Thurmond , NORTH CAROLINA

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Thurmond Camping Reviews
Million dollar view!

This campground is full of gorgeous trees and a gorgeous view of Pilot Mountain. We arrived after dark and found it way too hard to navigate through the trees. We called the owner and he took us to a pull through site, which we greatly appreciated after traveling all day. Definitely book those spots if you have a big RV. In the morning we were greeted by the owners dog who was such a welcomed addition, our kids loved her. The dirt road to get to the sites and close trees were hard for us to navigate with such a big rig but that was partly because it was dark.

Beauty in the mountains

Lovely hike with the most beautiful views of both wildlife and the mountain scenery

Tucked away by a creek

Great spot, very well kept and plenty of space. Two nearby campgrounds were closed for the season so we were lucky to come across this one. Loved having the sound of the river right next to our site.

Beautiful Campground

Beautiful location, 20 mins from Pilot Mountain, 5 minutes from Mt Airy. The staff was very friendly and truly cared to make sure your stay was going to be a good one. This was my first time ever camping in a fifth wheel, and I felt very comfortable throughout my stay. My RV neighbors were great and very courteous. I’m planning on another trip to this campground on the near future.

nice and quiet

This was a nice, quiet campground. The sites were spread out from each other and were private. The bathrooms were clean. The camp host directed us to where we could buy firewood. The wood was dry and seasoned, and the gentleman gave us some sites to check out. Definitely will come back again.

Excellent location

The location next to the reservoir is awesome. Rode the bike trails and loved it. Did some kayaking too. The actual campsites can be a bit tricky to park but overall great time

Great Family tent camping

Took a last minute trip with the family and we were not disappointed. I grew up camping but my wife has never been. I knew I would have to pick a spot that would change her opinion about camping. On our way home she was already looking for camping arrangements for next season.

We stayed at Camp 5 which was gravel and came in handy when it rained, no muddy mess packing up. I believe all the tent grounds had gravel. The fire pit had a great grate for cooking in our cast iron pans and the picnic table was a huge plus. Bathrooms were clean and the Host were extremely friendly and can answer all of your questions from the campground to local things to do.

Things I wish I had- more twine/rope to hang rain fly (trees are far apart). Bring firewood from the local grocery store, Food City, in Chilhowie. An axe to cut some of that wood into smaller pieces. I had it but remember to bring cash to pay for your stay. I’m not sure if they take cards, we arrived at 9pm and had to fill out an envelope and place in a drop box. Also, at the time of this review, the gates absolutely close at 10pm to 7am. Make sure you are in/out of the gates in time.

Great campground for seasoned campers and even better for beginners.

Awesome find!

We were just looking for a place to stay the night in our Subaru. This was the place we landed on and we could not have been happier with our choice. Our site was plenty private. And we heard the creek all night. The bathrooms were super clean. We would definitely stay here again. We have AT&T and had service.

Wagoneer site 50 in late Oct

This campground was really well maintained and clean. They had all the COVID protection in place for everyones safety. The camp host was friendly and very helpful. We were on site 50 which is closest to parking. No water view but more secluded then most sites. This site does get great sun in the afternoon. Sites 46, 45 and 41 where my favorites with water views (46 coming in 1st). The bathrooms and showers were well kept and clean. The hikes around the campgrounds were great.
They do have wagons/Wheel barrels to help haul your supplies to your tent.
We definitely want to come back for longer and canoe in and out of sites.

Beautiful, Quiet Campground

This was our first stay in VA and we couldn't have been happier with our choice of campground!! The sites are actually dispersed (unlike some campgrounds that claim to be, but aren't) and you have privacy. They are pet friendly for campers/RV's!! We stayed in site 44 and LOVED it!! Close enough to the bathrooms that we just used those and showered in there as well! The only thing we would have changed was the fire pit. We wish it would've been bigger, but it got the job done.