Channel Wood , TEXAS

Most Recent Channel Wood Camping Reviews
Busy Campground

We camped here for a long weekend getaway, and wanted to see what a Thousand Trails campground was like.  The campground is huge, and you cannot reserve a specific site.  You drive around and pick a site, then call and let them know which one you're in.  This is fine, but we were looking for a quiet, private site and there are very few of those.  We enjoyed our time here in our full hookup site, but the campground was just too busy for our taste.  There were vehicles constantly driving up and down the road in front of our site, and lots of children running around.  We don't have kids, so this was a little annoying to us.  The campground has a lot of amenities such as swimming pool, lake, playgrounds, etc… that would be fantastic for a family.  We like to camp for the relaxation and serenity of it, and this campground just isn't that type of place.

Beautiful spot. Great cell service. Free.

We spent 2 weeks here during the winter. It’s a really quiet spot with a few other RV’s here and there in the beach. We have AT&T and cell service was excellent. Weather was good while we were here although it got pretty windy a few nights. Tents may be difficult. We were in a 26’ travel trailer so it didn’t bother us much. Sand is easy to drive on. Note that the location that this app links you to isn’t correct. If you take 87 almost to the tip of the peninsula (towards the ferry) and turn onto rettilion rd. you’ll arrive at the beach.

Easy access flat beach camping

Half mile stretch at end of access road to left is nice beach with dunes and free dispersed camping. Other sections require permit (on line or in person). Watch tides and weather, but really easy safe beach with big views. There are of course oil tankers visible and so not a pristine natural area. Adjacent to a preserve. Excellent.

Greatest experience.

Check the weather! I was there the night of a tornado watch. 70 mile an hour winds and heavy rain. Got alerts on my phone but I had about 6 drinks and did not want to risk those problems, so I braved the storm. Very humbling experience. To be fair, the weather was clear when I started the 500 mile journey to this spot.Weather the other days was great during sunlight. Bring a shovel if you want to start a fire and please be cautious about the winds blowing in. I could very easily see an unsupervised fire causing a devastating event. Nothing better than waking up to the ocean sounds or hearing them with a fire. Bring firewood if you enjoy fires. It's 10 dollars a bundle in town. Unless you wanna drive 50 miles. Great place, a bit of trash but, if you're able. Do your part with some gloves and fill a bag. I filled a bag in about 20 minutes. Would recommend to anyone, and I will be staying there anytime I can get a week to stay. Tide didn't come up closer than 15 yards to the the dunes,, even during a crazy storm.. Safe travels!

Great park

We camped here over New Years. The RV circle doesn’t have a bathroom, so we had to drive over to the tent circle each time, but those bathrooms and showers are really nice. The view on the far side of the circle as you enter is spectacular, looking over the water on the bay side. The sites are fairly close to each other, but for some reason, every third site was blocked off, which gave us more space. We had a great time and can’t wait to come back!

Could use updates to some sites

We spend Thanksgiving in this campground. We arrived shortly after checkin and had limited selection of sites. The person at checkin did have a good site recommendation. Beware that not all sites have full hookups. For the size of the place I would have explained small convenience store but they only had ice. Our site backed up to some trees so that was nice. Good dog park and plenty of activities available. I walk the dog a lot and run and road around the grounds needs to be repaved, lots of pot holes and uneven areas.

Great place!

Loved this place! super easy to find and near all major shops! Bathrooms were super clean and modern, easy access to the lake and dog friendly. We stayed for just 2 nights but we def will be coming back!

Very well kept TT campground

The campground is well laid out. Easy access to sites, amenities and the Lake. Although its a small portion of the lake on the campgrounds side, you do have access to boat rentals,  a boat launch and plenty of parking. So if you have a boat, it will be a wonderful experience. Plus there is a beach area for families to enjoy.

The cottages look almost brand new. The campground even has a location to wash your RV or vehicle.

Very Beautiful

Very Clean well kept park, food was very good including the Lemon Drop Martini's.