The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Chupadero , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Chupadero Camping Reviews
One of my favorite spots in NM

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS :) beautiful scenery and very clean! i liked the set up of the camp ground, very spacious but still felt like a nice community. 10/10 must see.

Nice and cozy

It has 60 RV Spots with hookups, 2 tent areas and some cabins. A playground, pool (closed due to Covid), dog run area and volleyball. The campground is very nice and clean but not too much to do around. They do however have a little store and gift shop and a game room.

Solid Spot

Road isn’t terrible going up, saw many 2WD vehicles. Good amount of spots but many have no shade/not level. Decent amount of traffic too. For being way out there there’s a lot of day hikers. Overall a fun weekend spot though.

Worth every penny

At $55/night I initially was a little skeptical. What is worth $55/night to pitch a tent. The owners here showed me. They really go above and beyond making each campground unique, hospitable, and artsy. There’s solar powered lights that come in at night that give just the right amount of festive touch without overdoing it or being too bright. There’s solitude yet connectedness. The spit we’re at, #3, is perfect for tents. Huge fire pit, great huge log benches, an awesome campfire cooking set, a charcoal grill as well, portapotty, trash can, water, and even a small welcome packet with cards and dish soap. It’s a lovely and thoughtful place. Just a hint of glamping - the perfect amount in my opinion. We’ll be back for sure. Oh the animals! How could I forget!?!?!? My daughter would come back for the pigs, goats, horses, cats, chipmunks, prairie dogs, and assorted other animals as well.
The owners are over the moon wonderful. Can’t say enough. One of the best camp sites I’ve ever been to.

Elbow Room

This is a private ranch on many acres. You cannot see any other campers from your site. No electricity but water is available near the owners home. This is boondocking in a very safe environment! You do not have to worry about anything. If you want to go in to Angel Fire and explore you will find plenty to do in this area or you can just stay on the ranch and hike, bike, ride ATV’s or just sit and watch the prairie dogs, horses, deer or whatever else decides to come by. The sites have fire pits, benches and even hammocks. I believe there is only 5 sites on this huge piece of property. The hosts made us feel comfortable and they came by every evening to gather trash.

A really nice spot

We enjoyed our weekend. The creek is very close and accessible, which is probably the highlight. There are plenty of hammock and shade trees. Sipapu resort is very close, so I was able to take my kid for a break from camping to get some “real food” ;) at the cafe. The pit toilets were really clean. My kid mentioned that specifically.

The negatives: Our site was really close to another site, which was not awesome. I prefer campgrounds where the sites are a bit farther apart. The road was not well maintained, but it wasn’t really a problem.

Gorgeous but busy campground

We arrived early on a Tuesday and snagged a tree heavy site on the upper loop. The sites on the outside of the loops are decently wooded, smaller and not well suited to RVs. The sites on the inside of the loops have longer, RV sized pull in and little trees. Vault toilets are well maintained by the very active camp host, Mark. There is potable water from a well two miles down the mountain and trash, but packing out much that can’t be burned is encouraged. Pick up firewood in Pecos, there is enough dead & down tinder at the site. Dogs allowed on leash at all times, quite time begins at 10pm. The closer we got to the weekend, the more crowded and noisy the site became. One night, multiple campers arrived after dark and noisily set up camp. I’m sure the state parks being closed forced more people into the National Forest, but it’s a great site. There are several trailhead and just down the hill is easy access to creeks and fishing. We had great weather, upper 70’s during the day, dipping to low 50’s overnight. Each site has large fire rings with cooking grates and at least one picnic table, some with two. Sites are close together so try to grab one at the end of the loop for a little privacy.

Did not Disappoint

Overall the campsite was great. I think we saw the host but maybe not, however, everything was still very well maintained. At night, when everyone is settling, with a clear sky, you get an amazing view of the stars. The only downside is that you can kind of hear the road traffic in the morning. Not too bad but it’s noticeable. I’ll be coming back for sure though.

Enjoy hiking , camping look nice

just went hiking in the surrounding area. But drove around and looked at the campsite looks like a nice place to go camping definitely willing to try it.

Great spot durning the week no one but weekend was packed

Took me 4 hours of picking up trash Lots of poop and used tampons Other then that good spot for rio grande trout fishing