chose here to stay. The staff were very nice and helpful. They had a big store and plenty of supplies and souvenirs, from sweatshirts to stickers. We then followed the map to get to our site. As we pulled around the office we saw all kinds of activities for kids. Bouncy "pillow", pool, bounce pad, sluice, miniature golf, and a playground. All the sites we saw had trees for shade. It was a very busy place but everyone seemed happy to be there. As the weekend went on we drove thru the whole campground just to check out the rest. They had many cabins, 2 dumps sites for campers, another huge playground. If I'm ever back in the area I will stay here again!

A very busy park in summer

This state park has a campground and a separate day use area for swimming and picnicking. The campground is family friendly and most of the sites are near the water. If you are looking for privacy and quiet, I recommend the F Loop. The other loops have sites close together and it is generally quite loud during the day. Quiet hours at night are not strictly enforced so you may hear people up and around until midnight or later.

We launched our kayaks from the day use area because the campground boat launch was extremely crowded. From here, we paddled south to the end of the pond and up the Pachaug River, eventually reaching the dam at Pachaug Pond. It's an 8 mile paddle with some tricky spots to navigate, but very pretty! This park also has plenty of trails for hiking and geocaching. The pond has some really big fish, but it's heavily covered with lily pads and there are a lot of submerged trees. If you're going fishing here, a weedless rig is the way to go.

Good but a little boring

I like this campground because it is close to home.  There isn't much to do here within the campground.  It has two areas.  The one nearer the camp entrance is smaller than the second.  The second one has a playground while the first one does not.  I would not recommend the first area if you have small children for this reason.  The playground is being revamped and looks awesome so far.  Unfortunately the bathroom right next to it is closed while the playground is being updated.  It is very hilly but many people enjoy riding their bikes here.  When driving, be careful of them.  I've hiked the trails and you have to be careful. They aren't always well maintained or marked.  They are right next to the main highway so you get car noise and can usually see them as well.  I find them to be uninteresting.  There is no swimming on site either.  On the positive side, the campground is within driving distance of great fishing, biking and tourist areas.

A true RV resort

Family friendly. Staff is nice. Campsites are big and we'll spaced. Bathrooms are best of any campground. Highly recommend.

I Love the out side

Friendly staff, clean bathroom, beautiful State Park to explore!

Great family campground!

The staff is super friendly and very helpful. Nice new pool and kiddie pool. Events for the kids as well as adults. Clean campground with updated bathrooms.

Underrated concert camping

This place is pretty awesome if you’re looking to see a show at the nearby Comcast center. It’s cheap, quiet, and affordable and very close (maybe ten mins or less to the venue) I’ve been staying here for years and love it!

Great campground!

Sites 99 & 101 are best for big groups !

Beach and Campground

The campground is clean and well maintained. There are many trails for hiking and a beach for swimming. There is a boat launch too.

Family Friendly

Not too pricey and clean With lots of activities for the family.

Peaceful and wooded

We have camped here many times, seasonally and weekend. Typically it’s very peaceful, you can have a nice fire and some drinks, or even party if you’d like and not usually hassled to much, lots of shaded woody sites. Pool and playground for the kids but not much else going on.