No Drinking Water
About Cowboy Camp Campground

Cowboy Camp offers secluded campsites tucked along a ridge on the mesas above Moab with striking vistas of canyon country. High clearance required, no RVs, trailers or pull campers. Individual sites are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The area has many 4WD roads and mountain bike routes. The campground is located near Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse Point State Park.

The campground has seven individual Sites (limited to 10 people & two vehicles per site); the site has toilets but no water or hook-ups.

Fee Info
$20/night (Pay at campground-cash or check only)
Price
No Showers
No Water Hookups
Cowboy Camp Campground is located in Utah
Directions
From the center of Moab (at Center and Main) head north on Hwy. 191 to Hwy.313. Turn left (west) on Hwy 313 and drive 18 miles. You will see the small campground sign on the right.
13 Reviews of Cowboy Camp Campground
20$ for what??

No bathroom. No tent mat. No water. No paved road. no garbage dumpster. Just a few picnic tables on a mountain top. So it’s super windy usually too.

It’s a beautiful campground with stunning views just a few miles outside Canyonlands and basically at the entrance to Dead Horse.

No mosquitoes when I got here but plenty of bees…

Cold , windy , exposed , bugs !!!

It sucked , wind and thunderstorms all night long for 2 days straight . Finally went and got a motel . Bugs were crazy !!! Everything wet !

Great campground - gorgeous sunsets

A friend and I came here as we didn't have any reservations for a campground one night during our Mighty 5 road trip.

We passed by here after visiting Dead Horse Point SP. It's very close to the state park and it's along the way to Canyonlands (about 15 minutes away).

The campground is quite simple. They're first-come, first-serve sites. Around 7 of them total.

When we came, it was insanely infested by mosquitoes, which is why I am docking a star from my review. They were horrible due to a wet, cool spring they had a few months before we arrived.

The bathroom situation is pretty bare. It's a pit-style with no official door - just a chain to say that it's occupied.

Our campsite (#1) was relatively flat, but it did have a slight angle. When we were setting up our tent, it was so windy that it kept blowing the tent away. We weren't able to get stakes into the ground due to the ground being too hard and full of rocks. We ended up using bungee cords tied to the picnic table.

By far, the best part of this campground was the sunset. It was one of the prettiest sunsets I've ever seen in my life. Well worth the $20 campground fee and the multiple mosquito bites we endured while watching the sun set.

Free Dispersed Camping Close to Parks

Tons of dispersed tent sites big enough for cars and small RV’s In some areas. Just have to explore down the dirt roads in the BLM area.

Very basic campground right outside canyonlands national park

This is a very basic campground that is right outside the national Park. The campgrounds inside the park get booked very quickly but there is alot of camping available right outside the park territory. This is one of them. There is also additional dispersed camping around this area.

bare bones, all that you need

perfect spot to camp outside canyonlands! heard so many coyotes running the canyon floor at night! one of my favorite campgrounds to date!

Ranger Review: Renogy Solar Backpack at Cowboy Camp near Moab, UT

Campground Review: I stayed at site 3 at the Cowboy camp North or Moab off 313 toward Dead Horse State Park. Overall, I really liked this campground. It is small (only 7 spots) and rustic which I appreciate. The access road is right off the highway but is not maintained so there are large rocks and not a spot for trailers. There is no water and the toilets are three sided pit toilets (no roof) which may not be for everyone. The camp host (and dumpster services) are located down the road at the Horsethief campground. It was really windy when I visited so be prepared for a fine dust over everything and to put out additional guy wires to stabilize your tent. It has the basic amenities: metal fire pit and picnic table. Despite the wind, the scenery was beautiful and you had privacy since the spots were not close to each other at all. You see your neighbors but weren’t in their business. Overall, I really enjoyed this campground and since I am mountain biking a lot more, it will be my go to spot for my biking weekends.

Pros:

*Small and intimate

*Close to Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse State Park, amazing mountain bike trail systems

*Scenery

Cons:

*In open range so watch out for cows. There was a nice old cow patty in my camp site area. Not a deal breaker but be aware of it.

*There was a large ant hill in my campsite but someone had put a ring of rocks around it so it was easy to spot.

*20-30 minutes from Moab. This is both good and bad depending on how frequently you need supplies in town.

Gear Review: Renogy Solar Backpack

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get the opportunity to test out gear from our partners once in a while. I have been testing out the Renogy Solar Backpack. My overall impressions of this backpack is it is awesome and it will turn into my car camping and computer/electronics backpack for everyday use. The straps are super comfortable, it has tons of pockets to store and organize your electronics stuff and the main pocket is huge to safely accommodate a laptop as well as lots of other stuff. I think the multiple pockets is a double edge sword. I love them but I also lose things in them/forget what pocket I put stuff in. The only pockets I wasn’t a huge fan of was the side zippered pockets meant for a water bottle or coffee mug. They were just a bit too short and loose for me to feel comfortable using them routinely without my mug falling out. But that is a totally minor thing that does not detract from the overall usage of the backpack.

Now the best part of the pack is the solar panel! The front has approximately a 9in x 11in solar panel with plug in cord that is amazing. You can have the panel facing out or if not in use you can flip it over and protect it. This adds a lot of zippers to the pack, which can be a minor inconvenience when you are trying to grab something quickly but overall it is just getting used to what zippers access what pockets or features. We have used this backpack in multiple locations, not just Cowboy Camp, and it has worked great every time. It will charge a small lipstick sized external battery (approximately one full cell phone charge) in just a few hours when the panel is in direct sun. We also hooked up other electronics like our GoPro or phone or headlamp directly to the power source and it charged in the same amount of time (approximately 2.5-3 hours). Obviously, full sun allows the panels to work better but it will work in cloudy conditions, just not as efficiently.

Overall impression: This backpack is a great addition to my pack arsenal. The solar panel will be a great addition to our normal camping gear and we will be able to utilize our electronics (like a GoPro or digital camera) more when we are camping for extended periods of time. Finally the pack itself is quite large (20L) and will be able to keep all our stuff organized and used as a computer/office bag when not camping.

Amazing view

This campground is small. It only has 6 spots. It's right off the road coming out of Canyonlands. There is only a pit toilet for amenities. But the view of the valley was amazing at sunset. Totally worth the car noise and wind that you will experience:

Tiny campground, huge views!

On our way to Canyonlands and everything was booked except for this less than 10 site campground perched on a few lovely curvy rocks.

Site 1 is big, private and has all the views….

We loved this location so much we stayed a couple of days and witnessed a thunderstorm over the Rockies and a meteor shower over the mesas!

There's no running water and a simple pit toilet is the only facility offered.

There's an interesting little trail that must have been a fire access road.

This is a quieter and simpler spot that's great for contemplative solitude.

Only as a last resort for Island in the Sky

We wanted to get into Willow Flats Campground in Island in the Sky but it was full when we arrived at like 9am. We only needed one night and planned to leave the next morning at 4am to get to Denver to cap off a two week trip in Utah, so we went to the first place we found, put our money in the board before even looking at the campsite, then drove down the very bumpy road to find a pretty crappy site. The picnic table was, I don't even know, black, burnt, gross. My girlfriend refers to it as a 'prison table picnic table'. Not good. We didn't even know there was a bathroom. There was a standard fire ring that was black and full of ashes. There wasnt any cover, rocks and dirt. I suppose the sunset view could be good, but we were in the park for it.

Even for one night, I would have looked elsewhere could i do it again. Would not stay there again.