Equestrian
Hike In
Meeman Shelby Forest State Park is located in Tennessee
8 Reviews of Meeman Shelby Forest State Park
Nice for nature lovers

This campground has well spaced sites, plenty of nature and several trails. The bathrooms are dated. Staff is nearly non existent. The campground is at least 30 minutes from any town so plan ahead! The playground is small and the place is never busy. It’s great if you want to have a quiet nature loving vacation. Their website says there is a pool and this is NOT TRUE.

Older Feeling Park With Nice Features

This was one of the first state parks in Tennessee I visited on my trip through the state. Despite being an older feeling camp it offered many unique features and options for keeping myself entertained. (Check Out Their Website)

When it came to camping not only were there tent sites but also cabins which had a very rustic feel. I opted for a tent site which ran $25 and had full electrical hookups (site 40), a big perk for charging my devices at the end of a busy day. My site had a bbq grill and fire ring in addition to a picnic table and was well shaded. I felt like the sites along this side of the road were a little more spacious than the other side of the road which were a little more close together.

I was about half way down the loop and a short distance from the restroom and showers which were in decent shape but nothing super special. The water pressure here was good for showering.

My favorite thing about this camp was the outdoor activities which seemed to be everywhere. I hiked both the Woodland and Pioneer Springs trails (MAP), each about 4 miles and along the way enjoyed just taking in the outdoors. I will say that if you do any trails in late summer here you will need mosquito spray because they come in droves.

You can travel to the boat ramp and marina and rent boats there or bring your own to take advantage of the lake which winds through various types of vegetation and allows you to see the lake in a way you cannot from the shore line. I most enjoyed taking out a kayak and exploring the swampy feeling area, though I will say being so close to the Mississippi River I was afraid of what I might find lurking in the water.

Book Your Site Here

TIPS:

• Bring citronella candles for your table when camping and try to put a dryer sheet in your pocket to ward off mosquitoes. In addition to spray these will make your trip here a bit more comfortable.
  • Bring your own firewood if you want to have a campground. There were signs around camp saying not to move wood.
Huge State Park

Campground is very rustic, shaded and sites are kinda small. Cell service is spotty. Some sites are really close together and some are decent size. The day area around Poplar Tree Lake is nice with kayak, flat bottom fishing boats and paddle boats for rent. Cabins seem very nice from the outside. Lots of nice playgrounds and a disc golf course.

Great for groups

The cabins are nice, and there are great hiking trails

Visit Shelby Forest General Store!

campground was clean, quiet, with playground. Bathrooms were clean. 15 minute drive to the Mississippi R. boat ramp was cool to see! we changed sites because of close neighbors and were accommodated helpfully. the best part was the blue grass music at the Shelby General Store. so much local, authentic fun:)

Bring Mosquito Spray

Unless you are in love with mosquitos you may want to stay away from here in the summer, other than that it's a pretty nice place to escape for the weekend. We spent most of our time hiking around on the trail system within the park and fishing a little bit. I'm from the south so mosquitos are pretty much the norm for summer, so they didn't deter us.

site is important

We were fortunate to get a very shaded site that was very private. It is a nice park to bike around as the scenery is spectacular! Truly a 'back to nature experience' as our cell phones didn't get service, but it was somewhat refreshing.