Howard , GEORGIA

Most Recent Howard Camping Reviews
Traveling through

Very sincere owners, helpful and assisted in parking. No property lights, hard to be able to keep dogs clean at this early stage. No internet available. Private and good for over night stay. Enjoyed Meant to say also they are very new some grounds are new and not grassy yet but this will be a great place to visit in a year. We will be back.

Beautiful State Park

Great state park is right off busy I75 highway. It has two different campgrounds. One by the lake is very beautiful; site 112 lake front is great. The other campground is by the falls and deep in the wood. All site are large, level, and gravel. Cell phone signals might not good.

Great Park!!

We stayed in site #16. I gave it 4 stars just because of the road noise

Pros:

• Spectacular view of the lake
  • Clean bathhouse
  • Site is partially fenced and the pad is level.
  • Very friendly host
  • Not far from hiking trails in
  • Cell phone service (spotty in the campground. 4+ bars on the site with t-mobile)
  • Plenty of room for chairs, gear and a fence for the dogs
  • Firepit down by the lake
  • Easy to get kayaks into the water
  • 20 minutes from major retailers (Lowes, Walmart, etc.)

Cons :

• Not a lot of shade covering our site
  • Road noise as others have stated. Not a deal breaker. There are grooves on the shoulder of the road and when you drive over them it makes an annoying sound
  • Site is closer to others than I care to be
  • Quiet, but it's winter. I imagine it's more active in the summer
  • I'm not sure about the quality of the water. There is a GA Power plant close by and I read an article about possible contamination from the smoke stacks. Do your research.

Overall we had a great experience and we would definitely come back again. Many of the sites are on the lake and I haven't seen one I would not stay in. They do have some construction going on near the dump station. Whatever they're doing they're quiet about it.

Beautiful area near lake and river walk

This is a new RV park with full hookups. WiFi is available for long term guests through Mediacom. Daily, weekly and monthly rates with up charge on electric after 800 kWh.

On the outskirts of Columbus. Fishing, Paved river walk for walking and biking, near Ft Benning and golf course. Pleasant owner with big plans to make this a great park. Assisted us with getting to and in our site at dark. Camp host is very helpful.

Cons: large gravel on road and sites making leveling difficult. Sites are fairly close together but better than some. Landscape is in its early stage so grass is sparse. Beautiful trees surround the area but none on sites.

Great Park!

This place is HUGE!! As others have said, the sites are a little close together and there's some traffic noise, but neither bothered me very much - I was real close to the road too, so not that bad at all. I was quite comfortable the two days I stayed here. They have a little convenience store with camping gear you may have forgotten (or didn't know you needed!), souvenirs, food, and other essentials. The bathrooms are nice and there are some on-site fun to be had with a basketball hoop and playground.

Wish it was open to the public

Only downside is that you have to be military, or be with someone who is military, to get in. There’s a range of cabin styles to choose from. My girlfriend loved the chateau. It’s not camping. It’s a vacation house in the woods. Absolutely beautiful. The grounds are nice, but there are alligators.

convenient no frills

No frills park convenient to the interstate between 2 cities.

Needs some work

High falls SP, GA

Stopped here on an overnight enroute south in September . Weekday and very sparsely occupied, so it was very quiet.

After seeing both campgrounds I wish I had stayed at the upper one near the lake and dam.

The lower campground has a coded gate and was in a separate area across the street and down the road. You can hike to the lake/dam area by way of Tranquility Trail (2.5 miles).

There are basically three areas, (two loops and a circle)with two latrines. The latrine in the circle area had a washer and dryer. I did not go in the other one.

Several of the sites picnic tables and fire rings sat close together so if you don’t know your “neighbors” you will get to know them.

The other sites were good size and you have some privacy. There are big grassy area in each loop and it’s all shaded.

My site was near the river but it’s a somewhat treacherous trail down to water level. The water looked like chocolate milk and was not very inviting. I would guess there had been recent flooding and high water areas. Fishing would have been easy enough.

The staff was ….. interesting. One of the woman at the check in openly voiced her opinion about a much nicer camping area at another location. Then there was the kamikaze guy on the “golf cart” speeding crazily through the campground. I realize they don’t have speedometers, however he was going faster then 15 mph.

Very clean

We camp here once or twice a year. Clean bathrooms and showers. I do feel for the tent campers, as there is nothing flat about the “tent only” sites. You can, however rent an RV spot and use a tent. (Just not the water front sites. Not sure why, this is a fairly new rule, because we used to tent camp on the water front sites here.) As for the folks that mention the lack of trees and shade, in the defense of the park, it’s not their fault, it used to be very shady, but a tornado pretty much leveled this place back in 2008, and wiped out probably 90% of the trees. There’s even plaques by the doors on the shower houses, telling about the folks who took shelter in the bath houses, during the storm.

Clean and friendly

We spent two nights here, both as stopovers. Management was helpful in their instructions as we were arriving after hours. The campsites had a grill, table and there was a dog exercise area. The showers were spotless. We will be visiting Twin Oaks again.