About Villanueva State Park
No Sewer Hookups
Villanueva State Park is located in New Mexico
6 Reviews of Villanueva State Park
Loved it!

We were road tripping cross country and realized we wouldn’t make it to the campsite we originally planned for. We found this campground and it was fantastic. A little off the beaten path but was worth it. Each campsite had a picnic area some even had shelters over them! The lower campground was right next to the river (very high when we were there). The upper campground was open (where we stayed) the upper campground had pit toilets but they were well maintained. A short walk down the hill to the lower campground there were shower and restroom facilities. We stayed one night before hitting the road again only $10 for the non-hook up sites.

Great campgrounds

We went 2017 summer and it was one of the best campgrounds we have been to. We had lots of fun in the creek and hiking the trails.

Really pleasant park

The park itself is tucked away into a canyon between two towering cliffs. There are shady campsites along the Pecos river, which was a little high when we visited in June, but otherwise might be nice to float down on a tube. In fact, some adventurous neighbors were floating--but I was one mom and had 6 kids with me (between my own and some friends). There are also some campsites higher up with a commanding view, but less shade.

There is fishing in the river, hiking up to the mesas with commanding views, geocaching, a playground, showers, relaxation, and it is only a short drive to Las Vegas, NM. The adobe picnic shelters were wonderful. No phone signals in the park, but hiking up to the mesa will catch you a decent number of bars (as joyfully discovered by my teen). The campsites are really spacious, and water is easily accessible. The group shelter and camping area was gorgeous. There is a small visitor center with really friendly and helpful park staff.

While this campsite is not particularly visited by bears, etc., please be advised to keep your food OUT OF your tent. The squirrels and chipmunks are particularly good at finding food and did cut a hole through our neighbors tent to get to it! Likewise, unattended food at the campsite will be carried away by our four legged critters with super fluffy tails.

Great place to visit

There are a few prime reservable sites by the river, otherwise it is first come, first served. Most sites can accommodate either tent or rv camping, and some both. The playground and hiking trails are fun for kids. The general store in town is fair, but be selective on buying firewood. Sometimes it is fairly green. It is a campground I go to annually, the night skies are wonderful.

Nice location

Great get-away location. Near a stream, which can get a pretty fast current on run-off months, so careful with little ones and dogs. There are playgrounds for kids, many different sites, some pretty close together, some not so much. We camped as a group for cubscouts, and it wasn't bad but too spread out. The area is beautiful with nice hiking near by. The folks in the town are very friendly, I bought firewood from them for a great price, definitely got more than my money's worth.

Good Hiking, Nice Sites

A couple of good hiking trails, campsites right on the Pecos. I can imagine it gets a little busy, but it's an underrated park with nice, big sites, good fishing and hiking.