Knightdale , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Knightdale Camping Reviews
Nice, roomy, heavily wooded sites

Phenomenal experience

Excellent

Great clean sites, marina, access to lake. Everything you need.

Great little spot outside the city!

Get place to get away

Not far from the Roanoke River and right around the corner from Halifax, this spot is perfect for getting away from it all. Walking trails along the mountainside with small bridges over a creek offer a scenic view. Gazebo with grills and bathrooms are located a small walk from the tent sites.

Falls Lake State Recreation Area, Rolling View Campground

Man-made reservoir - Falls Lake is located in the upper portion of the Neuse River Basin. Nice shaded trails. Very nice park.

Love

It was a great place to stay!!!! Can’t wait to go back!!!!

Hike In campground for MST hikers

I spent a night in Shinleaf walk in campground in April as part of a backpacking trip along the Falls Lake MST trail, sections 8-12. The fact that it doesn't have vehicle access to the sites makes it somewhat not popular with the usual camping crowd. It's a pretty big campground, but when I was there it was mostly empty. My site had the lake view and I spent the evening watching the sunset on the lake, it was amazing.

The bathroom was clean. I didn't use the shower, but I think it was available.

It's a great spot if you backpack MST or otherwise don't mind taking your stuff from the car to the site on foot.

I booked site 39 and it was great, I also remember that the two adjacent sites 37 and 38 were connected and could serve as a great spot for a small group.

A great spot for MST hikers

This is a hidden gem for a MST hiker. The campground is located on a private land, has a shelter, a fire pit, and a number of tent sites. It's a hike in only campground, located approximately 1 mile from the roadside parking on Red Mill Road, Durham NC.

The information can be found here:

There is an authorized camping area available on private property in this section of the Falls Lake Trail(between Red Mill Road and Old Oxford Road). Follow the blue-blazed trail off the MST approximately 1 mile west of Red Mill Road. NOTE: This campsite is on private property. It is a HUGE PRIVILEGE to be allowed to camp at this location. Vandalism, neglect or any trash left at this campsite could result in closing of this campsite by the landowner. No water or toilet facilities are provided. There are seven established campsite pads for 2-person tents. Campsite rules:(1) Practice Leave No Trace ethics.(2) Do NOT leave any trash. Pack it in= Pack it out.(3) There is a 2-night maximum stay.(4) Do NOT explore past a 75 yard radius of the Shelter.(5) NO FIRES except in the established fire pit.

We will definitely be back

Nice, large, well shaded sites. Clean bathroom, currently being cleaned 4x a day. Playground and Beach closed due to covid, but look nice. Check-in ranger was very friendly and helpful finding our site. We stayed in loop A, but walked all 3 loops, only a few sites we noted we wouldn't particularly want (lack of shade or less privacy), but all are nice big graveled sites with picnic and fire pit areas. Our 2yr old and dog loved their first times camping. We will definitely be back!