About Molas Lake Public Park
Municipal
Molas Lake Public Park is located in Colorado
9 Reviews of Molas Lake Public Park
Gorgeous Spot

One of the pretties views in America, clear lake just south of Silverton , CO. Does cost extra for showers. I would strongly recommend this campground.

Relax and enjoy

Beautiful campground, even in the snow!

Incredible views and beautiful lake

This place was so much fun to stay at. With a campground right next to the lake we were able to take our kayaks out and fish frequently, as well as enjoy beautiful views all day long. The staff was very nice and helpful. It’s a great place to stay if you want to explore Silverton or even Durango. The only thing was the bathroom was kind of far, it we made it work. We will definitely be back!

Molas Lake Campground

Great campsite, I was riding my motorcycle through the mountains for a few days and stayed one night here. The views were spectacular, the campsite was quiet and peaceful. The fire pit was great and the stargazing was some of the best I’ve seen. The night I stayed a few deer came through which just reminded me that we were in wildlife territory. Only thing that caught me up was the campsite is over 10,000 feet, weather can change quickly and it got cold during the night. Bring the appropriate gear and you will have no problems. I will stay here again when I go back through the area.

Great views and nice trails!

This was a great place to camp! Did some great hiking and saw some wildlife. The spots are not too close to each other and bathrooms are close. Didn't fish but I saw some big ones being caught, including by an osprey!

excellent camping

we loved it so much, we came back on our way home! multiple bathrooms throughout the park to accommodate campers, showers ($5 for 4 minutes- not the greatest but hey its hot water) plus fire rings and bear safe trash bins. the lake is stocked with trout and the Colorado trail is easily accessible. staff is very friendly and the area is pet friendly as well. kayak, sup, and paddle boat rentals are also available. they have bear warnings up, but we never had any issues.

Most beautiful campsite in Colorado

This place is wonderful. campsites well spread out. I had my own lake,campsite #25. outhouses only. You can fish,kayak,paddle board or just do some hiking. Right off hwy 550 which has the best scenic views ever. South of Silverton and north of Durango. Very quiet.

One of the best car camping sites in the Southwest

I've spent quite a bit of time at various sites around this campground during annual vacations and using it as a base for geological field work nearby. The site is always well maintained, with clean leveled tent pads, friendly staff, excellent views, abandoned activities nearby and on site, and clean facilities.

This campground is at high elevation (~10,000'), so use caution if you aren't used to elevations or have come in from sea level, and the weather changes rapidly and violently most places in the San Juans during the summer and winter, but the views of several 14,000' peaks in the nearby Weminuche can't be beat. Sites are available for everything from walk up sites to RV sized, and reservations can be made online. Use caution car camping in some of the lakeside drive up sites though--I've had one issue ending up in a lake side site during monsoon season that took some creativity to keep my tent from flooding.

This campground serves as a wonderful basecamp for exploring the nearby wilderness if you aren't into the backcountry experience, are traveling with kids, or just want to stay somewhere with showers and toilets for a few nights. There is a small store onsite that not only carries the usual camp amenities, but sells fishing gear and rents SUPs and kayaks. Additionally, the Colorado Trail passes through the campground and connects with a trail system that brings you to a beautiful waterfall, and can allow access to the Durango-Silverton train tracks and the Animas River, but the hike can be strenuous due to significant elevation change. Driving access to Silverton, Durango (and Ouray if you're up for a bit more car time), rock climbing, longer hiking, and some peak bagging is simple from here due to the location immediately off US 550, but ultimately the views alone are worth a stay.

Very scenic and remote

Very clean campground with excellent scenery all around. There is easy access to major hiking trails right within the campground. The campground fills up fast as it is one of Colorado's top camp grounds because of its beauty. You will be able to see tall mountains, a crisp lake and green meadows all from your campsite. The campsites are located in the woods so there is some privacy. The nearest town is Silverton, and everything is marked up on price there, so bring a good amount of supplies before you arrive. Showers cost extra money. The road to get to the area can be a little rough, but most cars can make it if they drive slow. Make sure you look online as to the opening and closing season dates, because it usually opens later due to the higher elevation in which it is located. Definitely worth the trek if you have the time.