Fires Unknown
Pets Unknown
About Mustang Ridge Campground

Mustang Ridge Campground is located on a high desert bluff above beautiful Flaming Gorge Reservoir at an elevation of 6,300 feet. The reservoir can be accessed within a half-mile of the campground. Recreational activities abound, including boating, water skiing and fishing.

Recreation

A boat ramp is adjacent to the campground, offering great access to boating, water skiing and fishing on the reservoir. Sunny Cove Day Use Area is within a half-mile, offering a quieter place for swimming, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, hiking and rock climbing.

Facilities

This large campground offers several family campsites, two of which are accessible, and one group site that can accommodate up to 40 people. Sites are equipped with picnic tables and campfire rings.

Flush and vault toilets, drinking water and showers are provided. An amphitheater with bleacher seating and a screen support is located on the outer loop. Firewood is available for purchase from the host. Roads and parking spurs are paved.

Natural Features

The campground is situated among a dense pinyon pine and juniper forest dotted with sagebrush. The vegetation provides privacy between campsites but only partial shade. The outer loop campsites are on the edge of the ridge and offer expansive views of the reservoir.

Nearby Attractions

Flaming Gorge Dam offers guided tours of the working hydroelectric plant and the dam, and the adjacent visitor center contains area history exhibits.

The Green River below the dam provides spectacular rafting opportunities. A trip down the river offers unique geology, outlaw history and Native American rock art.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Price
$28.00 - $154.00
National Forest
Mustang Ridge Campground is located in Utah
Directions
From Vernal, take U.S. 191 north for 51 miles. Three miles north of Dutch John on U.S. 191, turn west onto Forest Road 184 and travel approximately 2 miles to the campground. From Manila, Utah, take Highway 44 for 28 miles. Turn left on U.S. 191 and go north for about 13 miles, passing through Dutch John. Three miles north of Dutch John on U.S. 191, turn west onto Forest Road 184 and travel approximately 2 miles to the campground. From Rock Springs, Wyoming, take I-80 west toward Green River about 6 miles to the junction with U.S. 191/Flaming Gorge Road. Take U.S. 191 south for about 59 miles toward Dutch John. Three miles north of Dutch John on U.S. 191, turn west onto Forest Road 184 and travel approximately 2 miles to the campground.
6 Reviews of Mustang Ridge Campground
Great Location

The Red Canyon along the flaming gorge is AMAZING! GREAT fly fishing! Site 29 had 2 tables, views of Ashley Forest, and privacy. Very good campground with showers.

Campground Review:

We came up here to stay for one night. Its $25 a night so for me a lil pricey but then when I walked my dog around the park I can see why it cost that much. There were like 6 bathroom facilities a boat dock and even shower facilities. There are pull through sites, tent sites, and back in camper sites. It was one of the biggest campgrounds I've been in with excellent views. They had a pavilion where we seen tons of wild turkeys. Ken came and let us know he'd seen a mtn lion in the morning and be careful with out dog he didnt want to see it harmed. He went around the entire campground to let everyone with pets know. So good customer service there. The facilities were clean when I was there and I dont know the curcumstances with the last review but I was able to stay in an "R" site just fine. The campground only had like 4 other guests though that night. I would love to go back to this campground next summer when their open again it was really great and you could walk to Flaming gorge!

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time While I was here I am tesed the Ledlenser MT10 flashlight.

When I first received this flashlight looking at it only being 5" long I though great another silly wannabe flashlight. Except it had a warning label on it to not shine it into peoples eyes. Hmmm Maybe this lil guy might pack a punch I thought. I turned it on during the day and though wow it is kinda bright. . . but the real test came when dark fell! I was astonished at how BRIGHT this light was; it blew any other flashlight or headlamp I've ever owned outta the water! If you pull the head of it u can focus it or make it wide beam its a simple press button on and off. If you press the botton twice or three in succession it gives you a dimmer light each time you push it. It claims to be 1000 lumens and I believe it! It is charged with a plug in charger and is pretty speedy at being charged; the power button turns green when it is fully charged. My only complain is the carrying case that comes with it has to be used without the belt clip you can put on the back of the flashlight. Otherwise its to tight of fit and if your hiking with it in the case it pushes the power button because of the tightness and you'll run your battery dead, without even knowing it. I'd like to see the case fit along with the clip so that you can protect the flashlight without having to remove the belt clip. Please see pictures for brightness inside my tent and outside. FYI we had friends about 200 yards away from us that could see the beam through the trees where they were camped.

Awful Management

Went to Mustang Ridge campground at Flaming Gorge UT from 07/09/17 to 07/11/17. Upon arriving noticed that the sites with the "R" designation could be reserved online. We attempted to reserve an open site by going to the webpage shown at the camp ground. We found out that reservation must be made 2 days in advance so we tried to talk to campground manager "Kenny". Kenny said we couldn't use the site because it must me done online. We explained the online booking issue and showed him that the site was open until 07/12/17. Kenny then said that he wasn't familiar with the website (posted at the campground) that we were using and we couldn't stay at the unreserved site. He did find us one next to the bathroom, the site smelled like sewage. Another guest offered the use of a site that she reserved because she wasn't going to use it. She contacted Kenny and cleared this with him. After we set up 2 tents and unloaded our gear, Kenny showed up and told us that we would have to move because we couldn't stay at a site with an "R" designation. We explained to him that the site was already paid for and walked him over to the lady that let us use it. He then became upset and said that this wasn't allowed because it was stealing. That's when I became upset and the conversation became heated. I explained that I did not appreciate being called a thief and I didn't like the way he was hounding us. Kenny even threatened to call his manager, which I welcomed because Kenny was being intentionally obtuse and not listing to reason. Once he saw that we would not back down, he backed off and even took back his statement about us stealing. I would also like to note that the male restrooms had poop all over both toilets for the entire stay. Maybe Kenny should worry about the upkeep and not hassle guests so much.

Interesting

This was a neat little campground. The lake was nice and peaceful and at the time(may) we were there it was nearly empty.

Starvation reservoir

Sense a little girl this reservoir has been our family's favorite. Cliff diving, rock carving , craw dad hunting, large fish catching, waverunner breaking, rock climbing to name a few!

awesome fishing

Had a great time. The fishing was good. We even saw a badger.