the dyrt
Bureau of Land Management
Cowboy Camp is located in Utah
7 Reviews of Cowboy Camp
Ranger Review: Renogy Solar Backpack at Cowboy Camp near Moab, UT

Campground Review: I stayed at site 3 at the Cowboy camp North or Moab off 313 toward Dead Horse State Park. Overall, I really liked this campground. It is small (only 7 spots) and rustic which I appreciate. The access road is right off the highway but is not maintained so there are large rocks and not a spot for trailers. There is no water and the toilets are three sided pit toilets (no roof) which may not be for everyone. The camp host (and dumpster services) are located down the road at the Horsethief campground. It was really windy when I visited so be prepared for a fine dust over everything and to put out additional guy wires to stabilize your tent. It has the basic amenities: metal fire pit and picnic table. Despite the wind, the scenery was beautiful and you had privacy since the spots were not close to each other at all. You see your neighbors but weren’t in their business. Overall, I really enjoyed this campground and since I am mountain biking a lot more, it will be my go to spot for my biking weekends.

Pros:

*Small and intimate

*Close to Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse State Park, amazing mountain bike trail systems

*Scenery

Cons:

*In open range so watch out for cows. There was a nice old cow patty in my camp site area. Not a deal breaker but be aware of it.

*There was a large ant hill in my campsite but someone had put a ring of rocks around it so it was easy to spot.

*20-30 minutes from Moab. This is both good and bad depending on how frequently you need supplies in town.

Gear Review: Renogy Solar Backpack

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get the opportunity to test out gear from our partners once in a while. I have been testing out the Renogy Solar Backpack. My overall impressions of this backpack is it is awesome and it will turn into my car camping and computer/electronics backpack for everyday use. The straps are super comfortable, it has tons of pockets to store and organize your electronics stuff and the main pocket is huge to safely accommodate a laptop as well as lots of other stuff. I think the multiple pockets is a double edge sword. I love them but I also lose things in them/forget what pocket I put stuff in. The only pockets I wasn’t a huge fan of was the side zippered pockets meant for a water bottle or coffee mug. They were just a bit too short and loose for me to feel comfortable using them routinely without my mug falling out. But that is a totally minor thing that does not detract from the overall usage of the backpack.

Now the best part of the pack is the solar panel! The front has approximately a 9in x 11in solar panel with plug in cord that is amazing. You can have the panel facing out or if not in use you can flip it over and protect it. This adds a lot of zippers to the pack, which can be a minor inconvenience when you are trying to grab something quickly but overall it is just getting used to what zippers access what pockets or features. We have used this backpack in multiple locations, not just Cowboy Camp, and it has worked great every time. It will charge a small lipstick sized external battery (approximately one full cell phone charge) in just a few hours when the panel is in direct sun. We also hooked up other electronics like our GoPro or phone or headlamp directly to the power source and it charged in the same amount of time (approximately 2.5-3 hours). Obviously, full sun allows the panels to work better but it will work in cloudy conditions, just not as efficiently.

Overall impression: This backpack is a great addition to my pack arsenal. The solar panel will be a great addition to our normal camping gear and we will be able to utilize our electronics (like a GoPro or digital camera) more when we are camping for extended periods of time. Finally the pack itself is quite large (20L) and will be able to keep all our stuff organized and used as a computer/office bag when not camping.

Amazing view

This campground is small. It only has 6 spots. It's right off the road coming out of Canyonlands. There is only a pit toilet for amenities. But the view of the valley was amazing at sunset. Totally worth the car noise and wind that you will experience:

Tiny campground, huge views!

On our way to Canyonlands and everything was booked except for this less than 10 site campground perched on a few lovely curvy rocks.

Site 1 is big, private and has all the views….

We loved this location so much we stayed a couple of days and witnessed a thunderstorm over the Rockies and a meteor shower over the mesas!

There's no running water and a simple pit toilet is the only facility offered.

There's an interesting little trail that must have been a fire access road.

This is a quieter and simpler spot that's great for contemplative solitude.

Only as a last resort for Island in the Sky

We wanted to get into Willow Flats Campground in Island in the Sky but it was full when we arrived at like 9am. We only needed one night and planned to leave the next morning at 4am to get to Denver to cap off a two week trip in Utah, so we went to the first place we found, put our money in the board before even looking at the campsite, then drove down the very bumpy road to find a pretty crappy site. The picnic table was, I don't even know, black, burnt, gross. My girlfriend refers to it as a 'prison table picnic table'. Not good. We didn't even know there was a bathroom. There was a standard fire ring that was black and full of ashes. There wasnt any cover, rocks and dirt. I suppose the sunset view could be good, but we were in the park for it.

Even for one night, I would have looked elsewhere could i do it again. Would not stay there again.

Remote, sparse.

This is a decent spot to rest your head. It used to be a free dispersed camping area, but it became popular and so the BLM added an open-air potty and added a fee. The road in can be a bit rough, so check the road if you have a low clearance vehicle or are hauling a trailer. The sunsets here are spectacular. The location is great, just down the road from the Canyonlands "Island In The Sky" National Park, be sure to make time for exploring this great beauty!

Pretty but odd...

We got to the camp in mid day and there were many weird things. The bathroom had no door, our neighbors were weird, and the clouds started moving in. The view was pretty but we had to watch out for snakes and scorpions. At night it started down pouring on us and our tent was like a bath tub. In the morning we packed up and left

Very primitive site we saw on our map and decided to go. WARNING: BATHROOM DOESNT HAVE A DOOR, just a chain. It made for a lot of memories and an adventure we would never forget.