The best BOAT IN camping near
Octa , OHIO

Most Recent Octa Camping Reviews
A fine campground that lacks charm

Camped three days in September 2020.

Not a bad place to camp but has the feel of a commercial campground. There's a distinct lack of charm. It's geared more toward those who own Boats and like fishing over hiking.

The shower house was very clean, the crew was around regularly to empty trash and clean. The hot water in the shower house left something to be desired (took forever, lasted about a minute and a half).

As a matter of personal preference, I was not a big fan of Rocky Fork but as a campground, it was completely fine.

Large campground

We really enjoyed this large campground. There’s a bike way that terminates in the campground that runs by the lake and near a prairie. It’s not a loop so you’ll have to pedal back.

There are multiple playground and loops. Lots of places roam!

Roomy sites!

We LOVE this campground - particularly sites 81-86. The sites are large with plenty of room to spread out, throw the frisbee or play other games. The sites are also near hiking paths that lead to the camper beach.

There is a nice playground down the road from the sites and additional hiking trails on the other side of the campground. Very quiet, peaceful camping.

Easy Drive from the City

Located within an afternoon’s drive of downtown Dayton and Cincinnati, this park makes the perfect weekend getaway from the day to day grind. Located on a large reservoir, the state park has everything from boating, hiking and mountain biking to just sitting around the campground not doing much.

One important thing to think about with this state park is site selection. For a park surrounded by trees and forest the campsites offer a surprising dearth of shady maples for the sites. On first visit, one might suppose this was a young park, newly cleared for recreational purposes, but upon visiting some 20 years later, one would be disappointed at the lack of opportunity taken for shade production. Most of the sites nearer the lakeshore or cul-du-sacs, have adequate shade.

The bathhouse was kept very clean, even when it was pretty busy.  Overall, the place was pretty quiet despite the number of campers there.

A nice and quiet park.

A.W. Marion is nice and quiet. It's fairly small, and some of the spots looked challenging to back into, including the one I chose. The people we encountered there were friendly. The bathrooms seemed clean (didn't use them but did look inside), and the camper hosts were nice. Honestly, we probably won't camp there again, but that's not to say it wasn't a nice campground. Recommended.

"Our first ever Camping trip"

Was a great place to stay me and my wife both used to go as children and it was as we remember a great place to be and have your family pet friendly everybody's friendly just a little pricey and some locks are a little too car so Choose Wisely or call ahead to reserve would be the smartest thing if you're a veteran definitely use it as discount… All in all it was a "GREAT" first trip… ENJOY!!!

Halloween Weekend

Site 9, non-electric on Halloween weekend was great. We were one of two campers on our circle. Site 9 has a pretty level pad and has the biggest area to camp in. We are across from the dump station and the flush toilets. Not horrible, but e bathroom does have a light so it could bother some people. Most sites in non-electric have some sort of shade but not all spaces are created equal. Some sites are small and the pads can be unlevel . The electric sites are the same where some have shade and some do not while some pads are level and some are not. There are vault toilets closest to those sites and no full hookups. They have a nice playground and plenty of trail to hike. The trees were past peak leaf season but still very pretty. The camp hosts make it a point to stop out and say hello which is one of the reasons we keep coming back. It’s a tiny park, a diamond in the rough.

Nice location

Beautiful hiking, great views of the lake. Nice place to put a boat/kayak in the water. Downside, very few sites have water/sewer hookup. They do have locations to get potable water and a dump station on the way out of the park, we were just hoping to have a water hookup on site.

Small, but perfect site for us

This was a last minute reservation and only available due to a cancellation. The campground was full for the weekend. The campground is pretty big with different types of sites. Some are smaller, close to neighbors while other have seclusion with trees. From past experience, if it rains, some of the sites do flood. We had great weather this weekend. The site we reserved had a hill right next to the passenger side/door side of your camper. If you had a big camper, it might be tight to open your slides and an awning. You most likely would not sit right outside your camper door. In fact, the fire ring is behind the site and up a small hill. We set up our ez-up in the back and out of the way, it worked for us. There was also a path that led you into the playground. Speaking of playgrounds, you will hear a lot of kids if the weather is nice. We were right across from the camp host (very nice lady) and very short walk to the bathhouse. The bathhouse had 4 flushable toilets and I think 3 showers. The showers did not have benches in the stall, only on the outside directly across. With a full campground, the bathrooms were kept very clean with the amount of people using it. We walked around and noticed a lot of bathhouses and another playground. We took a hike that led us to the lodge - it was an in and out and just under 5 miles. On our way back we stopped at the camp store which was well stocked with items you may need or not. There is a putt putt course, frisbee disc course, horse trails, dog park, nature center, golf course and more trails nearby. There are plenty of things to do if you like to keep busy or are trying to keep kids entertained. (The bees and stinkbugs were out and about while we were there.)

Scenic but too close to neighbors

My friend and I recently stayed at the north ridge campsite, which is the tents only site at Tar Hollow State Park.  I had both positive and negative experiences.  Let's start with the positives.  It's a very secluded campsite so it really feels like you're one with nature.  The pit latrines are convenient for those emergency situations but they're not the cleanest but it is not a far drive to the flush toilets at the RV campsite area near the camp store.  Site 106 is a great site if you choose to stay here.  It is very flat, one of the most flat sites (I think 105 is more flat) and so my night's sleep was great.

Now for the negatives, which sadly outweigh the positives for my stay.

You are right next to your camping neighbors.  I have terrible luck and ended up staying next to a very inconsiderate and loud group that included their many dogs. Normally this wouldn't bother me but I could hear all of their conversations because we were so close to them.  You can hear snoring and other "nighttime" noises so just be aware others can and will hear you.  I wasn't able to find the water spigot right away because someone set up their tent right next to it but then was able to find it once they moved their tent.  This is more of a negative of the State Park but the hiking paths are not clearly marked and I am embarrassed to admit I did get lost in the woods.  The map they have is in black in white but the park uses a color system.  This could be solved by taking a picture of the colorful map right by the fire tower.

Overall, I don't think I would choose to return to this site for camping because you're just way to close to others around you.