Fort Lamar , GEORGIA

Most Recent Fort Lamar Camping Reviews
Very beautiful campground

I camped here with a friend and the dogs. The road is a steep grade up to the campground. There are several overlooks on the way. The campsites have a firepit, picnic bench - and table, and a lantern pole. Some of the sites were not very private and more open without shade. We were in number 15 and it was in our opinion the best one. Trees and bushes on 3 sides. The bathroom was very clean and well maintained. The campground has a little trading post at the entrance. Unfortunately it was closed on the weekend. You could still pick up firewood. It was walking distance to several hiking trails. Due to a lot of rain, we spent our Saturday downtown Clayton, which is just about 10 minutes from the campground and definitely worth a visit. We would camp here anytime again.

Great fun!

My family of four stayed here for 3 nights and loved it, even though it rained a little. There is the Stumphouse tunnel and a waterfall nearby that are a lot of fun too. My daughter enjoyed paddleboats and mini golf. The prices were great for activities. We would love to come here again.

Yo-nah

First off the hospitality here is next level, the staff here goes above and beyond, from check in, through the end of your stay.. this was our first camping trip.. the campground itself is very well taken care of, all sites have 30/50 electrical, water and sewer, cell service was great, nice pool, game/tv room, office was well stocked from firewood,rv supplies,propane fill station.. they had hay rides for anyone interested, s’mores at the fire pit, bean bag toss, horseshoes, nice playground for the kids. Sites were really tight gravel pads, with a fire ring.. Helen is a couple mile ride. It was a fun time

Very crowded weekends, great weekdays

Have waited six months into our RV life to start reviews for fair comparisons. Spent 7 nights. The weekend nights were so crowded with cars spilling into the camp roads, loads of large groups at each site. Felt very claustrophobic. On weekdays the park became a(lovely) ghost town. Very hilly within the campground but wide roads. Deer walking through the site. Good water views and hiking. Mountain biking a few miles down the road.

Great County Park

We stayed for 10 days with our 37 ft travel trailer. There's only 3 sites that could realistically handle this size or larger. No sewer hook ups, but thats not an issue for us. The rangers kept the bathhouse immaculate. They take such great care of the whole park! If we get back out this way, we will definitely be back!

Family friendly, well maintained

My family stayed at South Cove on a Friday night. We were impressed with the large number of pull through sites and the cleanliness of the campground. We arrived late in the day and the camp hosts were friendly and quick to assist with checking in. There are several large play areas in walking distance. There appeared to be beautiful lake views from almost every site. We very much enjoyed our stay and plan to return for a longer visit.

Lovely camp site!

We stayed in Primitive #9. It was a short walk from the parking lot and the park provides wheelbarrows to help you move your stuff! This campsite and #8 were basically one site, so you'll get to know those neighbors, which for us was fine…a lovely family who went to bed early. The site is set in the trees and it was quiet at night, with owls and peepers singing a night chorus. Water, trash cans and a clean modern bathroon were at the parking lot. It was too cold yet to go swimming, but in the summer it would be a short walk to the beach.

A Remote Campground for Those Seeking Solitude

Giving a campground a rating solely based on amenities is unjust. Some people want all the amenities. Some want solitude. Based on what I want, I would give this campground at least four or five stars. However, it does not have drinking water, flushable toilets, electricity, wifi, sewer hookups, a swimming pool, or any of those other amenities. What it DOES have is solitude and a peaceful co-existence with nature. It is beside the Chatooga River and you can hear the peaceful sounds of water all night long.

The site I stayed at had a fire pit and a lantern hanger. A pit toilet and bear-proof trash receptacles were close by. Although there was some trash on the ground, there was not as much as I have seen at some other primitive camping areas. Maybe the reason is because you have to drive 2.3 miles down a curvy, bumpy, hilly forest road. You could probably drive an RV or pull a travel trailer to this campground, but it is not recommended. One thing that surprised me was that there were handicapped signs for access to the river, so I guess you could consider the campsites to be handicap accessible… maybe.

The campsite itself was level. There were other campsites that were also level, but with the rain, you will have to negotiate big puddles. The pit toilet is cleaned on a regular basis. I know this because there was a checklist on the door of the toilet.

I do recommend this campground because it is well maintained for a primitive area and it is peaceful.

Nice state park for hiking

We've stayed here a couple of times in 2021. Lots of construction going on right now as some of the loops get upgraded RV parking. The tent loop is great for those who want more privacy and are willing to trek their gear a short distance, but the park needs to address parking for the tent area. The best feature of the park are it's access to excellent hiking for all skill levels.

Nice place

I went with my family and they enjoyed it. Very nice and clean.