Standard (Tent/RV)
No Water Hookups
Dispersed Camping Vedauwoo Road is located in Wyoming
13 Reviews of Dispersed Camping Vedauwoo Road
Amazing!

Found an amazing spot on a Monday with no hassle. Some of the spots require 4 wheel drive, but not all!

Vedauwoo Dispersed Camping is Amazing!

This place is unreal! Designated Dispersed camping at its best. We camped near the Devil’s Playground rocks and even though most of the better sites were full, we found quite a few open sites on a Saturday. Can’t do that in Colorado anymore! The wind picked up at night and we sure were thankful to NOT be in tents. The Rocks are awesome for scrambling and even the dog had a blast!

Picturesque Primitive Pleasant Place

These sites are very beautiful and are very well spaced. Road past the established campground is VERY rough with a camper in tow. Hard to find the designated sites in the dark so arrive before nightfall. This area is clearly open to grazing and cattle come through and there are some cow pies, but no big deal.

Only stayed one night. Wish we could have stayed longer. Some people clearly are regulars and it’s easy to see why. Looks like a good bouldering and rock climbing destination.

Some sites are closer to Happy Jack Road, which is a beautiful scenic backroad between Laramie and Cheyenne.

Really awesome scenery for southern Wyoming

Me and a buddy camped here one night on our way to Yellowstone. Only a little over an hour from Fort Collins Colorado and boy were we impressed with this place. Beautiful hills and rocks for good wind blockage and plenty of trees for great cozy scenery. Definitely one of our most favorite Wyoming spots from the trip.

highlight of my x-country trip

campground at vedauwoo was full, so we ventured down the road, found a free spot that looked like an established spot, but i realize now it was not official - no number. but we pulled off, saw a few established fire rings, so we stopped for the night, popped the top on the van.

scenic is an understatement. loved this area, with gorgeous rock formations, pines, big sky! dusty due to traffic, and had to keep the van level for sleep/propane so we did park near the road. worth it.

Beautiful views, close to highway!

Stayed 7/14/20 - FREE

I took the road 700E down to site E2

Once you pass the main campground and it turns to gravel, it is terribly bumpy. Like a million speed bumps. The side roads have bigger potholes, but are more smooth.‘E’ was pretty easy to navigate, even in a sedan. The map makes my site seem super close to others, but it was totally private. I could see and at times, hear others, but I definitely had my own area. Great views and very close to the highway. Would love to come back here!

No facilities. I had 3 bars LTE AT&T, with no problems.

Dispersed camping in Wyoming

I have camped in this general area for over 40 years. I like to go mid-week in the fall, you pretty much have the area to yourself and have your choice of campsites.

Good option if main campground is full

Personally, I find having easier access to the facilities of the main campground worth $10 per night if you can find a spot. These dispersed campsites are a good free option if you can't find one though. Make sure that you camp at one of the designated spots, it is not a pick-you-spot-anywhere kind of experience: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd581855.pdf

Sites 1-4 are found shortly after the Nautilus parking lot, where you can find a single bathroom. These spots are also the closest to the trails that take you to the rock climbing routes.

This place is legit

Big campsites, no one close, bring water!! Completely free and loved the unique landscape!

Easy access to dispersed campsites

Easy in & out but has become busier in last few years. Still nice quick getaway to some easy hiking.