Aneth, UTAH
Most Recent Aneth Camping Reviews
Basic and beautiful

Very nice Forest Service campground! Sites are private, large, and well spaced. Lots of nearby ATV trails. We were there in early May and it was largely empty the first few nights. Great place to explore. Our only complaint is that some sites have road noise from the highway.

Also FYI there is lots of available dispersed camping if you continue past the campground entrance.

Great views, can be windy

Spent 3 nights here in 2 different locations. Loved it. Quiet, dispersed areas. Dirt road is well maintained but when it gets wet it can get muddy quick. Your on a cliff so winds can pick up. Plenty of spots for various sizes rigs. Great place to just enjoy sunrise or sunset. I've seen a few couples in tents so the wind is not that bad I guess.

Plenty of Amenities

I'm going to start off with this isn't our kind of camping but if you love amenities when you camp, this is the place to be. We arrived early in the morning (wasn't even sure we would be able to check in) but they they said we could get checked in and told us where the other members of our party were at in the park. The office staff was extremely friendly and eager to tell us all about the park. They even had Easter candy and eggs in the office and outside the door for the kiddos. They directed us to our site which was located just behind the teepees. The site was small but it had electricity and a water spicket right behind it. The site was all gravel, even the tent pad but there was a lovely patch of grass behind us that we were directed to put nothing on.

Some of the amenities: There were heated bathrooms with flush toilets, running water sinks and showers. Music played in the bathroom 24/7. There were laundry facilities as well and on the side of the building a dish washing station. You could wash your dishes in a sink with hot water! There's a pool (it wasn't open yet) and for a short little walk, a 3 acre dog park. It was so nice for our dogs to get out and run. Beyond that was a trail that went around a lake and on the other side was a playground, much nicer then the campgrounds which seems a bit outdated. The park wasn't very clean though. There were also several geocaches with in walking distance of the campground.

Shortly after we arrived and checked out the dog park, we began prepping and smoking our spiral ham. It was Easter weekend after all, what better then Easter dinner. Shortly after we put some beans in a dutch oven and smoked those as well. Everyone sat and ate a nice Easter dinner (we all came together from three sites). Shortly after we had our first of three egg hunts in the overflow area of the campground. There weren't any campers down there so the kids had plenty of space to hunt and run. The campground in general wasn't very full, it is still early. We followed up our first egg hunt with birthday celebrations for our youngest who turned 5! Cake and gifts and family. We waited for dark and then had our second Easter egg hunt with glow stick eggs! Shortly after everyone retired and it got cold at night. It had to have been in the 30's. There was a lot of light in the campground. Everytime I peered out of my sleeping bag it felt like morning even though it was the middle of the night. That was not all that appealing to me. You could also hear the highway. The campground itself was quiet but the highway could be heard.

The next morning the kids woke up to their third egg hunt and their baskets from the Easter bunny and then another trip to the dog park. We opted to not eat breakfast here and hit up starbucks on the way home.

Overall, it's a nice park with plenty of amenities. If you don't want to be quite so rugged, this might be a great option.

Enjoyed it

My 1st stay was early February 2019 and it was 18 and 30mph winds. The van was rocking but I slept like a baby and was the only one there. Stayed again late April 2019 and it was full of RVs stacked against the edge so I parked away from them. Quiet night, warm, not windy at all. Just full of those pretentious RVers with their website plastered all over their rig taking selfies. It's quit the comedy to watch them shoot video(I presume for YT) never going further than the tourist plaque.

Quick stop

Making my away around the four corner states, needed a quick spot to pull over for the night. There’s nice secluded spots and then there’s areas for groups. Was able to let my dog off the leash and roam our campsite. There’s bathrooms about a half mile or less walk depending how far you park. Awesome sunrise and sunset.

Windy, wild, and beautiful

We changed campsites upon arrival because of the wind, but there were plenty of very private and sheltered sites. The tent pad was almost small for our huge tent with a large garage, but we managed to fit. Chilly at night, but lovely during the day with easy access to the tours.

Breathtaking in fall

Got to visit this beauty in fall and went up 8,000 feet elevation. So beautiful and remote.

Great little campground!

Many roads into area, all narrow, winding and potholed. Arrive well before dark as roads are also full of livestock. Clean bathroom but no showers. Lovely views all around. Dark sky activities in summer. Shelters and fire rings at all spots as well as nice tent pads. Some rv only spots. Water inside visitor center, pump out front didn't work. Free admission to Monument, $15 bucks to camp. Improvements to water and infrastructure in progress. Fees for admission coming in May 2019.

Free, Picturesque, and a bit muddy

This is BLM Land outside of Mesa Verde National Park. Has quite a few different sites that are all free and have fairly easy access to. The one downside (for us) was that it had just rained and the sites and road are clay which we ended up sinking into and getting stuck in. Luckily a few other campers nearby got up to watch the show and see us dig to get out (eventually they all helped push us out). There's a little road noise from the highway but it didn't bother us.

Each site has a little rock ringed fire pit and a flat area for a tent that we saw.

So if you want a free spot for up to 14 nights and want to check out Mesa Verde (highly recommend it), this is a pretty nice little spot.

Not Bad

The only campground in Mesa Verde National Park, this is the most expensive National Park campground I have stayed in. Morefield is also the only National Park campground I've visited that had wifi, free showers, and paid laundry. There were very few other campers in the tent loops mid-October. The bathrooms are kind of mostly clean. There is also water and trash throughout the campground. Most of the attractions in Mesa Verde are a little less than an hour's drive away. I wish I could have stayed longer if only to go on more of the tours of historic sites.

Not Bad

The only campground in Mesa Verde National Park, this is the most expensive National Park campground I have stayed in. Morefield is also the only National Park campground I've visited that had wifi, free showers, and paid laundry. There were very few other campers in the tent loops mid-October. The bathrooms are mostly kind of clean. There is also water and trash throughout the campground. Most of the attractions in Mesa Verde are a little less than an hour's drive away. I wish I could have stayed longer if only to go on more of the tours of historic sites.

Not Bad

The only campground in Mesa Verde National Park, this is the most expensive National Park campground I have stayed in. Morefield is also the only National Park campground I've visited that had wifi, free showers, and paid laundry. There were very few other campers in the tent loops mid-October. The bathrooms are mostly kinda clean. There is also water and trash throughout the campground. Most of the attractions in Mesa Verde are a little less than an hour's drive away. I wish I could have stayed longer if only to go on more of the tours of historic sites.

quiet and scenic

This is one of my favorite, lesser known camp spots and areas to explore. Valley of the Gods sits in southern Utah near Mexican Hat. The area is somewhat of a small Monument Valley. The views surrounding the campsites are of spires, towers and red rock cliffs. The best part? There are usually not many people here.

The valley and camp spots can be reached via Valley of the Gods Rd which connects highway 163 and 261. The roads can be hard to find as you will probably drive right past them. Valley of the Gods Rd is all dirt and is about 17 miles long. The drive itself is very scenic, be aware during rainy season the road can get very flooded and low clearance cars will have a hard time.

Camp spots are anywhere you want, most of them will be right off the road. Flat spots, pull offs and rock fire rings will tell you if someone has camped there before. The valley is overseen by BLM so there are no fees to camp, on the flip side of that, that means there are no toilets or any kinds of services. Some people prefer camp spots this way.

I have seen small 2 wheel drive cars to large RV's and Trailers on this road ,but like i mentioned earlier, there are big dips here and there and the rains can flood them. Use caution upon entering the Valley. Overall, amazing spots with equal scenery.

Utah is one of my favorite places to visit. The hiking here is one of my favorite things to do. The Buckboard Campground was really nice to stay at because it was in a great location near lots of wonderful hikes. My family and I stayed here for 4 nights, and enjoyed hiking in the mornings. We really enjoyed our stay in this campground. One things we really appreciated was how helpful the rangers were. They put us in the right direction to our campsite as well as what good hikes were along the way. They gave us maps that were super helpful, so we definitely appreciated them and all their help. If you have any questions, I recommend asking them for help. The campground was big enough for about 50 spots, and had a few bathrooms onsite. There was also a little river that passed through on the backside of the campground. At night we could hear the rushing water which we really enjoyed. The weather was awesome when we went, and the mosquitos werent too bad. We did bring bug spray and sprayed before we went hiking. Bring your own water because there was not a water hook up available at this campground. There was a picnic table in the campsite as well as a fire ring. We used this at night to do smores, and used the table to eat our meals. The space was big enough for our truck and 2 tents. Also is dog friendly.

Quiet, spacious and great views!

The Views is located just outside Dolores, CO with immediate access to McPhee Reservoir, Dolores River and miles of mountain bike trails. You are close enough to Durango and Cortez to get any and all necessities, but far enough away to enjoy miles of unobstructed views to the west and NO city lights to block the amazing stargazing opportunities.

The facilities are super clean, well laid out and easily accessible. The RV sites are level, spacious and very easy to park the RV.

The crew @ The Views are super friendly and Matt is a local expert on the mountain bike trails.

We loved our stay at The Views this summer and would not hesitate to stop in for more time on our next trip.

Newly remodeled and excellent modern campground

After seeing photos of the beautiful modern shade structures in a friend’s Facebook post, I knew that Hovenweep was a camping spot I should keep on my list of possibilities. Sure enough it was truly lovely and very clean. The remodel allowed for large sage bushes to remain between the level gravel camping pads so that despite the lack or large trees in this region there is still a sense of privacy between sites. The modern shade structures provide a great way to string up a lantern for your late night or a way to tie your hammock up as well. The position of the campsite on the bluff of the canyon provided a great view of the sunset as well. Clean and cared for restrooms are just a close walk on well marked paths. Highly recommend this campground. Hovenweep is a really special place!

Best 5 days ever.

Spent 5 nights with my family in mid July. It was great for the kids and adults. They had an ice cream social the first night. The Dolores river runs along the back of the property. Fishing was good. Floating the river with the family was a big hit. We will be going back again.

Quiet and comfortable

Stayed at Jimez loop, site #86. Its got everything you need, except a ton of shade.

Cliff Dwellers

I have been to Mesa Verde twice and still have not been able to see all I want to. The Cliff dwellings are amazing. it is worth the time to go on tours. handicap tours are available but the non handicap tours need a little stamina and hiking skills. The require climbing ladders. We stayed in the primative camping area tenting. A skunk came into our camping area which was very scary but it didn't spray us as we tried to stay still as he explored our site. Water is close by as well as bathrooms and showers. There are reasonable eating establishments and stores on the campgrounds. Firewood and ice are available. There is no pool. We went for the Cliff dweller experience and many of the areas are handicap accessible. There is a museum and gift shop in the park.

Perfect jump off

We arrived early on a Friday and met the cheerful helpful rangers at arrival. They were very helpful and gave us directions to campsites as well as info about our checkout for our river trip on the San Juan River the next day. Campsites were clean and close to the boat ramp but also allowed for seclusion. We set up our hammocks n site #1. A short walk away was the Sand Island Petroglyph Panel. Very cool and well maintained. Our kids met us for the night and enjoyed a night camping with our darling grandbaby. Loved the area and will return.

Clean, well maintained, dog area, next to an even bigger dog park. Laundry

Nice staff, clean restrooms and laundry. Two teepees that you can stay in with cots and floor mat. Cabins galore with a/c and antenna. Will return

Perhaps the Perfect Campground

A beautiful location just across the road from Mesa Verde National Park. Spotless, modern bathrooms with enough showers and stalls to not have to wait. Not too huge that you get lost. Very nice people working the office and reservations. Easily accessible sites and hookups. We've been stayed twice in three years and it has remained the same well-maintained campground. One very nice large pool and two spas. Playground area as well. Laundry is super clean and reasonably priced.

Big sites, clean and beautiful

If you are headed to Mesa Verde, stay inside the park at Morefield. The campground is isolated, yet close to a store, showers and pet care. Some sites lack shade but most are very large.

Good Campgrounds!!

Nice! nice secluded spots amongst the trees. we booked online but got to pick out our own spot . not sure if this is always the way or if it’s because it wasn’t too busy mid June. Showers and Laundry just a short drive or walk to where the camp check in is. Also a cafe , we didn’t eat there just coffee $25 a night , worth it for the quietness and privacy of the camp site

Fabulous History

We stayed inside Mesa Verde for two nights. the camping was good and they even had showers and laundry you could use. Make sure you go to the visitors center first thing and book your tours of the different cliff dwellings!

Great overnight stay within National Park!

Spacious tent sites. Bathrooms within close range. WiFi located at each bathroom.

clean and quiet

very clean pIt toilets and well maintained campground. lots of good spots for tents with plenty of room and vegetation between providing privacy. as a solo woman traveler, it felt both safe and relatIvely quiet while not being too isolated. close to hwy 191 with a paved road throughout the campground.

CLEAN SHOWERS!!!!!

Very surprised with the actual size of Mesa Verde National Park. The facilities are maintained very well and are kept extremely clean. The showers they are amazing. Especially after tent camping for a week!

Be prepared to sign up for tours - under $10 per person, which is very reasonable - to see some of the cliff sites up close.T he museum and rangers were great. Be sure to buy your tickets in advance as there is a limited number of tours each day and they fill up. You can only purchase tickets up to 2 days in advance and it has to be in person. The tours are so worth the effort!

Peaceful

Best experience.

Pretty much perfect

Pretty rustic with pit toliets, but big beautiful sites. Solitude, nature.