The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Harding , GEORGIA

Most Recent Harding Camping Reviews
Quite very peaceful

Very peaceful park some nice walking paths beautiful wildlife around enjoyed it

Memorial Day Weekend 2020

We tent camped for 2 nights in campsite #1 in campground #1. This site is the first site to the right when you pull into the campground. There are trash cans at the campground exit and a direct line of sight view of the dump station. The west river trail runs right behind the campsite. The site itself is spacious with plenty of shade. There are a couple of good sets of trees for hanging a hammock. The electric box is a little further from the tent pad (which is packed sand and not gravel) than most sites I’ve stayed at, so I was happy that I brought an extension cord. The camp restrooms are adequate but not at all ADA accessible at campground #1. There are 3 toilet stalls, 2 that have working latches, and 2 shower stalls- both with working latches. Both of the showers have a small little room for you to change clothes with a hook on the wall and a hook on the door and a little bench. If you’re tall, be ready to duck to get your head under the water because the shower heads are low. Temperature and pressure were good. Bonus perk- stray cats at the campground.

The park itself has some cool trails. We hiked the west river trail all the way to the farm at the front of the park. It took us over wooden boardwalks over swampy Cyprus areas and through the forest around the 17 mile river. It was pretty and the heritage tobacco farm was really cool. There are restrooms and a coke machine at the farm. The coke machine takes cards, but bring lots of water with you. There are lots of animals that are used to being fed, so buy some food at the visitor’s center, or prepare to be made to feel guilty. The farm is situated next to a small lake, and when the world isn’t shutdown due to COVID-19, they rent boats. The lake is big enough to boat around in for a little while and there are fish to be caught- carp from what I could tell.

There was a small gravel road that split off from the first group picnic shelter area that takes you down to the 17 mile river for fishing access. The 17 mile river dries up some years, but the deeper “lakes” keep water in them during those dry years. The river wasn’t flowing while we were here, but there was some standing water in places that would have been dry if it hadn’t rained recently.

The park is about an hour and a half drive from the main entrance of the Okefenokee swamp. We drove down there and rented a kayak so we both could go paddle the swamp. On the way down there, somewhere outside of waycross, we passed a mudding course, if that’s more your style.

Overall, this is someplace that I probably wouldn’t come back to because I’ve done all the things that the park has to offer, and there are more parks to explore. It’s definitely worth a visit for a night or two, or as a jumping off point for other activities this part of the state has to offer.

Great Treasure in Nicolls, Georgia

Great state park in Nicholls, GA. Restrooms clean, campsites are easily accessible.

Fun Campground for a short stay

Campsites– some spots are spacious like the pull thru but it appears everyone shares one electrical box with a neighbor. Pull thru sites are nice packed gravel/clay and a lot of the back in sites are grassy. There are longer stays available here and some of the sites have that “little too comfortable” look. There is a military base in town, so I am sure this used by military and government workers at times. You will have to call and make your reservation. From past experiences- it is good to double check your reservation or have them email you/mail you your confirmation- check to make sure the site you are assigned has the hook up you are paying for and if you have to share an electrical box you need to find out if there are two 50 amps or if one user gets a 30 amp and the other gets a 50AMP.

There are a couple of cabins and there is also a tent/group camping area too.

Bathhouse- has a washers/ dryers in a screened in area. Bathroom facility is older but maintained. NOTE–> Only one Shower and one family shower

WIFI was only ok- we thought we would get better being so close to Albany. It was better with our boosters, and we used verizon jet packs with our sprint phones.

Activities- we always camp here when we participate in the annual Nut Roll biking event (30-100 mile options)

There is a small wild life park with animal exhibits(extra fee) , hiking trails, mountain biking trails, fantastic playground and water element for kids, BMX track, remote control car track, disc golf and kayaking/fishing just outside the park entrance. There is a more extensive review on our website about the activities.

So much potential...

A little background: I used to live five minutes from this park, and it used to be the first campground we visited every year to work out all the gear details. Back then (2012-2015), it was great! Absolutely beautiful, well maintained, gorgeous.

Now… the park itself is still great. Obviously it was hit by a hurricane, but the cleanup and improvements are coming along in those areas. They playground has always been amazing and they’ve added a Splash Pad right next to it. (We were in town to visit family so we didn’t get to enjoy those this time).

But y’all are here for a campground review, so here it is.

Registration. You cannot register online, you must do it on the phone or in person. All of the sites with full hook-ups are taken by long-term folks (probably staying there while their homes are being rebuilt from the tornadoes and hurricane?), so they are $20 a night for water/electric. When you register over the phone, you are charged an additional $15 fee. (When I checked in, they said I would receive a refund of that $15 as a check in the mail…?). When I called the day of check-in to get the gate code, they had no idea who I was and initially wanted me to pay for a site, again. After some shuffling they finally found my paperwork.

The tent-only side still looks fine. Plush grass, large spaced out sites.

However, the RV side looks a bit rough. The sites are no longer gravel, just dirt (or, this weekend, mud) and some grass. The sites aren’t maintained between campers (as I got a half burned log, empty pack of smokes, and paper plates in mine). I was actually placed on site 7, which on the campground map is NOT a “buddy” (shared) site, and told to just plug into the same pole as the guy on Actual Site 7. Thankfully he was 50A and I was 30A so it worked out. (Although oddly enough, several full sites remained empty the whole time I was there). It rained most of the weekend, and everything was covered in wet dirt chunks when I left.

The bath house… could use a little love and a fresh coat of paint. If you can avoid the side bathrooms (maybe handicapped? The ones with just a toilet and shower), then do so. Aside from teeming with flying wildlife (which, it’s South Georgia, you have to kind of expect that), it could have used a good cleaning. The regular restrooms were passable (better than some gas stations but not as clean as state/national park I usually visit).

I understand that the area was impacted by a hurricane last year… but a little bit of cleanliness and care goes a long way.

Nice family park

We went camping at Chehaw Park July 13th – 15th of 2018. All the sites were grassy and pretty much level with picnic tables, really tall pine trees, 20/30/50 amp service, water and some with sewer. The Park as a whole is very nice, asphalt roads and parking lots, except for campground it has dirt/gravel roads, dirt bike track, R/C track, small water park and pavilions Call to reserve a site and make sure you get the gate code.

This is a good place to take the family.

Historic

Quiet. Off the beaten path. Near Douglass, Ga. Abour 30 minutes to Broxton Rocks.

Really nice. Zoo in park with a train. Running, biking trails. Fishing and

Not much to do in town but this is a great park. Very nice at Christmas.

Home away from home

This little jewel has everything you need for a great time. Plenty of good walking trails and a great petting zoo. I love the old houses, it gives you a feeling of what it was like 100 years ago

Great Campground

We have gone to this campground a couple of times now and every time we go it has been a great visit. We love buying carrots to feed all the farm animals and if you want some good exercise rent one of the pedal boats.