Rankin, TEXAS
Most Recent Rankin Camping Reviews
family fun

I've been camping here plenty of times as a kid growing up in Cedar Hill, TX. My family and I would camp in the spring, early/late summer, and fall months. Plenty of sites have a campfire grill and picnic table along with electrical outlets. Good camping sites for "glampers" who have to have Internet access and electronic use. Finding/reserving a campsite is super easy at the welcome center where you pay an entrance fee to the park. Plenty of lake to share with other people at this state park. My brother would go fishing at the smaller ponds here. At some campsites, you can here the traffic passing by on FM 1382, but if you can sleep through that noise, you'll be fine. Plenty of hiking/biking trails as well. Great to bring pets. Bathrooms are available as well near many of the campgrounds.

So clean & so much to do

It has all the accommodations you’d need for any kind of camping!!

Clean and big

We stayed 4 nights in site 24, PT FHU on a level concrete pad with a picnic table and plot of grass. $40/ni after Good Sam. The park is split into two sections; the side we are in is next to an airfield and the other side is by a small dog run (next time, I'll request this section bc I'm traveling with my dogs). They have a store and the laundry is clean and well priced ($1.25/wash, $0.25/12 min dry). The wifi is strong and the park is quiet. There are some long term, possibly permanent, tenants, but their sites are well kept.

Primitive camping

Woke up to sounds wild boar shuffling around the tent :0. Loved the primitive camping walked about .75 of a mile to get to my campsite. Great for fishing, canoeing. Loved waking up to the sounds of the birds in the morning. A great park to go to and relax. Best time is to go during the spring, it’s not to hot and not too busy

Ants!

Nice lake but there were fire ants and chiggers all over our campsite!

Nice for a stopover

We spent one night at Bluebonnet Ridge last fall on a trip to Phoenix. It appears to be more for long term RVers, but it was convenient to the interstate and a good place to stop before hitting Dallas. The site was level, but muddy, and they were very close together. Water and electric and sewer at all sites. There is a nice store and a pool which was not open when we were there.

Great Place to stay

Found this by accident as the place we wanted to stay was booked up! And happy we did! Well taken care of. Easy access to the DallasFt Worth Area as well as East Texas!

Great Place to Stay

This is very popular RV Resort near Terrell, Tx. Do your reservation early or you may not get in! This is convenient to the Dallas/Ft Worth areas as well as Canton first Monday trade days and TX

This is a city RV Park

This is mainly a city RV/camper campsite that sits right on the outskirts of the town of Corsicana. Very close to Navarro College. So if you wanted to visit the college or the town of Corsicana this would be a great RV site. No views of anything except the highway. Not a vacation site, more of a need to stop for awhile site.

Nice

Nice park. Trails could be better maintained. There was a huge tree down on one trail that made it impossible to pass. On another trail was a big low layout g branch that made that trail hard to maneuver. The lake is beautiful and there are plenty of trees to hang a hammock on.

Marina closed... ramp open.

Awesome place to launch your boat or kayak. Great fishing usually, killer sunsets. Good central location to get anywhere on the lake fast. Popular fishing tournament spot.

Family Fun!

Lots of activities, good clean sites and golf cart rental!

FUN for Kids of All Ages

Lots of activities to keep the kids entertained! Kids and adults both enjoy candy bar bingo and dancing the night away to tunes by an energetic DJ! We had a blast! Very nice spaces and golf cart rentals!

Large state park and well maintained

This great park offers ~400 campsites along Lake Joe Pool. Lots of upgrades taking place in the park but worth checking out. Bathroom and shower facilities are available throughout the park. Shopping is within minutes drive from park. This is a favorite park of ours!

Small

Nothing special

Will not return

Unpleasant

Cabin 13 is BEST

Visited here at least 30 times…ALWAYS love it!

Small

Very overcrowded

Wish it was open

Partially closed due to flooding

One of my FAVORITE PLACES TO CAMP!

It is FREE and has public restroom!

Huge new kids playground!

I am 41 years old and I had to play on the huge playground..had a blast!

Dirty and unsanitary

I wouldn't use this place …EVER!

Come Hell or High Water We Are Camping

We had limited weekends to take the grandkids camping. It has been raining non stop all over Texas. I began to look for places within 2 hours of Fort Worth. Texas State Parks are a great. I settled on Lake Whitney. They have these shelter sites that are awesome. For $30 per night ($10 per night more than normal e&w site) plus $5 per adult gate fee. That may not be economical for everyone, but $40 for an overnight camp was fine. The shelters are very clean and well kept. Inside is a picnic table and enough floor space for another plus some. So if your tent fails in you go. The top of walls are screened and bottom solid. I set up my camp kitchen and we ate meals inside due to weather. We set up our large tent behind the shelter to block wind from the lake. The site also had it's own parking, another table outside and fire ring. We had site 4 right across from the lake and swimming area. The bath house was very clean and only a short walk. You can fish license free from the shore. There are 5 or 6 moderate hiking trails. Also the park is home to plenty of woodland animals. The 4 yo and I took a 2 am bathroom break and saw a herd of dear about 30 head.

The park is very good for families and fishing.

There are also a boat ramp, small airstrip and day use areas.

The staff is awesome.

Great Hike!

We had a great hike and enjoyed the clean park! Prices are reasonable and we definitely be back!

nature & wildlife!

We stopped here overnight on the way home from Renfest in October 2017… it was rustic, we saw a couple of wild hogs on the way to our campsite.

Like the other state parks we had been to, there was running water, tent pads & a nearby restroom. Since we were only there for one night, we didn't get a chance to explore the park.

My favorite

This is a large campground with beautiful views. No trails to hike on but plenty of good roads to walk. Very peaceful!

A Campground for full time RV..ers
  • Sites are first come first serve - there is no holding sites especially if you are going as a group
  • No open fires - only propane or charcoal
  • Bathrooms were nice, clean and air conditioned…definitely a couple of notches above the Texas State Parks
  • No wildlife here…just the human kind
  • Nice shady sites but not a lot of elbow room (pretty cramped)
  • Take lots of allergy medicine if you are allergic to Red Cedar
  • 30 AMP sites with full hook ups
  • A lot of kids activities - water melon eating contest, face painting, etc.
  • Could see a lot of stars in the night sky
  • Don't hang anything from the trees..will get in trouble
  • No place to hang a garbage bag outside
  • Overflowing trash dumpsters
  • Propane filling station on the campground property
  • Cell service with T-Mobile was sparse. Verizon seemed to work fine.

We got a free Thousand Trails membership from the dealership when we purchased our new camper so we decided to use it for Labor Day at Lake Whitney RV Campgrounds. We went with our camping buddies (theDyrt Ranger Jenny S and family) who also pulled their camper. The sites are first come first serve and there is no holding sites, so if you go as a group finding sites that are together is tough (several sites were bagged and not usable).  We picked Sites #6 and #83 on Loop B. Luckily these sites back up to each other and the kids could roam between the two sites. The sites were 30 AMPs with full hooks up and that part was nice. Didn't have to watch tank levels every time someone (kids) flushed.

The campsites were pretty shady with red cedar trees which created havoc with my son's allergies. Poor kid was stuffed up the entire time we were there. The sites were pretty cramped, we were not able to extend our awning without hitting the tree branches. The road inside the campground is pretty beat up with lot of bumps. The amenities were nice - a family swimming pool, shuffleboard, washers, putt-putt golf. The campgrounds had several activities for Labor Day such as a water melon eating contest, frozen T-shirt contest which kept the kids entertained.

Don't hang anything on the trees. We had some LED light up and the park ranger had us take it down.  Was actually a little harsh about it. Following that encounter we took down the clothesline that we strung up to dry our swimming suits and wet towels. No place to hang a garbage bag either.

Politeness in customer service was hit or miss.

Our stay was free because of the Thousand Trails membership but otherwise each site goes for about $45/night. I'll do it again for free, if I have to pay…I will go down the street at Lake Whitney State Park for $25 with full hookups.

Peaceful fun camping

We took our Grandkids here awhile back. We fished, hiked and made S'mores. The Rangers gave the kids information and coloring stuff. They had cool things for the kids to see.

Ants!

Fire ants and chiggers all over! But the lake was nice.