Fires Unknown
About Great Salt Plains State Park
Great Salt Plains State Park is located in Oklahoma
5 Reviews of Great Salt Plains State Park
Great Adventure

The Great Salt Plains is great place to go for an adventure. You could spend hours just digging up the crystals on the salt plains. I would absolutely recommend everyone to spend the weekend here just relaxing and having a ton of fun. The RV Camp sites were very clean and the cleaning staff that were there when we went were very friendly.

Never busy or loud

Never busy or loud when I've been there. Wish there were fish in the lake. Nice little swim beach. Perfect place to get away from the big city and see the sky.

Take Your Breath Away Beauty, Unexpectedly so in Oklahoma.

The campground was underused when I camped there, with electric, water and typical amenities including a great hot shower, I’d go out of my way to camp here again. The GPS map had the checkin at the w4ong end of the Park, but otherwise I had no problems. I got one of many open spaces with a view of Steed Lake and plenary of room for any size RV. Fires were allowed which is a prime requirement when I camp. There was a wild storm the night I arrived, making for an indescribly sublime sunrise. Don’t miss this campground.

Beautiful sunsets, amazing views, lots of spiders!!!

Not much shade,but the view is spectacular

Low impact outdoor fun

We were looking for a park that had plenty of amenities for the whole family to enjoy. Typically, our camping/hiking trips are just for my wife and dogs with intentions of long rigorous hikes. However, this weekend we needed a place to take an inexperienced party.

Besides having to navigate around bridge construction on highway 38, this was an excellent trip. We started the day by heading straight to the visitors center, nature trail, and auto tour.

The nature trail was perfect for my 3-year-old niece to walk. Occasional benches, mowed and manicured paths, and designated lookouts were excellent for everyone in our party. The auto tour was literally a one way driveable trail through the park flanked with scenic views making nature accessible for those unable walk long distances or rough terrain.

Next we drove to the salenite crystal digging areas. There are designated sections of the park where patrons can dig for salt crystals. There is no charge, and the scenery is like nothing else in Oklahoma. Bring a shovel, dig about a foot down and sift through the sand to find crystals of different shapes and size. Note, your car will likely get salty, so make sure to wash it off quickly afterward to avoid any erosion.

We camped near the spillway on the south side of the lake. The spillway offered a really cool view and has stairs that lead right to the waters edge. Campsites were tidy, mowed, and well maintained.