The best TENT SITES camping near
Hickory Withe , TENNESSEE

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Hickory Withe Camping Reviews
On the Mississipi

Nice size spaces with square table and benches, concrete pad, grass area view of the River (#91), across from bathhouse and laundry on the end of the row. Very accommodating manager made this stop a breeze! Would stay here again. Fun watching the traffic on the river.

Boondocking? This one might work

No hookups. Nothing. But, it is a free campground so what can you say. It’s rather nice there. This is a very small campground with about 5 spots. Large rigs are a no go I would think, as access can be tight. If you’re in a small to medium travel trailer or a tent, this could work out.

Bathrooms are there but bring your own paper.

Another bad one on the north side

It seems that all of the campgrounds on the north side of Sardis Lake are a let down. This place is bad. Permanent looking residents. Campers blocking roads. There was even a camper backed up to the wall of the restrooms. There is a closed down store there. Roads in are bad as well. Do yourselves a favor and stay on the south side.

Lovely River Park

Beautiful park right by the river. Friendly, helpful staff, free laundry, and even some small walking trails! The only downside was the second week of stay there was some sort of alarm that we kept hearing from somewhere down the river.

Forest Campground 20mins from Downtown Memphis

You really can't go wrong with Meeman-Shelby. It is so damn close to Memphis that while you won't feel like you are near an urban center, you benefit from its proximity. I very much appreciated being able to site see and camp during our brief overnight here.

The campground itself is tucked away deep into the Meeman Shelby State Forest and offers a pleasant amount solitude even though the sites are fairly close together. We watched an super long RV struggle to back into their site, so I wouldn't recommend this campground to RVs that require pull through sites.

Not all sites are suitable for tent campers. I would call ahead to ask what sites to consider if booking online, or just show up. There are a lot of sites here and you'll find something.

The campground is not terrible even, so be prepared for that.

Can not beat the location

This campsite is in West Memphis, Arkansas right across the river from Memphis Tennessee. The sites are right on the river bank, beautiful. Sunrise over the river was perfect. Watching the tug boats moving up and down the river all day and night was relaxing. Nice little bath house and laundry in each section. Not many trees in the section I stayed, but still wonderful. The other two sections have many more trees if the is what you are looking for. No pool but there is plenty of fishing and tree houses for the kids. A little gem on the river.

Great RV park

Loved waking up every morning to the sunrise over the Mississippi River (2 young kids means we get up early 😁), watching the barges and running around in the big grassy areas! Park is easy to get to and sites are very level and good sized. Staff was friendly as were the other RVers plus laundry was free! Quick and easy drive back over the Mississippi to get into Memphis. Local grocery store is very close though the area is a bit run down. We've already stayed twice and enjoyed both our stays!

Best group camp

We stayed in the group site that will hold up to 200 people for Halloween and it was perfect. The group site is away from all the other sites so you have plenty of room for children of all ages to run around and play without disturbing other campers. It’s very roomy and beautiful. You do have to watch for the falling acorns in the fall as they drop like bombs and don’t feel so nice. Ranger Tyson was awesome and came to check on us and fix any issue we had. I would recommend them putting in some electrical outlets under the pavilion but other than that I have no complaints. One of the hiking trails passes through the camp but we went on a slow weekend and saw nobody walk through. The lady that was in the museum when we went through was super awesome with a great personality and was very helpful! We will definitely be back to the site!

Not the Safest

Pretty bare bones, dirt sites were easy to maneuver in and out of, but I had to disconnect for my overnight here and I did not feel very safe. The only neighbor I met was selling 5 week old pit bulls, which was very concerning if you are a dog lover or advocate. The next morning, I had a 10” rod deep in the side of my wheel - coincidence? I was ready to get out of there!

Quiet, inexpensive nature setting campground

Remotely located but still close to major roads. We came in with a 38’ RV not much problem with spaces but be aware of trees on both sides of spaces. We were given space #60 but would not have been able to open slides because of trees so we took another space. Most of them are not leveled. Water and electric hookups. We saw a momma dear and her baby cross the road. Lots of trees and leaves everywhere. It’s fall. For the price it can’t be beat. We paid senior price $16.