the dyrt
About Slickrock Campground
Private
Slickrock Campground is located in Utah
Directions
We’re located on the main highway one mile south of the Colorado River, in Moab Utah.
14 Reviews of Slickrock Campground
Tent camping? Not even close to worth it.

I paid more than two times a National Park or state park campground for the world’s tiniest site in the middle of what is essentially a parking lot with trees and a few tables…

Slickrock Campground should only be a last resort for tent campers as it was for me. I chose to camp here exclusively for the showers which had insanely variable water temperature. The bathrooms are in need of repair (moldy sinks and such) but were overall clean.

The only redeeming factor was going to be the hot tub. Doesn’t soaking in a hot tub after a day of hiking sounds great? Even if the pools are right on the main road. When I checked in I specifically asked if the hot tub was open, the woman at the desk looked me in the eye and said, “yeah the pool is open 10-10.” Which was true enough, the pool was open but BOTH hot tubs were closed…

They currently have a deal that it’s only $20 for a single tent site as a walk-in camper. If reserve ahead of time it’s considerably more. This encourages people not to make reservations and is thus a bad business move.

Perhaps if you have an RV this is a nice place to spend an evening or two, it’s conveniently located near the town of Moab and the nearby national parks.

Ranger Review: Inno Racks INH330 Review at Slickrock Campground, Moab, Utah

RANGER REVIEW:

CAMPGROUND REVIEW: SLICKROCK CAMPGROUND, MOAB, UTAH http://slickrockcampground.com/

The Office/store/pool/hot tubs/laundry room/pool baths located to the right as you enter the campground..

The clerk was pleasant and informative. Registration was quick and you are encouraged to drive through the campground to choose the site of your liking. Tent sites were a flat $20.

PROS:

•Relatively inexpensive

•Pool

•Hot tubs (2)

•Stocked store

•Free showers

•Clean spacious restroom/shower house

•Close proximity to everything in area

CONS:

•Stacked on top of each other

•Tent sites aren’t clearly discernible

•Tent camping in Moab in August is unpleasant due to heat and blowing dust (campground cannot control this one)

•Road noise

•Pool is only open 10:00-10:00 (I really wanted to cool off at 2:00 a.m.😉)

If you are purely looking for an inexpensive place to plop your tent or RV/Camper that is conveniently located to all things Moab…choose Slickrock campground. Slickrock Campground is located directly between Arches National Park and the cool little town of Moab.

In mid-August, it’s hotter than hot…87 degrees at night with no wind (which may keep you up at night) as I write this at 1:00 a.m. 108 degrees during the day.

Very diverse crowd, as foreigners choose economy camping to tour USA. Which is pretty cool.

RV/Campers have full hookups/electric and are priced higher, and A/C Cabins are also available for rental.

Tent sites are entirely dirt/powered sand. No electric, no water. Some offer a corrugated plastic shed roof shelter, others do not. We were early enough on a Sunday to secure a shelter. We also waited until evening to erect the tent due to a fine dusty sand that permeates everything…and to attempt to keep things cooler. Each site has an elevated charcoal grill and a stunted picnic table. If you drive a small economy vehicle you park that between the grill and your tent for line of sight barrier from your neighbor. The slightest squeak is heard from site to site.

We chose site 126, along the back of the property, furthest from the roadway. We still needed earplugs. A property line wire fence separates from the neighboring company that just so happened to leave their overhead light on all night…a small annoyance. Site 127’s vehicle was a few feet from our tent. No measure of privacy. But again, the price for the area…and a pool.

Arches National Park is 3 minutes north, Trendy Moab 3 minutes south. We visited both. Being a cyclist,..it’s Nirvana. Never have I seen so many bicycle/outdoor shops within one square mile…I trembled with excitement.

If you are looking to get away, enjoy solitude and be immersed in nature…Slickrock Campground is not for you.

If you are looking for a place to lay your head with pretty decent amenities within a rocks throw of all things cool…Slickrock is a great choice.

PRODUCT REVIEW: Inno Racks INH330 Two Bike hitch mount.

Inno Racks is not new to the bike rack community. Originating in the 60’s in Japan, they have been in the U.S. for almost two decades. Inno Racks offers several dIfferent style bIke racks, as well as attachments for wInter sports, water sports and cargo boxes. http://usa.innoracks.com/

The INH330 came packaged lIke Fort Knox…every part securely In Its place. No assembly required. DIrectIons do come wIth the rack, but adjustments are intuItIve and simple. Pop-pIns secure the wheel trays either flat for mountIng bicycles or uprIght/folded for storage. A pop-pIn also allows for angled tIlt.

The Inno INH330 can fit eIther 1.25 or 2 Inch receIvers and comes wIth an allen key to help wIth that transItIon.

Also Included Is a four foot cable and keys to secure your bIkes or rack to your receIver via an integrated lock.

Adjustable Wheel Trays slide along the horizontal rails to accommodate bicycles of varying lengths. To adjust, simply unloosen a large nylon wingnut and slide…when the wheel tray is in the desired position, tighten the wingnut securely. That simple. Each Wheel Tray has a dual ratcheting strap that is slipped through the bicycle wheels spokes and over the rim to secure the bicycle wheels and prevent the bicycle wheels from bouncing out of the wheel trays during transport. Wheel Trays accommodate tire sizes from less than an inch wide to five inches wide.

Frame Attachment: The Inno INH330 utilizes two vertical telescopic/ratcheting center posts with swivel-style ratcheting adjustment strap for each bike frame. Directions display this attachment on the bicycle's "down tube." The strap has both a sliding rubber bushing and a rubber pad on the center post to prevent damage to the bicycle finish. I found that I could also utilize the "seat tube" for attachment to the vertical attachment posts…if a water bottle cage was not attached to the bicycle seat tube.

Once secured properly at the horizontal center post and each wheel tray, the bicycle was held fast…no movement was observed…which is imperative if you don't want damage to bicycle frame or finish.

Removal is equally quick and simple…both the bicycles from the carrier and the carrier from your vehicle. (See video below)

A single Pop-pin through each horizontal wheel tray arm pops out with a pull, which allows you to fold the wheel tray arm up and re-insert the pop-pin. A directional pop-pin secures the INH330 in your vehicle's receiver, a push and twist removes the pop-pin and the bicycle carrier can be slid out of the vehicle's receiver. A centered T-handle between the vertical/ratcheting posts allows you to easily carry the INH330 to storage. At 30lbs, the INH330 is manageable.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, I liked the simplicity of the INNO INH330. Over the past four decades I have owned a myriad of different bike racks from various high profile companies…roof mounts, gutter mounts, window/trunk mounts, and hitch mounts. Some racks required removal of wheels with fork attachments. I suppose each have their place. For fuel economy reasons, I no longer desire a roof rack style carrier. The rear liftgate/trunk style rack has contact points on my vehicle's paint, which I no longer desire. The hitch style is my preferred method of attachment as it prevents the rack from stealing away fuel consumption, it doesn't mar my vehicle's paint or dent it's metal, furthermore, I have easy accessibility waist-to-shoulder height to my bicycles (a plus for aged and repaired shoulders).

I believe INNO Racks has a winner! (I would like to see the ability to add a third and fourth bike attachment, though😏).

Cheap and Easy!

We stumbled upon Slick Rock RV park and campground when we travelled into Moab late one night. We needed a place to stay and they have over 200 spots. The price is fair, especially during peak season, so we stayed there a bit. Overall, the park isn't the most fancy, nicest park you've ever been to but the people there are nice and the amenities get the job done. They do have wifi there but it isn't the strongest. The pool and hot tub need some work done but they were nice enough to sit in after a long day. Showers and toilets were clean. They do have a store on site with food, toiletries, alcohol, etc. It's located on the outside of Moab which is nice so you don't necessarily have to deal with all the traffic as much. Overall, we'd stay there again if need be!

Great Location Near Arches, Canyonlands & Other Desert Parks

More of an RV & trailer campground, but they do have a row of tent sites. Each tent site has a picnic table and space for your tent and car, but not much (if anything) else. Unfortunately we had LOTS of ants on our site when we stayed here overnight in late June. Thankfully there was a flatbed trailer parked right next to our site and we were able to pitch our tent on the trailer, safe from the ants (thank you awesome couple from Chicago who let us use their trailer!). The staff was very friendly & there are plenty of facilities (showers & bathrooms) and WiFi for campers, too!

Off season savings near Moab entrance

After driving the majority of the day from Denver to Moab and managing to escape the upcoming winter weather blowing into the Colorado I-70 corridor, there was nothing I wanted more than to find a campsite which was dry and warm. Traveling with my friend, which had not been camping with me before it was imperative that we found a campground that would have facilities which were both accessible and acceptable.

Entering Moab we found a great fit in SlickRock Campground, just a 3 mile drive from Arches National Park, it was a perfect stop for the night. Arriving late in the day just before sunset, the campground host was pleasant and let us drive in to select which tent site we preferred. Offering both covered and uncovered sites as well as single and double sites it appeared to meet the needs of campers of all kinds.

The site offered a pool and hot tub for those wishing to soak a bit after a long day wandering around the natural wonders of Moab or just wanting to soak away the evening hours. The office offered a variety of supplies and snacks including canned goods, ice creams, drinks and beverages for adults and candy for the kids. Also inside were a full listing of attractions in the Moab area which could help the traveler still trying to figure out just what they wanted to do in their time away from home.

With three bathhouses throughout the property the campground really seemed to have the campers needs at heart offering services within only a short few yards of each campsite. The bathhouses are large with several showers as well as toilets and plenty of sink space for spreading out for your morning routine. A bathhouse of this size could easily accommodate the crowds during the busy season and prove to be a cool retreat during warm summer months.

When we actually arrived to our site we were pleased to find even ground free of debris or rocks, a picnic table and a charcoal bbq station. We selected an uncovered space, which turned out to be our only negative of the evening as in late fall the leaves were falling constantly and hitting the tent making for some adjustment when attempting to settle for the evening.

The campground was relatively quiet with only a little noise from fellow campers. Though it seemed to dwindle as quiet time hours fell around 10 p.m.

And the bigger bonus…. All tent sites were only $20 because of an offseason special being observed when we visited late in October. Typically for $20 you almost have to be in a primitive campsite without amenities or a state or nationally run facility, however this was a privately run facility with more than a few perks. In comparison, a campground just up the way was double in price point with similar amenities.

On the negative side around 7 a.m. nearby roadwork or construction woke us aggressively alongside the cold. The cold obviously was a product of our choice to camp during fall however the construction was a byproduct of local elements, so if you are choosing to visit Moab you might want to select a campsite toward the back of the property to avoid a bit of the sounds generated.

Convenient and shady

Slickrock has easy access to Arches National Park and had a lot of camp sites. The campsites has picnic tables and grills. The grill in the sit we had was old and burned out on the bottom. It needed to be replaced. They had a pool and a small store will basic essentials. The the office and pool area was in need of repairs and updating. Over all it was a good campground.

Overpriced

RV sites are very close to each other for the amount you have to pay. We stayed here after Memorial Day so they had plenty of sites. We planned on staying for three days. First night our site was in the dirt so everything got dirty fast. Second day we asked to move to where there was pebbles in the dirt and more shade. The staff accommodated us with no problem. Later that day I had gotten really sick. My husband and I felt it best if we went home a day early. When we went to check out we explained our situation but because we had paid for three nights in advance they wouldn’t refund our money. Other than that problem and the RV sites being so close together it’s an okay place to stay.

Busy but convenient

We stayed here because there weren't many other options -- we were late in planning, and apparently there was a huge event going on. There were a lot of disrespectful motorists/off-road folks who decided to rev their engines late at night, which made it a slightly unpleasant experience. We were also sad that the hot tub closed so early. However, the hot showers were a huge bonus. The campsites are tiny, and we could barely fit our car and tent in the spot.

Crowded and unprofessional staff

We have come here for the past 5 years every Memorial Day weekend and each year we reserve our spots well ahead of time. Last 2 years my father-in-law even questioned if they were ok with our group having the larger site helping them to not make a mistake. They assured him that is would be no problem. They then kept adding people on our reserved area. We paid extra for the room and reserved it well ahead but not to their discomfort. The people running it are not going to look out for anything they said. Bathrooms are campground bathrooms but do have warm water. This is nice after a hot crazy day in moab. Fun pool for the kids but definitely a little dirty. Lots of dirty people hopping in not all their fault. Close sites, rude staff, decent bathrooms for camping, nice pool for campground, it is close to town, and great shading trees.

Great place

Beautiful location, well kept, amazing scenery. Can't go wrong.