the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In
Fort Whaley Camp Ground is located in Maryland
7 Reviews of Fort Whaley Camp Ground
Family Campground near the beach

My kids and I stayed here for several weeks. We met lots of people and had a great time!

Very nice place

We had a great time at this Campground. The facilities are clean and well maintained and all of the staff was very accommodating.

We loved riding the bus to the water park (which is free) but we chose to drive to Assateague because they only drop off and pick up at the visitors center and the distance from there to the beach was a little far. Plus there was so many fun places to see on the island that we would not have done if we didn't drive ourselves, crabfishing and clamdigging can be done on the bay side, but it's a little far to walk with small children.

The campground has enough to keep you busy and most of it was surprisingly free. There are pedal boats and canoes that you can take out on the lake, which you can also fish in. My son had the most fun with just a solo cup scooping up minnows, tadpoles and these crazy jumping shrimp (which startled the hell out of me when he proudly brought the cup over for me to inspect his catch lol). There is a nice pool and a very nice mini golf course that we played almost every night because it was a fun thing to do after dark and before bed. The daytime activities for kids were fun as well and my son even "set the alarm" so he wouldn't miss out on tie dyeing a t-shirt. They also have a variety of sporting goods to borrow at the store, horseshoes, basketballs, and whiffle ball sets to name a few. The playgrounds were nice and they also have a small skateboard\BMX ramp area, as well as a very cute dog park with their own playground equipment.

As with any campground store, things are a bit pricey but I was surprised to find out that their price on a container of Old Bay seasoning was actually cheaper than the crab shack where we bought a bushel of crabs for dinner. I had intended to stop at a dollar general but forgot and decided to check the camp store before going back out and they were a few dollars cheaper than the crab shack and even though I don't know how much it would have been at a different store, I was happy to not have to go anywhere else. Ice is also comparible to Walmart or other convenience stores. However, if you intend to have a campfire, find a cheaper place along the road because you're going to pay about $1.25 per log at the camp store.

Overall, we had a great time at this campground and the rates were very reasonable compared to other places nearby. We would love to camp on Assateague someday but, like Burning Man, you have to be prepared to camp on sand in full sun and put up with wild animals raiding your camp looking for food, lol. Someday maybe, but I would definitely be interested in coming back to Fort Whaley!

Best of both worlds

This campground is about 20 minutes to Ocean City boardwalk and about 25 minutes to Assateague Island, where the wild horses roam.

Your 8 Miles from Walmart for all your needs. This campground does have a local woman selling fruit and veggies during the day. They have a great store with all your needs plus hot/cold food to order. The campground has a new golf course that is free to campers. They offer shuttles to the beach or their sister Campground Frontiertown. Your camping also includes FREE admission to Frontiertowns water park, which is pretty good on a hot day.

The pool is a nice size and refreshing. They have done great activities for the kids to keep them busy.

We will be back.!

Plenty of perks with little crowd!

This is our favorite campground! It is close enough to ocean city we can enjoy the beach daily but far enough to relax in the woods! This campground is the small sister campground to frontier town. They have a free shuttle bus to provide transportation to assateaque island, frontier town, and ocean city. Campers here are eligible for discounts at frontier town as well! We tent camp but there are RV sites and cabins as well. There is an arcade, camp store, heated pool, playground, dog park, and mini golfing! The main pavilion has rentals for recreational equipment at no extra cost (hula hoops, balls, etc.) There are also themed weekends and scheduled activities throughout the week! The bathhouses are cleaned many times a day and the showers are spacious enough. The staff here is friendly and welcoming. Each tent site is far enough away from the other that you feel spread out and private. This is definitely a place I recommend to friends and family.

Greatly improved

under new management. It is a wonderful campground. You can enjoy free mini golf, free pool and waterside, free canoeing, and free billiards. It is about 20 min to ocean city but they have a free bus to take you to ocean. Great prices nice staff

nice campground

very clean bathrooms. roomy sites. the people that work here are really friendly and helpful. will definitely stay here again. the free water park at frontier town, sister campground, was very nice too.

Great Cabins

Great and very quiet in the off season.