the dyrt
About Enota Mountain Retreat
Enota is the perfect mountain escape to spend time with your friends and family. Enota is a non-profit conservation facility committed to preserving our beautiful land with a number of accommodations including vacation rental cabins, full hook-up RV camping sites, pop-up and tent camping sites and a Retreat Center for conferences, groups, events and seminars. Enota is rated to be in the top 100 camping destinations in the country.
Drive In, Walk In, Hike In
Private
Enota Mountain Retreat is located in Georgia
Directions
From Atlanta: Take I-85 North to I-985 N/Lanier Pkwy towards Gainesville. Stay on 985 North for about 35-45 minutes until you get to the fourth traffic light. At the light make a left onto 384 towards Helen. Note: a guest mentioned a stop light was added, so it may the 5th light to turn onto 384. Road 384 will dead-end in to road 75. Make a right onto road 75 going north and going through the town of Helen. Once in Helen, stay north on 75 and go over the mountain. As you get to the bottom of the other side, you will cross a small stream and then see our road 180. Make a left on to 180, go 2.6 miles, and you will the see the Enota sign on the left. From Ashville, NC: Take I-40 West, Then I-23 South to Dillsboro. Stay on I-23 until just past Franklin, NC, Then take I-64 West. Stay on 64 about 20 minutes. Go past Shooting Creek, turn left onto Hwy 175/75 into Hiawassee, GA. Go through town, on the south end turn right on Hwy 17/75 towards Helen, GA. Go South about 6.2 miles. ( Watch for The Deer Lodge Restaurant on left as road narrows back to 2 lane.) Next road to the right is Hwy 180. Turn onto Hwy 180 and proceed for approximately 2.6 miles. Watch for signs and entrance to campground on the left. Alternate route: Leave Franklin, NC, on Hwy 441 South to Clayton, GA. Go west on Hwy 76 until you reach HWY 17/75 South towards Helen, GA. Go South about 6.2 miles. ( Watch for The Deer Lodge Restaurant on left as road narrows back to 2 lane.) Next road to the right is Hwy 180. Turn onto Hwy 180 and proceed for approximately 2.6 miles. Watch for signs and entrance to campground on the left. From Chattanooga, TN: Head north on I-75 to Hwy 64 East towards Murphy, NC. Proceed to Hwy 11 toward Blairsville, GA Go through the town square to Hwy 19/129 South. Turn left on Hwy 180. Go approximately 8-9 miles (you will pass Brasstown Bald Mountain). Enota's entrance is on the right. (If you pass Enota, you will end up at Hwy 75 in another 3 miles.)
6 Reviews of Enota Mountain Retreat
Dirty, Run Down, and witch of owner

I gave this a 1 star, if I could have given ZERO I would have. Gorgeous location that was dead as a doornail and no wonder considering it was poorly maintained and had horrible management. I booked this place because it had pretty creeks on site and we wanted to have a fishing activity but after check in we discovered you can’t fish onsite which is the stupidest thing and negates the one draw of the place. The owner nickel and dimes everyone to death, they want all of their money up front and have a zero refund policy. We paid an outrageous nightly fee of $55, no weekly discount, another “conservation” fee on top of that and NOT family friendly. Only allowed two children per site otherwise more charges, and although we only had one child we were charged $10 a day EXTRA because he was a high schooler over 15 and she considered him an adult who needed to pay a daily fee. What a bunch of BS! The bathrooms had no heat and half the light bulbs were out then halfway through a shower the rest of the lights go out because they are on a timer. Two days into our trip the showers and toilets were completely shut down (and never repaired), and the laundry facilities were never functioning; they were broken, rusted out and the most disgusting I have ever seen, after opening the door I would not even step into the room. The men’s bathroom had a literal one inch layer of mold in the soap dispenser bag. They bunkhouse for hikers had doors falling off and the insides were in shambles and overrun with critters. We talked to an older couple who had just checked into a cabin for two nights. The cabin was so dirty the wife had to clean everything before they unpacked and would not touch the tub. They were going to forfeit their money and leave. A tent camper (who is charged almost the same as an RV) came in late, no one at the office, poorly marked lots so they were wondering around on the dark and then they discovered the bathhouse was shut down and they couldn’t even use the toilets. No one had informed them of this but of course it didn’t matter because they do not give refunds! This place is a non-profit who gets tax breaks and grant money, hard to see how they are non-profit with all of the price gauging and they obviously are not putting any money into maintenance.

Beware

This is a beautiful area, but I’m sure that there are many campgrounds in the area that are as if not even more beautiful. The manager and owner of the campground are very aggressive and have a tendency to make the experience very unpleasant. Also the farm and none of the campground is organic, the owner is not a certified farm and did not even know what organic or non gmo was. Also the cabins have mold on the wood ceilings and wood work. I will definitely pass on this one for our next trip. Also please go to the Cherokee Heritagr website and the county assessors web page and you will learn that this land is not in trust nor was it even Cherokee land. This is a sham playing in Native American heritage and while living. Also there is no restaurant, the laundry room and bathroom/showers were closed down, the store was a joke, we went to buy milk and they sold us rice milk that we later learned had already been opened and was out of date. The place is very run down and not up kept for the cost. The site fee is also 55 a night and 5 extra for each pet per night.

Quiet camp

Only complaint was bathhouse not clean

Love the adult only camping section on the creek

We had a primitive tent site right on the flowing creek and at a small waterfall. It was so peaceful. This section is adults only which was quiet. The campground offers a lot of kid activities in another part of the campground including a petting zoo and in-ground trampolines. This campground is along the Appalachian Trail and you can hike to see beautiful waterfalls. There is a great camp store and the staff is friendly. The bathrooms come in handy with a primitive site, but they are far away from those sites. There’s an outhouse only near the adult campsites. The campsites are small, so you get to know your neighbors. The RV sites are right on top of each other too.

Quiet Retreat

My favorite thing about this place is that there is no cell service (I have Verizon so it may be different for others). It was so peaceful and it seemed like a great place to bring kids. I was camping with my parents in their small camper. The spot we were in was really close to the store and had a nice deck with a picnic table. I’m a runner so I also really enjoyed the trails close by, which eventually connect to the Appalachian trail. Bathrooms were nice and did the job. I feel like it was pretty quiet, even with a lot of families with kids around.

Nice spot but charged for everything

Read on the website everything you are charged for! You MUST buy firewood there, and it's wet and doesn't lite, it's about 5 pieces for $5. You are charged to bring your pet. Charged for more than 1 car. Charged for more than 2 adults and 2 kids. Everything. Other than being charged for everything- campsites are nice. I didn't stay in a cabin, but they don't look nice. Nice separate area just for camping families. Electric campsites with water, and RV sites are on a small creek. The bath houses are clean and updated with hot water. Property grounds is nicely kept and has beautiful waterfalls you can hike too. The garden and petting zoo are very small. The "fishing" is in a tiny pond and you MUST pay for everything you catch, even if you throw it back. Overall, there are other camping spots in the area that are just as nice and would be cheaper.