Aneth, UTAH
Most Recent Aneth Camping Reviews
Views for days

Free primitive camping with amazing views. No facilities. Pack in and pack out. Plenty of spaces to chose from.

Nice RV Campgrounds w/ Cabins, Tents & Wagons

Just off the main road to the East of Dolores, backed up to the river.

Monticello RV Campground

just happened upon this gem during a road trip to the south rim of the Grand Canyon, just south of Moab. Absolutely perfect campground/RV park. only a few tent sites in the back of the park, but superbly placed along a fence line. they were in the process of moving sites to allow grass to grow, but not one bad tent pad.  they are located on the back of the park near the office. just north of the tent sites lies an open field with horses that seems to go miles. To the west lies a field of wind turbines. The sites have a lot of tree cover for shade. They have some of, if not the cleanest restroom/showers I have ever been to. And that is saying a lot. Plus they have free Wifi.  Hosts were super friendly and helpful to anything we needed.  Super quiet park with pleasant fellow campers/Rv'ers.

Morefield at Mesa Verde National Park is great! July, 2019

This was one of the few national parks that didn’t take reservations via recreation.gov and their prices were a bit higher, but we booked anyway. So, the campground has FREE WiFi, FREE showers, a campstore, plenty of flush toilets with nice sinks and running water. There is also a laundromat with great prices. The store, showers laundromat etc are a very short walk from the tent campsites. The WiFi reaches the campground, it was great for amenities. The park is amazing if you have never been, we highly recommend it.

Nice campground on the banks of the San Juan river with petroglyphs nearby.

Nice and quiet, has shade trees on A loop. B loop had a few flooded sites. Has potable water and pit toilets. Great stop over between four corners and monument valley/ Grand canyon.

Awesome Group Site

I see rumors that “No Camping” signs are going up, as of early July we did not see anything. We had a ton of family at the big Ramada which had 4 tables and a fire pit. There is a dirt volleyball court. There is a pit toilet that is a 4 minute walk away. There is a small dock for canoes, kayaks and small boats. The water was perfect, muddy but no bad smell. Lots of bugs in the evening. There are a few other sites around the lake but it is definitely limited.

Perfect out on the Water

We just spent a day out here but there were plenty of campers near the reservoir and I figured it was worth people knowing about. Water was overflowing because of a wet year. Perfect for kayaking and swimming, not too cold. Multiple sites around the waters edge, most campers seemed to be on the South and East sides.

Beautiful quiet campground

Very friendly fast check in- reservations not really needed but I always did just in case. They are very bear aware and have bear boxes and bear education. We stayed at the first loop- Zuni loop- closest to the laundry and showers. Surprisingly very quiet here. Stayed a total of 4 nights for app. $100. They have pancake breakfast from 8-10am for $8.00 but we didn’t try it out- smelt really good! Ranger program at 9pm every night and is very educational and fun! Overall great campground and beautiful park! Just be aware that the part fee of $25 is NOT included in the camping price. Toilets are normal toilets with sinks. :) could take days to explore this park!

Great park with great camping

Spent two nights tent camping. Plenty of sites and well accommodated. Camp store/cafe was excellent.

A definate MUST.

Stayed at The Views for 1 month and totally enjoyed our time. Well maintained, quite and the owners and staff so nice and hard workers. Hopefully, we will be able to return and will look forward to it!

Nice quiet dispersed area

To find this, go north out of town and go right (east) on Mexican Hat Rock Rd. Bear left at the only fork. Road ends at the San Juan River and the suggested spots are before it ends, near the river. After sunset it was cool on a hot day, and the river made for nice foot-washing. There are several pull-outs that make decent camp sites. No services of any kind but it’s close to town and there is a decent cell signal. And the night skies are lovely, as is The Rock.

Stunning views

Great location from Mesa Verde National Park. Cozy spots. Newer facilities. Fantastic views of the mesas and mountains!

Every Fathers Day

I have been coming to this site for the last 20 years. Took my dad there. He loved it. And this is where he had his ashes spread. So every Father’s Day my son and I make a trip here. Primitive. No amenities. But it spectacular view of the valley below.

Huge Campground in National Park

We stayed one night in the park last August. They have hundreds of sites and many were unoccupied during our visit in August. They have huge camp store and restroom facilities. The expansive campgrounds are exposed with little shade. Most of the sites are also very uneven. So you will need levelers if you have a trailer or van. It can becomes very hot in the summer and you will need to plan carefully to manage the heat and sun. The Mesa Verde cliff sites are a bucket list item. Wow! It was very interesting to learn more about the Pueblo Culture and history. Well worth the visit and the long drive from the entrance to the cliffs. The cliff sites require step climbs and ladders to access.

Nice spot. Very quiet.

New owners have really polished the place up. They also have "cabin" rooms in a refurbished vintage motel on site. It was a nice change to park the camper snd indulge in a room with queen beds and an unlimited hot showet after 11 days camping. Reasonable rates and free continental breakfast.

Clean and private sites

We stopped here on our way home to Durango. Asphalt sites made for easy setup, and each one looked to have a picnic table and fire ring. Sites are mostly far away from each other for privacy, and the camp is much bigger than it looks when you drive in. Price is 10 bucks, which is well worth it.

Basic and beautiful

Very nice Forest Service campground! Sites are private, large, and well spaced. Lots of nearby ATV trails. We were there in early May and it was largely empty the first few nights. Great place to explore. Our only complaint is that some sites have road noise from the highway.

Also FYI there is lots of available dispersed camping if you continue past the campground entrance.

Great views, can be windy

Spent 3 nights here in 2 different locations. Loved it. Quiet, dispersed areas. Dirt road is well maintained but when it gets wet it can get muddy quick. Your on a cliff so winds can pick up. Plenty of spots for various sizes rigs. Great place to just enjoy sunrise or sunset. I've seen a few couples in tents so the wind is not that bad I guess.

Plenty of Amenities

I'm going to start off with this isn't our kind of camping but if you love amenities when you camp, this is the place to be. We arrived early in the morning (wasn't even sure we would be able to check in) but they they said we could get checked in and told us where the other members of our party were at in the park. The office staff was extremely friendly and eager to tell us all about the park. They even had Easter candy and eggs in the office and outside the door for the kiddos. They directed us to our site which was located just behind the teepees. The site was small but it had electricity and a water spicket right behind it. The site was all gravel, even the tent pad but there was a lovely patch of grass behind us that we were directed to put nothing on.

Some of the amenities: There were heated bathrooms with flush toilets, running water sinks and showers. Music played in the bathroom 24/7. There were laundry facilities as well and on the side of the building a dish washing station. You could wash your dishes in a sink with hot water! There's a pool (it wasn't open yet) and for a short little walk, a 3 acre dog park. It was so nice for our dogs to get out and run. Beyond that was a trail that went around a lake and on the other side was a playground, much nicer then the campgrounds which seems a bit outdated. The park wasn't very clean though. There were also several geocaches with in walking distance of the campground.

Shortly after we arrived and checked out the dog park, we began prepping and smoking our spiral ham. It was Easter weekend after all, what better then Easter dinner. Shortly after we put some beans in a dutch oven and smoked those as well. Everyone sat and ate a nice Easter dinner (we all came together from three sites). Shortly after we had our first of three egg hunts in the overflow area of the campground. There weren't any campers down there so the kids had plenty of space to hunt and run. The campground in general wasn't very full, it is still early. We followed up our first egg hunt with birthday celebrations for our youngest who turned 5! Cake and gifts and family. We waited for dark and then had our second Easter egg hunt with glow stick eggs! Shortly after everyone retired and it got cold at night. It had to have been in the 30's. There was a lot of light in the campground. Everytime I peered out of my sleeping bag it felt like morning even though it was the middle of the night. That was not all that appealing to me. You could also hear the highway. The campground itself was quiet but the highway could be heard.

The next morning the kids woke up to their third egg hunt and their baskets from the Easter bunny and then another trip to the dog park. We opted to not eat breakfast here and hit up starbucks on the way home.

Overall, it's a nice park with plenty of amenities. If you don't want to be quite so rugged, this might be a great option.

Enjoyed it

My 1st stay was early February 2019 and it was 18 and 30mph winds. The van was rocking but I slept like a baby and was the only one there. Stayed again late April 2019 and it was full of RVs stacked against the edge so I parked away from them. Quiet night, warm, not windy at all. Just full of those pretentious RVers with their website plastered all over their rig taking selfies. It's quit the comedy to watch them shoot video(I presume for YT) never going further than the tourist plaque.

Quick stop

Making my away around the four corner states, needed a quick spot to pull over for the night. There’s nice secluded spots and then there’s areas for groups. Was able to let my dog off the leash and roam our campsite. There’s bathrooms about a half mile or less walk depending how far you park. Awesome sunrise and sunset.

Windy, wild, and beautiful

We changed campsites upon arrival because of the wind, but there were plenty of very private and sheltered sites. The tent pad was almost small for our huge tent with a large garage, but we managed to fit. Chilly at night, but lovely during the day with easy access to the tours.

Breathtaking in fall

Got to visit this beauty in fall and went up 8,000 feet elevation. So beautiful and remote.

Great little campground!

Many roads into area, all narrow, winding and potholed. Arrive well before dark as roads are also full of livestock. Clean bathroom but no showers. Lovely views all around. Dark sky activities in summer. Shelters and fire rings at all spots as well as nice tent pads. Some rv only spots. Water inside visitor center, pump out front didn't work. Free admission to Monument, $15 bucks to camp. Improvements to water and infrastructure in progress. Fees for admission coming in May 2019.

Free, Picturesque, and a bit muddy

This is BLM Land outside of Mesa Verde National Park. Has quite a few different sites that are all free and have fairly easy access to. The one downside (for us) was that it had just rained and the sites and road are clay which we ended up sinking into and getting stuck in. Luckily a few other campers nearby got up to watch the show and see us dig to get out (eventually they all helped push us out). There's a little road noise from the highway but it didn't bother us.

Each site has a little rock ringed fire pit and a flat area for a tent that we saw.

So if you want a free spot for up to 14 nights and want to check out Mesa Verde (highly recommend it), this is a pretty nice little spot.

Not Bad

The only campground in Mesa Verde National Park, this is the most expensive National Park campground I have stayed in. Morefield is also the only National Park campground I've visited that had wifi, free showers, and paid laundry. There were very few other campers in the tent loops mid-October. The bathrooms are kind of mostly clean. There is also water and trash throughout the campground. Most of the attractions in Mesa Verde are a little less than an hour's drive away. I wish I could have stayed longer if only to go on more of the tours of historic sites.

Not Bad

The only campground in Mesa Verde National Park, this is the most expensive National Park campground I have stayed in. Morefield is also the only National Park campground I've visited that had wifi, free showers, and paid laundry. There were very few other campers in the tent loops mid-October. The bathrooms are mostly kind of clean. There is also water and trash throughout the campground. Most of the attractions in Mesa Verde are a little less than an hour's drive away. I wish I could have stayed longer if only to go on more of the tours of historic sites.

Not Bad

The only campground in Mesa Verde National Park, this is the most expensive National Park campground I have stayed in. Morefield is also the only National Park campground I've visited that had wifi, free showers, and paid laundry. There were very few other campers in the tent loops mid-October. The bathrooms are mostly kinda clean. There is also water and trash throughout the campground. Most of the attractions in Mesa Verde are a little less than an hour's drive away. I wish I could have stayed longer if only to go on more of the tours of historic sites.

quiet and scenic

This is one of my favorite, lesser known camp spots and areas to explore. Valley of the Gods sits in southern Utah near Mexican Hat. The area is somewhat of a small Monument Valley. The views surrounding the campsites are of spires, towers and red rock cliffs. The best part? There are usually not many people here.

The valley and camp spots can be reached via Valley of the Gods Rd which connects highway 163 and 261. The roads can be hard to find as you will probably drive right past them. Valley of the Gods Rd is all dirt and is about 17 miles long. The drive itself is very scenic, be aware during rainy season the road can get very flooded and low clearance cars will have a hard time.

Camp spots are anywhere you want, most of them will be right off the road. Flat spots, pull offs and rock fire rings will tell you if someone has camped there before. The valley is overseen by BLM so there are no fees to camp, on the flip side of that, that means there are no toilets or any kinds of services. Some people prefer camp spots this way.

I have seen small 2 wheel drive cars to large RV's and Trailers on this road ,but like i mentioned earlier, there are big dips here and there and the rains can flood them. Use caution upon entering the Valley. Overall, amazing spots with equal scenery.

Utah is one of my favorite places to visit. The hiking here is one of my favorite things to do. The Buckboard Campground was really nice to stay at because it was in a great location near lots of wonderful hikes. My family and I stayed here for 4 nights, and enjoyed hiking in the mornings. We really enjoyed our stay in this campground. One things we really appreciated was how helpful the rangers were. They put us in the right direction to our campsite as well as what good hikes were along the way. They gave us maps that were super helpful, so we definitely appreciated them and all their help. If you have any questions, I recommend asking them for help. The campground was big enough for about 50 spots, and had a few bathrooms onsite. There was also a little river that passed through on the backside of the campground. At night we could hear the rushing water which we really enjoyed. The weather was awesome when we went, and the mosquitos werent too bad. We did bring bug spray and sprayed before we went hiking. Bring your own water because there was not a water hook up available at this campground. There was a picnic table in the campsite as well as a fire ring. We used this at night to do smores, and used the table to eat our meals. The space was big enough for our truck and 2 tents. Also is dog friendly.