Camping in Dwight Hills

186 Reviews of 26 Dwight Hills, Virginia Campgrounds

R
Reviewed Jul. 30, 2021

New and clean. No shade

Campground is very new and bath facilities are immaculate. No shade at sites (hot July day).

Restaurant (Brewpub) is only open fridays and saturdays which was disappointing. Tried to swim at the river but it was trashy.

Staff was great, and would probably come again in the fall or early…

SiteD8
Kevin M.
Reviewed Jul. 25, 2021

Nice weekend getaway!

We ventured out to this very remote campground. There is no cell signal or WiFi, so perfectly made for escaping the daily grind. The tent sites are awesome and you are truly in the wilderness with the closes store being 20 miles away. We had a wonderful time but the water was turned off at the site…

Olivia D.
Reviewed Jul. 21, 2021

Absolutely gorgeous !

This is our favorite campsite and park that we’ve been to in the state of Virginia! We have so many more to explore but Douthat state park is huge the lake is so much fun, and the trails go for miles! We just started camping and hiking and can’t wait to explore more of the country!!

Sitecabin 3
Shannon L.
Reviewed Jul. 19, 2021

Large, shaded sites- the pros end there

The shaded spots were a good size and pretty secluded. That’s all the good I can say. The map makes it look like you have water access from the campsite- you don’t. You have to drive to the public beach across the state park. The map of the park is very confusing and we drove by our site at least…

SiteSP30
Andrew S.
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2021

Very peaceful scenic campground.

The campground is butted up against Sherwood lake and a small mtn ridge range that divides West Virginia and Virginia.  Even though I didn't get to go fishing it looked like a very nice lake to fish in.  The campsites themselves are very nice and the majority is right on the lake.  There is very…

Jacqueline F.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2021

Not my favorite

It’s an amazing drive to this campground, but it definitely wasn’t my favorite. Most of the sites are not level and it felt very crowded. The bathrooms and showers were pretty gross and I don’t think they were cleaned the 3 days we were there. Our site was by the dump station which was in sitting…

• trail near campsite with overlook views
  • am I Batman? :)
  • downhill bike ride to campstore
Jasmine L.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2021

Easy and clean camping

It was conveniently located near great hiking spots. Staff was very friendly and we enjoyed the ease of setting up our tent on the gravel platform by the pond. Those froggos have a lot to say though. Ahh the beauty of living in nature.

• at camp
  • view on drive to hike
  • falls on hike
SiteA01
m
Reviewed Jul. 8, 2021

Really nice state park

Beautiful park! Scenic beach, nice trails. Clean and quiet campground with easy pull through sites. Friendly staff. Would definitely go back!

W
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2021

Bring lots of people

Lots of space, cheap price, walking distance from the lake raccoons and skunks everywhere all night.

Sitegroup site
SThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2021

Looks good on New River

I didn’t camp here, but I took out my kayak at the boat ramp and looked around. Vault M/F toilet, BYOTP. No hookups and I didn’t see a water spigot. Plenty of shade. Closed during flood.

JThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 27, 2021

Laid back camping

Such a cool little slice of camping fun. Came out for a Saturday night, set up camp, enjoyed some good beer and saw some live music!

Decided to stay another night. Super cool place.

n
Reviewed Jun. 26, 2021

Amazing late night stop

We ended up getting in late but the place was very quite and clean. Perfect for our first night in the woods. Nearest cell signal is about ten miles up at the House Mountain Overlook. Rangers on site were super sweet.

• Creek runs through the campground. Spots on the water fill up fast.
SiteB40
Anne F.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2021

We loved it

Great campground with many sites right on the lake. A place to swim and kayak. Great hiking trails - we chose the one with multiple water crossings. No hook ups but that’s ok with us. Very out of the way so take everything you need. Beautiful drive there too.

• perfect camp site
  • very wet feet
Blake B.
Reviewed Jun. 9, 2021

Bolar Mountain

This place is amazing. I could stay here every weekend and not get tired of it. Warm water, fresh air, no service.

SiteSite 29
Scott F.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 5, 2021

Beautiful campground surrounding site 34 at Bolar Mountain Campground

This was our first camping trip to actually visit lake Moomaw in Warm Springs Virginia.  We had been close before but never made it to the lake itself.

First off, sorry for the audio on the video we uploaded.  It seems in March of 2021 I was diagnosed with having lung cancer and it is pinching the…

SiteSite 34