Water Unknown
About Island in the Sky (Willow Flat) Campground

Island in the Sky Campground (Willow Flat) has 12 sites, first-come, first-served. The campground is open year-round. The spectacular Green River Overlook is nearby. Nightly camping fee is $15 per site. Sites fill quickly spring through fall. There are toilets, picnic tables, and fire rings in the campground. There is no water at the campground. You can get drinking water outside the visitor center spring through fall.

ADA Access: Island in the Sky Campground has one accessible campsite and nearby pit toilet. The campsite is reserved at all times for people with disabilities only. The campsite is paved with the exception of the tent pad, which is dirt. Paths to the toilet and campsite payment station are paved.

National Park Service
Island in the Sky (Willow Flat) Campground is located in Utah
Directions
Turn on UT 313, approximately 10 miles north of Moab or 22 miles south of I-70. Follow the road 22 miles to the entrance to Canyonlands National Park - Island in the Sky district. Continue on the park road approximately 7 miles. Make a right turn toward Upheaval Dome, and follow signs to the campground.
9 Reviews of Island in the Sky (Willow Flat) Campground
Beautiful place

Great campground! But you have to get there early!!! Only ten spots. They were full when we got there but luckily someone was nice enough to share their site with us! Bathrooms were clean! 15$. Each site has a covered picnic table and a fire ring

A desert dessert

Ready to witness what desert camping is all about? Try your luck at Willow Flat campground.

At Willow Flat, you'll experience the most awe-inspiring milky way views you've ever seen. I'm serious - you won't want to go to sleep. There are insanely clean pit toilets and recycling/trash receptacles that are cleaned daily, though no running water, so bring your own. Each campsite has a fire pit (be sure to check fire regulations - there was a ban when we went) and picnic table under a pergola (perfect for hanging hammocks), along with room for ~3+ tents and a large vehicle. There is some off-trail hiking to the west of the campsites off the road, that I'm sure is not recommended, but allows you for some really cool views of the surrounding areas. The Green River Overlook is an easy 1/2 mile walk, perfect for sunset enjoyment.

Three of us arrived on Friday of Labor Day Weekend around 2pm and all 12 campsites were full - we went back to the Green River dispersed camping in Moab (45 min drive) to camp for the night, then returned Saturday morning at 8am to reserve a campsite here. It was worth the extra driving, and we lucked out as a few spots were open. Sites are $15/night payable by cash or personal check on site.

Truly one of the best camping spots I've ever experienced.

Campground with a View

Willow Flat campground is located in the Canyonlands National Park: Island in the sky section. It’s rather small with only 12 spots on a a first come first serve basis. Most spot fill up by noon. Fee is only $15 and is payed to an iron ranger (envelope drop box). Has 2 vault toilets that were serviced daily and the cleanest I have ever seen. Park rangers were very nice and asked us about our stay/ if we needed any additional information about the area. No water is available here though you can fill up at visitors center; use sparingly as this water is trucked up there from Moab. Only thing I could think of being a nuisance is the meat bees than seem to hang out in the mornings and nights. Simple screen room under the shade shelters solves this for cooking and just relaxing with out being bothered. Would definitely stay here again as it’s hard to beat this location near the Moab area! The campground is maybe 100 yards from the Green River Scenic overlook into Canyonlands! Our spot was number 5.

So Amazing

Bring lots of water. And ice. Especially in summer. Town is a long drive. Great spacious spots, sunshade (not rain proof) and picnic tables, fire ring w/grill. Very quiet, but able to hear everyone in camp. Most folks seem to be there to explore or sight see, so up early and to bed early. But be prepared to hear your neighbor. Facilities were cleaned daily. And in excellent condition. Really great spot in Pinion Pines and sagebrush. In such great proximity to trails and viewpoints. We woke up 15 min before sunrise, poured hot water in our French Press, drove to Mesa Arch, pressed, and then hiked watching the sunrise. It was beautiful. One night we took our dinner plates to the overlook for sunset, it was an amazing dinner. Luck of the draw on getting a spot. First come, first serve. I could see it being a mess during peak season and holidays. Although we managed to get a spot and be there for mother's day weekend. Saw many discouraged cars circling and leave on many days, but many sites were available when we left.

Zillions and zillions of stars

Are you feeling lucky? Grabbing one of the few first come- first served sites at Canyonlands National Park is tough because this section of the park is immensely popular and there are only twelve available. But it's worth the gamble.

We arrived at Willow Flat Campground around noon on a Monday to find it nearly full. As other folks mentioned, the campground doesn't have electric or water, so it attracts a more rugged crowd. Larger rigs might find the pads too small, but it was perfect for my 13' foot camper and the vault toilets were clean and accessible. I had brought an extra bottle of wine in hopes that we might be able to share it with some friendly neighbors and trade adventure stories, but the sites were too large and private to be that kind of spontaneously social.

Staying right in the national park let us experience a bit of desert therapy on a deeper level. We walked to the Green River Overlook for the most spectacular sunset and then hopped in the car for a quick 5 minute drive to Mesa Arch at sunrise and saw the rocks glow florescent orange. Those pictures are the stuff social media is made for. But the best memory that I couldn't capture via my iPhone was the magic of seeing the Milky Way at midnight. Sitting under heavy blankets in the inky quiet of a night sky, filled with more stars than could have imagined, made us feel very lucky indeed.

A photographers dream site - close to all the views

This is the only campground in the Islands of the Sky unit of Canyonlands National Park. I drove down from Salt Lake City on a Sunday in mid-March and snagged the last site at this small campground (it was just about noon). This campground fills quickly and has no reservations so you may want to come prepared with a backup (I recommend the BLM sites on the Colorado River closer to Moab). There are other campgrounds just outside the park as well that seemed available. The campground has large secluded sites, but only has a total of 12. The campground has clean vault toilets and each site has a picnic table under a shade cover and a fire ring. The fee is $15 per night. One important thing to note is that this campground has NO running water, so be sure to stock up at the visitor center and bring a 5-10 gal container. The nights we stayed it was a bit windy, but this is to be expected for a desert mesa top.

This campground is walking distance to Green River Overlook which is a beautiful spot to enjoy the sunset. There is plenty of hiking nearby to keep you busy during the day. I enjoyed hiking to upheaval dome and Aztec butte. I also woke up at sunrise to catch the spectacular views from Mesa arch. My one complaint about the campground is that it was far from Moab which I had wanted to check out and enjoy. It takes about an hour to get there from this campground. However, this is the tradeoff for being very close to the sites and hikes of the park. Overall this was a quiet and clean campground with all of the basic necessities, but I may have preferred to camp closer to Moab for convenience. For more info about the campground, click here.

Holy moly eARTh art

Wonderful cozy campsite. We got there thanksgiving morning. Barely slept and went straight to having our turkey feast… yes Turkey, while camping. There was grill, bench, a lil shade and couple of nice spots for 2 tents. But the main attraction is all the view loints surrounding the campsite. Known as the island in the sky. For us, it was extremely weird weather. It was snowing, but there was sunlight and barely any clouds. We drove around the area to see all the view points. Oh My Oh My Gosh

my fav.. mesa arch… must see in at sunrise

Quietest National Park Campground

This is the quietest, darkest national park i've ever camped at. There are only 12 sites, and they have great spacing, and most that camp way up in the Island In the Sky area of Canyonlands, are there for the stars, the peace, and the quiet. No barking dogs, revving engines, or loud music. This is the best spot for meteor showers, try to make it for an August Persed meteor show in the future. No reservations allowed for the campground at Willow Flat, it's a first come, first served camp. No water available either. Bring what you need! And enjoy the amazing hikes in the area!

Nice camping... But no place to hammock

I love Canyonlands and it's a vast national park. However if you're looking to hammock at willow flats, you're probably out of luck as there are little to no trees.