Alturas, FLORIDA
Most Recent Alturas Camping Reviews
Nice Park

I like renting the fishing boat.

Great family campground!

Rent the go cart! Only $60 a day but well worth it! Big park so lots of walking if you don’t have the cart (or you can bring your own and/or bikes).  Our grandsons loved the golf cart! They have two pools, one geared for kids (closed at 11pm) and another one more for adults (open 24 hours).  Bathrooms were extremely clean and air conditioned. Campfire show and movie at night and don’t forget to bring your s’mores to roast! Fireworks and light parade over the lake at night as well. Our space was 1109 and very nice…towards middle of park. They have about three or four places to eat if you don’t want to cook.  No mosquitos which is so rare for Florida but Disney goes to great lengths to rid the mosquitos.  Great time …. you will love it!

Disney being Disney.

Of course the experience is great. Lots of water since the rain has been insane. Just hit the pool and nothing else. It’s always fun coming here.

Third visit

Nice campground. Stayed in the back, so pretty quiet. Our third time here. Kids love the ability to ride their Bikes around the campground and love the pool. Plenty of deer to watch throughout the day. Had issues with the laundromat. Could not use my credit card, had to use my card app on my phone. Other than that, I look forward to going here again

Ranger Review INNO INH540 bike rack at Hillsborough River State Park

I typically avoid tent camping here in the summer months– early summer the trails are heavy with mosquitoes and summer rains bring a large amount of flooding. Though in the fall winter and spring this park is AMAZING. We were very lucky on this trip to have snagged spot at the high part of the riverside loop. Sites 20 and 21 typically stay dry enough for tents. Sites along the river side of loops are prone to flooding some holding as much as 4-6 inches of water.

This trip was a short overnight to get rid of some pent up cabin fever. We loaded up a tent and the bikes, praying for dry weather. The mosquitoes were not bad, almost none, the the river was near flood stage and inches from overflowing its bank near the campground.

The 2.5 mile loop from main entrance is perfect for biking, be careful near the pool area that is VERY crowded in the summer as many locals visit and it will reach capacity early in the day. You can rent bikes and canoes at the concession area near the stand if you did not bring your own. The grounds are beautifully kept, campground hosts are helpful, bathrooms clean and playground areas are plentiful. There are very nice pavilions and one air conditioned building available for rent for special events. If you are visiting in the summer call to make sure the site you booked is dry.

We did see where one person got his travel trailer stuck on the mud trying to get into his site. There are very few tent campers in the summer so be prepared if you are tent camping to hear neighbors a/c running all night.

I get products to test from time to time- today I am testing the INNO INH540 Bike Rack On first impression upon receiving– this is a heavy duty rack! Shipping weight is nearly 50lbs. and came fully assembled. This bike rack will fit both 1.25 and 2 inch receivers. We first tried to mount on my Jeep Liberty but we need to get a receiver extension as our spare tire prevented installation. So we mounted on our Dodge 1500 truck. I had to have my husband help me slip it into the receiver(was a bit awkward for me to do on my own).

I was very pleased to find the unit came with a hitch lock that was keyed the same as the cable lock for the bikes. Rack came with 2 keys so we each have a key on our ring and can access without looking for it.

The bars are adjustable and the rotating upper and lower cradles are well designed. The support bars also fold down when not in use. Another nice feature is locking pivot at base that will allow you to tilt the rack out of the way of tailgate to enable access without removing the entire rack.

The rack will hold 4 bikes up to 35 lbs each or a total of 140 lbs. We have mountain bikes with less space on crossbars of frame so was a bit tight to get loaded. Loading was much easier once we did it a couple times and got used to where we needed to place the cradles. Street bikes load with no issues,(we borrowed the neighbors bikes to test and to show off our new INNO bike rack– they were jealous)!

Order yours today from https://www.innoracks.com/ You will not be disappointed!

Nice!

This place is very clean, and the staff is very friendly. Conveniently located near Disney world and universal studios. Lots are spaced far enough apart for privacy. Not a whole lot of shade trees, but we still enjoyed the park!

Good place

Good place. 30/50 amp plugs, concrete pads. Water and sewer hook ups. They have a pool. Didn’t use the bath house. Outside the park isn’t the best area but it’s a short 20 min drive to most of the amusement parks. Easy late check in.

Quiet

We stayed middle of July for 4 days. Only saw 3 other campers the whole time. Park is super quiet and there is a ton of wildlife roaming. Dog friendly, they provide poop bags by the dumpsters. Cell service is practically non existent in the park and within 10 miles from the park. Keep an eye on gas, there’s one place about 6 miles from the park and town is about 15 miles away. Cow camp is only open oct-May. Only 30amp hook up and no sewer, but there is a dump station. The spots are pretty level and the pads are crushed shells. Spot 9 is fully concrete. Most of the spots are fully shaded with trees. If you have a tall rv low hanging branches in the camp area might be an issue. Bath house is very clean and at night the lights are on timers. Cracker shack doesn’t have much and only open fri-Sunday. Only a 30 minute drive to legoland.

Beautiful views

The campsites along the lake offer fantastic views. You can canoe/kayak on there 2 lakes. The hiking trail could be better maintained and it offers very little shade.

Best In Florida !

This is a great place to go! Get your family and your bikes! So much to do, you don’t have to go to any amusement park! Activities are everywhere. For free! Pool games, make movies. Beach, playgrounds. It is expensive to stay.

Stolen purse

My wife has her purse stolen today in the park for one of the employers the park and officers dont gave the attention of the case need and the police dont do any report

I am so desapoint

Pleasant and convenient

We stayed in this campground for 5 days. The pads are washed before each guest arrives. Sites are roomy and allow plenty of space to park the tow vehicle with ample room remaining. The resort/campground provides transportation to all of the parks and within the resort area, too. Two stores and and four restaurants are available in the campground, but are most easily accessible by bicycle or golf cart. Golf carts are available to rent, but there were none available during our stay. Personal golf carts are allowed, and I’d strongly suggest having one. Plenty of activities are available for families and mostly geared toward younger campers; campfire, s’mores, movies, and visits from Disney characters. The resort has two pools, each with its own atmosphere. One has a spray ground and waterside while the other is meant to be quiet and relaxing. We spent most of our time in the parks, but found that we could get around in the campground on our bikes when we did need to go somewhere besides the amusement parks. There are plenty of activities that give families a break from the amusement parks. The staff is always helpful and friendly. Someone is always available for assistance or general information. There was always someone at the bus stop to ensure guests knew where they needed to go. And overflow parking area is provided for guests who have to move out of the campground at the end of their stay, but still want to spend more time in the amusement parks. This was very helpful for us, we got a few extra hours before we left the area.

It's Disney!

What can I say? There's not a single bad thing about this campground. The site is cleaned before I got there, and I don't mean straightened up, it's scrubbed clean. Perfectly level concrete pad at the perfect angle to easily back into. The buses come often enough.

Lake Louise

Michael this is a great Park people-friendly canoes available spent four days had a great time

Second time camping at Lake Manatee

It’s a state park close to home. We love the convenience of the park as well as the tranquility. Although there’s not a whole bunch to do we enjoyed walking around near the canoe launch and boat dock area. We’ve stayed in campsite 19 and 26 which are both nice spacious sites. Bathhouses are pretty clean!

Definitely bring bug spray!

Firewood is available for purchase at the ranger station for $5 Bikes are available for $2 an hour also at the ranger station

We will definitely be back for another relaxing weekend :)

Little expensive but fun

Lots of things for kids to do! Also has a rodeo every Saturday night! The only down fall is the prices are a little expensive, other than that lots of fun.

Great Family Time!

Great campground with lots of activities. I’ve found that Full-Hookup sites are preferable, IMO, to Premium ones.

Very nice

Growing up, this was one of our go-to campgrounds because we had jet skis and it was nice that they have their own boat ramp for guests to use. They do a lot of games and kid-friendly interactions on big weekends (holidays). The last time I was there, they expanded their sites, but all the new sites have absolutely no shade so I would not recommend that side during the hot summer months. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Very clean, pool is nice and they have a game room.

Depends on the weekend

My husband and I have camped here numerous times, I actually frequented this campground with my family growing up, and we have had more good experiences than bad (from what I can remember we only had 1 bad experience). It used to be more family oriented than it is now, but still family friendly (it’s nothing like the crazy parties at mud holes like RYC and those places). I feel they have started to nickel and dime the customers (IE - you have to pay extra per day to use your AC in your camper and you have to have a wristband to even ride and ATV/SXS/golf cart). It’s gets pretty crowded on holiday weekends, which could be fun or annoying, depends on the type of person you are. I like that they are staying to do events with live bands on the weekends to bring in more customers (look on their Facebook page), but like I said, we frequent this campground and overall, do and will continue to recommend to our friends and family. I think my favorite part about this campground is the site options. They have buddy sites that you can share with up to 4 campers. It’s great for when we bring friends with us, so we all share a concrete/brick pad but they do sell out fairly quickly so plan in advance if you’re going on a holiday weekend.

Aging state park, still a great place to camp!

This one is local for us, but we have had electrical issues on our last two stays. Great sites, wildlife and bath houses for this one. We have experienced power surges and a total power outage on our previous stay, causing us to leave early. Still a favorite, but they really need to work on the infrastructure.

Words can’t describe

Amazing and Disney always treat you like Royalty 24-7

Its Disney

Great campsites the only reason for 4stars is cost. Expensive camping for 1 or 2. The plus is you are allow up to 10 on a campsite. Plenty to do. Private sites.  Reservations ned to be booked way out. Can jandle the larger rv’s.

Great park

Camping is first come first serve but gives you access to the park after hours. Camp sites are bit close to one another but overall amazing experience. I have had fun at Medard no matter the situation camping, grilling, family time, or disc golf.

Beautifully Kept Property

Having stayed at Lake Louisa State Park serval times we’ve enjoyed very spacious sites with beautiful views and an exceptionally clean property. The multiple lake views where so peaceful, I think the beach was my favorite by far.

Dry Season camping only

There are 2 campsites available on this tract - Primitive site is accessible by car, back country by foot only. A free reservation is required for either and must be displayed or available - so make sure you take a copy with you.

Primitive Site - When you receive permit you will also receive a code to get through locked gate. Camp is just down road. These sites are heavily used during open hunting dates on this property. Once those dates have passed it is used typically by the locals for a close by adventure. At the campground the property boundary boarders a mobile home park which you will see on the approach road. There are no amenities except a port o let on site and sparse picnic tables. Make sure you bring bug repellent and keep food locked up.

Back-country Site - Again a no cost permit is required though you will not need a gate key. closest parking area is off Chancy road. It is about a 10 - 15 min hike from parking to site (in season wild blueberries along trail are wonderful). Cleared area is compact so will not hold a group of more than 5-6. There is a picnic table and fire pit. Make sure you bring bug repellent and keep food locked up.

There are 14 miles of trails to explore and you will have on foot access to the Hillsborough River. Where trail crosses river there is no bridge. Fishing and frogging allowed throughout year. Make sure you have your license with you! Hiking between the sites is a great way to see the property. There are many different ecosystems to enjoy and property is seasonally very wet.

Group Camping with Girl Scouts

The group camping site at Hillsborough River State Park is perfect for all scouting adventures. The group site can hold multiple troops at a time and is away from the regular tent and rv camping sites It typically is booked up on weekends 3-4 months in advance but during the weekdays is seldom used. Church groups and other not for profit organizations can book this space if the scouts have not - but they are given first opportunity according to park staff that I worked with.

There is plenty of wildlife in this part of the park, group camp is a short walk from rapids Trail and gift shop, canoe rentals and other concessions. Fishing along the river is hit or miss - and there are alligators so refrain from fishing with chicken or liver. There is a large fine for harassing a gator (or feeding them) and this is strictly monitored. If you get a gator on your fishing line you should call a ranger  - do not just cut your line.

Bathrooms at the group site are something to be desired. They are are small, even tiny…and as old as the park. Just forget about the group camp shower… There are nicer facilities a short 10 min walk down the road near gift shop where you will also find a play ground.

Winter months are best- that is when mosquitoes are not too bad. June and July are nearly impossible to find relief from these insects.

I personally camped in a hammock and had a baby raccoon playing with my lines at night. YOU HAVE TO SECURE YOUR FOOD!

There are lots of picnic tables to have for seating and nice fire pits.

Handi-capable Camping

Colt Creek State Park is one of the newer parks in the Florida State Park System. We had the opportunity to camp at one of the handicap accessible sites recently and found it to be very convenient. Path and pad on site were roomy and fire pit was higher than usual for safety. These tent sites had water and electric as well. There are 2 of these sites available and both are easily accessed from handicap parking close by. Because this is a new er park the trees have not grown in well enough yet to provide adequate shade so be prepared for that. There is a lovely fishing doc with easy access and bathrooms are just wonderful. There is a paved trail as well as wide dirt trails to explore. This is a great place to visit. Camp hosts were wonderful as well.

Nice place

Nice place, love the boat docks, pretty quite and relaxing.

Glamping Disney Style

If you love the outdoors and the magic of the mouse, this is the spot. Dont go over the summer months unless in an rv or cabin though. Too hot