Oak Hill , OHIO

Camping Ohio Oak Hill

Most Recent Oak Hill Camping Reviews
Fall Fun and Trick-or-Treats

We came to this campground because it was close to the Kenova Pumpkin House. We rented a cabin on a cute little pond. It was a nice setting and it was a little out of the way from the main part of the campground which was nice. It had a deck that overlooked the pond and the campground. The only thing I didn't like was that it was close to the interstate and you could hear the traffic all night. If you want convenience, though, this is good since it is close to the interstate.

Dead End

There is not a Campground here, it’s a dead end that ends on a construction 🚧 site

Dispersed Camping best off Horseback Trails

We arrived late at night wishing we had better cell reception and a paper map of the National Forest. The Ironton Campground has been closed during 2020 as part of a water main line break. We initially tried the Hanging Rock OHV trailhead, but locals used that area for partying when we were there and it wasn't ideal to camp at the trailhead with about a dozen cars speeding along the gravel roads around midnight. We found the Sand Hill Trail head and pitched camp not too far from where we parked. The NF website says fires are allowed if you make a stone ring. We just skipped it. It is a very pretty area along Vesuvius Lake with trees and bluffs. We saw a ranger in the morning and he suggested next time we just camp at the horsecamp. The pins on the Dyrt's map were inaccurately located when we were using it with multiple entries. Next time I will purchase a paper map before I go because Wayne National Forest has alot of private lands interspersed and it is not all that clear without a map.

Scenic but too close to neighbors

My friend and I recently stayed at the north ridge campsite, which is the tents only site at Tar Hollow State Park.  I had both positive and negative experiences.  Let's start with the positives.  It's a very secluded campsite so it really feels like you're one with nature.  The pit latrines are convenient for those emergency situations but they're not the cleanest but it is not a far drive to the flush toilets at the RV campsite area near the camp store.  Site 106 is a great site if you choose to stay here.  It is very flat, one of the most flat sites (I think 105 is more flat) and so my night's sleep was great.

Now for the negatives, which sadly outweigh the positives for my stay.

You are right next to your camping neighbors.  I have terrible luck and ended up staying next to a very inconsiderate and loud group that included their many dogs. Normally this wouldn't bother me but I could hear all of their conversations because we were so close to them.  You can hear snoring and other "nighttime" noises so just be aware others can and will hear you.  I wasn't able to find the water spigot right away because someone set up their tent right next to it but then was able to find it once they moved their tent.  This is more of a negative of the State Park but the hiking paths are not clearly marked and I am embarrassed to admit I did get lost in the woods.  The map they have is in black in white but the park uses a color system.  This could be solved by taking a picture of the colorful map right by the fire tower.

Overall, I don't think I would choose to return to this site for camping because you're just way to close to others around you.

Great small family campground

We enjoyed our 3 night stay here! Some sites are full hook up, some sites are electric and water, and some are primitive. The dump station is easily accessible if you need it. 5 acres with everything we could need. The owners were amazing. Very friendly and helpful! They had only owned the campground for 2 weeks and were in the process of making several improvements. The shower house and bathrooms were clean and adequate. There is a small playground for kids. It is pet friendly. There is a nice sized pool for summer (we camped in October so it was closed for the season). Located within a short drive (about 10 miles/15 minutes) from everything Hocking Hills has to offer. There is even a restaurant close by that will deliver to your campsite. Kroger and Walmart are within 5-7 minutes driving for supplies. The only downside is that it is close to a highway so at night you can hear the traffic. This didn’t bother us so much but might be a problem for some.

Peaceful

Had a great time there. We will be back in the spring or summer when the grandkids can swim. Staff was very pleasant. Not much shade but then again it's a fairly new KOA and the trees haven't had time to grow.

Peaceful

It was our first stay ever in our RV. Our site was muddy but it did rain 2 out of 3 days. Site 32. The staff was very pleasant and helpful.

Great first time!

Threw a surprise camping trip for my boyfriend and it turned out AMAZING! Love this campground and can’t wait to check more of it out again!

Great spot for getting prepared for zaleski and going kayaking

Several campsites are on a slope so this calls for being creative with placement of tent.
Firewood available for purchase on site. Lake Hope lodge provides great warm and dry spot for delicious food.

Several activities available, fishing available anywhere on the lake, kayak rental for $10 and good size lake.

Very clean pit toliets and running water available dispersed throughout the park. Several hiking trails, zaleski is nearby, hocking hills is 30 minutes away. Moonville tunnel and iron furnace in the area.