Alturas, FLORIDA
Most Recent Alturas Camping Reviews
Below expectations...

The bathrooms are pretty nice, as is the pool we went to. Camp sites do not have burn rings, are close together and not private. Everything needs reservations though and the pick up and drop off times for the golf carts are very inconvenient. The arcade at the facility by the ferry was awful. Games not working and taking money, things falling apart, other games malfunctioning. Needless to say that was very unfortunate for our 9 year old and us after we put twenty some dollars on an arcade card for a bunch of broken games. Really for the price and location, I was pretty disappointed. It is a glorified, needing of updating and maintenance, overpriced campground because of its affiliation. Put this out in the country or somewhere lesser known and it’d get 5/6 stars out of 10; all day long. But it is still the cheapest way to stay at Disney.

Great campground, but needs to be bigger

I have been camping in Fort Wilderness since 1972. We used to pull up to the check-in and get any loop we wanted. Always picked Loop 100, 200 or 400. Now when you want to stay there it's hard to get in at all. The rates went crazy, as a Florida resident I can stay in one of the hotels just about the same price and they make my bed. At one time if you owned Disney Stock you could stay for half price on non blackout times. Bought 6 shares and then they quit that program. I would rate it 5 stars except it being hard to get in anymore. I have reservations for September and will enjoy it. Wish they would double the size of it.

Close to the magic

Gets filled quickly. Fun place and cost effective way to enjoy Disney Magic.  Everything you need is there…

Fantastic

Make sure to go to the Hoopty doo review dinner show!

This is penultimate “camping”

We think this the best way to experience WDW. It is supremely organized and amazingly clean. The comfort stations are high end. The spaces are surprisingly spacious. There are different levels of site amenities, but all are terrific. Do yourself a favor and book the premium. (RV) It is all hard surface and level. The lesser priced sites are all level too but use a crushed shell material that track all over in your RV. Full hookups are of course available, along with cable TV, and wired internet. Two pools, two stores, two restaurants. Take a boat to MK. DO NOT miss the Hoop-De-Do show at the lake end of the campground. You get all the perks of staying at a hotel resort here, but sleep in your own bed. Make your reservations as far in advance as possible to get the dates you want. Check in is fun even if there is a line. Rent a golf cart, you’ll be sorry if you don’t, the campground is gigantic.

Beautiful, fishing, wildlife, trails

Dduring summer you'll need bug spray

Great intro to camping

Has great bathrooms and plenty of hiking. Close to Orlando and 10 minutes from Publix so it won’t really matter if you forget something. If you are going with a larger group, check out the multi family sites. They are basically 3 individual sites out together with one fire ring. They’re huge and all close to the bathrooms. The rangers are very…attentive so make sure to respect their rules.

Very nice, close to the parks

Cant think of a better place to stay and go to the parks in Orlando. Very well kept, nice pool, good little store, laundry, convenient, clean, lots of family activities to do. I'm going back in OCT.

My Family and myself love Hillsborough!!!

Ive been going to Hillsborough for years. It's a great place to go and relax by the pool or take a walk along the river. It's absolutely beautiful and I'm going to continue to return for many more years.

Very Nice

Very nice place, close to everything. They had a pool, shuffle board and tennis courts. Nice level sites with water, sewer and 50 amp.

It’s Disney

What can I say, everything is just about right, except the price. We went over Easter (spring break) and it was too busy. But it was clean and the staff is awesome. They were really helpful.

Smh

Sherwood Forest isn’t the best campground we have stayed in. The staff doesn’t help out much, the water turns off a lot and so does the electric from time to time. If you have a problem they act like your the crazy one.

Great place to bring the family!

Peaceful, clean, natural environment

A Hidden Gem

Wow… a few miles from home and one I will visit often! This lovely county run park you will find at the end of a 15 min drive down a back country road. There is so much to see and do here. The campsites are well shaded. (unless grounds were full when you reserved and you took option to camp in adjoining astronomy field). I would have rated a 5+ except that there is only 1 small bathhouse in campground. There are other bathrooms on property though. Staff on phone are not overly friendly - but do not let that dissuade you from booking a spot here!

There are multiple tent camping sites dispersed on property and 1 primitive site that you have to hike into. The group site is very popular with local scouts! The RV/Tent sites are roomy and not too close together - but not very private either. There is a dump station onsite

Next to campground you will find a historic church, a large and small cabin available for rent, 2 playgrounds, shelters, large pavilion with grill/fire pit, fishing dock, canoe launch, paved bike trail hiking trails and an observation tower. On new moon nights the local astronomy club uses neighboring field to gaze at the stars. This place is quiet and dark at night!

Wildlife did not seem to be a problem at camp (but we are very careful with trash). There are lots of birds, deer and fishing was good on the river.

You might have to compete with us for a reservation here - we will be back!

Best time camping

I’ve been camping my entire life in the woods in New England or out west in northern Nevada. But Disney camping or “glamping” is a first for me and so much fun! My first time at Disney and camping at Disney was for my honeymoon two years ago and now we go back every year with our son. It’s really an amazing experience.

Close to attractions

We stayed here a lot when we first moved to Florida and loved it. We stayed in the tent ⛺️ area because it was the most cost effective. What you should know about the tent area is that it is not drive up, you have to walk a short distance to your site.

One thing that we loved about the location is that it is close to all of the attractions. We actually walked home from Universal Studios to our campsite one night.

Some other things to know you can only stay for 14 days at a time and only 14 days in a month. This was an issue for us as we were working in the area and camping full time. This seemed to be the case with all of the county parks in the area, so we had to move every two weeks.

Apparently you can stay longer in the RV Park, but they wouldn’t let us with our roof top tent. They went as far as to say that it is illegal. We looked into it latter and found that not to be true. Apparently it is illegal in Orlando to camp in a tent within city limits. This does not apply to roof top tents though as they are not on the ground. They were a bit rude about the whole thing and after being lied to, it left a bad taste in our mouths.

Remember that the tent sites are not drive up? Yea, we couldn’t use our roof top tent there either, fortunately we carried a ground tent too.

Some other things to know, the tent sites are close to the highway/ turnpike so there is always traffic noise. Some weekends and during breaks it is a training ground for high school rowing teams (you are not allowed to use a canoe in the lake either, but somehow rowing is ok) and there are competitions. So it can be busy then and noisy in the morning when they are training and competing.

Don’t look too closely at the girls in their tight athletic outfits either. Our neighbor got tossed out for that and complaining about their littering (which was a legitimate complaint there were water bottles littered everywhere when they were there).

So those are the pros and cons. In spite of the negative stuff we would and have gone there again as it is a nice spot.

❤️❤️

Love that they have a splash pad and lots of hiking trails

Very nice

Site was a little small for our tent (14 x 14 foot though). Other than that, campground was great! Had rental bikes and a pool. Bathrooms were nice and clean.

There's nowhere like Disney

I know, I know, before you start the "that's not camping, it's Disney"… Okay, yes, it's Disney, but it's not like visiting anything else on Disney property. You don't feel like you're at Walt Disney World, with thousands of other people. We reserved one site, and had 5 adults and 3 kids staying there comfortably. Two tents and two cars and we still had room around the fire pit and picnic table.

It is surprisingly quiet at night, considering the size and amount of kids running around. The amenities are endless. You really can just stay within the campground and not visit the Parks and have a great time. From horseback riding to hiking, canoeing, fishing and boating, there is so much to do! One of my favorite things that I have been doing since I was a kid is going to watch a movie under the stars. They do it every night and have free s'mores for the kids and Chip n Dale come to meet them. It's really a fun night, for young and old.

There are a couple of restaurants and little general stores with basic groceries, so they really make it so you have everything you need.

Being Disney, it's a bit higher than your average campground, but the amenities and perks make up for it. Should you choose to include the Parks, you can take advantage of Extra Magic Hours, with free transportation throughout Disney property.

It really is a magical place!

We love it!

It’s so much fun! If you bring kids make sure you bring bikes and scooters! The Chip and Dale thing they have is great! Roast marshmallows and dance with Chip and Dale. You can bring your golf cart or rent one. There are horses and pony rides. We love the Mickey backyard BBQ if we can afford it. Little kids love dancing with the characters. And all you can eat and drink plus wine and beer. The kids would rather camp there than go to the crowded park.

Ranger Review: ICEMULE Cooler at Peace River

Campground Review: If you are looking for a clean, remote, large camping area, with large spread out sites and few amenities - this is it. Reservations for the Oak Hill campground can only be acquired through the Peace River Canoe Outpost. They maintain, clean and patrol the sites in addition to hauling your gear/firewood there so you do not have to paddle down the river with it. Sites have picnic tables, fire rings and port-o-lets available.

You can hike around the peninsula of Oak Hill and explore, look for fossils and sharks teeth at the waters edge or just site back and enjoy the peace and quiet. We had no trouble from squirrels or raccoons (we hung our trash out of reach just in case). Kids will find a way to keep busy exploring but there is space for a bit of catch or game of Frisbee.Manhunt was popular on our trip! These sites are very popular with scouting troops and locals - call easily to schedule your trip especially on weekends!

Product Review: As a “Ranger” for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time – this weekend I tested the ICEMULE Pro backpack cooler. This cooler was the large model (23L) in my favorite color green! Product was put through it’s paces on a hot spring day in Florida while kayaking on the Peace River. We packed a couple frozen water bottles and a few chilled bottles and everything for breakfast casserole for 11 the next morning, 2 small icepacks and a quart size back of loose ice cubes. Everything held temperature. We barely had room to fold over top 3 times as suggested and we did inflate just a small bit to add to the insulation properties per instructions using small valve on side of bag. Backpacking straps were a bonus for carrying to the launch and back to camp!

This cooler is so well built and tough! All seams are well put together and sturdy exterior fabric will surely last though quite a bit of abuse. I did not test to see if it floats when full as advertised. This cooler rolls up nice and small when empty and for storage – but mine will not see much storage time – this cooler will be going out on the water with me all summer! The ICEMULE Pro outperformed 2 other coolers persons in our party brought… they will be purchasing one like mine soon!

Wow! What a great find on a cool spring Tuesday.

We arrived to check in only to fine we were to get the last remaining campsite available. After checking in we drove to our campsite. The campsites are large and well spaced. With a lot of room in between them. A gravel back in drive area that contained a fire pit a grill, electric and water. A short walk to the bathrooms that were well laid out, large and exceptionally clean. After dinner we walked the camp road and enjoyed the night sky. Every star was out and clearly visible. Withe night turning cool and the skeeters emerging we headed into our cozy van camper to read and sleep the night away.

I was up early to see the rain clouds forming, the air was chilled and the liquid sunshine was starting to drip. Quickly making the coffee and tea on the Coleman camp stove proved to be a good decision. Packing up and taking down the pop-up shade awning went smoothly and we ate our breakfast in the van.

Time to explore the whole camp. The Youth camp are was beautiful and large. The Equestrian camp area was well laid out and well kept. On to a very large screened room with toilet facilities at the fishing and boating area. The ramp for putting in your kayak or canoe was great and the dock area was a joy to be on and use.

Colt Creek State Park - 16000 State Road 471 - Lakeland, FL - 33809 (863)815-6761

Awesome family time. Did not do parks just camped so much to do and so fun

Transportation is available but we rented a golf cart and took our bikes!! Lots to see and do. Will be returning

Premier Camping

One of, if not the best campground, we have ever visited. Been there many times, getting pricy, just to camp.

Near Orlando parks

Moss Park is a great hidden gem. It’s about 30 minutes to Disney. The sites are great and it’s nestled between lakes. Amazing wildlife too!

Clean and well maintained.

It is a first come, first serve type campground. Very pretty and wooded for Florida. Great to bike around and see everything. Neat to see gators. Will definitely go back.

Full service nudist resort

Heated pools

hot tubs

lots of sports pickle ball golf tennis paddle boats

Since I was a kid

I’ve been camping here since I was a kid. And now that I’m nearly 40 I’ve even brought my kids here camping. One of my most favorite sites ever but that’s also because I’ve been coming for so long.

Oakridge Equestrian Area

We stayed here for 7 days. Nice free area with a gate that is locked to keep those without reservations out. Ptetty far from the main road so you dont hear a lot of traffic. Plenty of room for tent or RV camping. No hookups or dumpsites. There is a pump well for non potable water and a port a potty on site. Miles of trails and plenty of space to explore.

A good place for a short stay

We stayed here for a few nights but our reservations were cut short due to flooding. Small enclosed area for tent and RV camping. Shaded pavillion and a few fire rings. Port a Potry was however atrocious. Good thing there is a Circle K just down the raod a few miles. Downside is that locals drive thru the turnaroind at all hours of the night and the roads are in bad repair.