The best DRIVE IN camping near
Sugar City , COLORADO

Most Recent Sugar City Camping Reviews
Great for overnight

Clean, friendly

Make sure you check your camp site on a map!

Initially made reservations at the point campground. There is NO shade. Cancelled and remade for Lake Hasty campground. Had a good time. Visited in spring, but it was HOT!! Very glad to have had the shade. Lots of owls. Lots of birds to watch. Bathrooms were a bit of a walk, but we were right next to the playground. Did some fishing, had a muskrat steal our fish. Lots of rattlesnakes. Also learned that rattlesnakes can swim. Easy drive to Bent's Old Fort which was great. Overall, nice but factor in weather when making reservations.

An easy overnight spot

I'm not sure what you'd do for more than a day in La Junta, but this was a great overnight spot for us in late September. (Old Bent's Fort is worth the side trip). Not crowded and restrooms were clean. Nice pull through sites, cute older playground, and a pool if you're in season. Late arrival instructions were obviously posted.

Second time here and we’ll be back again..

This has been a very good 3/4 of the way stop for us when heading to CO and UT.. we have the same site we had last time.. supper nice people and easy access.. Walmart is next door and there is food close by if your looking for an easy meal..

Perfect

Quiet. Secluded. Safe. Beautiful sunsets. Stopped off for an overnight on the way to Great Sand Dunes NP. So glad we found this place. Highly recommend.

Stayed while working

Was here for a month while working expensive for a month stay but staff was friendly, try to stay towards the back unless you like hearing a carwash at all hours. Has a small creek that is at the edge of the park was very nice while on nightly walks around park. Spaces are decently sized some have HUGE shade trees.

Serene

This campground is NOT accessible by vehicle if the road is wet.. There are four designated sites, three overlook the canyon and one is intended for those with horses. There is a vault toilet. This campground is at the Picket Wire Canyonlands trailhead, which boasts the largest dinosaur track site in North America. Each campsite has a fire ring, but keep in mind the canyon is subject to burn bans. It is very rocky, so if your tent is on the ground you would probably be happier with some kind of padding. The vault toilet was the cleanest I have ever encountered. The sites are first come first serve. Keep in mind, there was a lot of parking available, so it is possible overflow camping may not be frowned upon so long as you stay in the parking areas.

Probably not intended for camping.

There is a vault toilet and cattle corrals here. I'm not sure it is an intended spot for camping, but if the road to Withers canyon is closed because of rain, I'm sure its reasonable to camp here. I recommend driving the extra six miles to the Withers canyon campground, but keep in mind that road isn't passable when wet.

Beautiful but buggy!

We come to this reservoir all the time! They do a have a boat ramp and a few “beaches” to set up at if you want. But it’s covered in bugs. I know I know, that’s what camping is about BUT they are just annoying! Takes me a good hour after each trip to vacuum they all up out of the camper after each trip!

Terrifying

Got there late at night. There was a tweaker man with a shotgun who did not seem friendly. Really scared and had to leave