The best DRIVE IN camping near
Whelen Springs , ARKANSAS

Most Recent Whelen Springs Camping Reviews
Shakedown cruise for my Basecamp

First trip with my new Airstream and couldn’t be happier. Came to this KOA to test the new camper out for a few days before wandering deeper into the wilds. Kinda want to stay. Very cozy and feels like you’re in the woods. Clean and fairly quiet; the highway doesn’t sound as close as you’d think and we barely noticed any road sounds.

Will certainly be returning.

Amazing camping!

Kid friendly. Great upkeep and sites that are easily accessible. Playground, splash pad, and pool. We were not able to access the pool because of the time of year, but we will definitely be back in warmer weather. Staff super friendly. Not one complaint.

Solid

Not the most stunning campground ever, however, I loved it! It was a great set up, plenty of bathrooms (no showers tho), set in a beautiful gorge with a beautiful creek. If you’re lucky enough you can get a site right next to the creek! Only around 40 sites total - they’re all RV compatible. I’m a tent camper personally. You’re right at a trailhead that connects with a vast network of trails taking you deeper into the mountains or directly to the actual hot springs, bath houses, and the historic area. If you want to drive to those places it’s a 7 minute drive.
Only a few cons. Not every campsite has a fit ring, there’s a heavily used road right by the campground thats on a hill so there’s some unfortunate revved engine noise pretty regularly, and there’s only about 10-15 campsites by the river.
I look forward to going back soon!

Great lake and beautiful campground

This was officially the first campground we stayed at after we bought out Uhaul CT-13. It was perfect for our first camping adventure.  It had great views of the lake from most of the campsites. The only thing I would say we had an issue with was the fact that there wasn't a lot of space between each camping spot. Other than that, the park was great.

Quiet By The River

Stayed here for a night in August 2020. I can’t remember what site we stayed in but each campsite is reserved on a “first come, first served” basis. You can get there and pick an available site at 11Am and must reserve it in the campground office. The camp hosts are very nice! Bathrooms are cleaned and nicely spaced but no showers. Our campsite had plenty of room for both of our tents and 2 hammocks for daytime naps:) Cell reception with Verizon wasn’t an issue. We did have a difficult time finding fire wood as no store nearby sold any. Camp hosts didn’t have any either so come prepared. There are picnic tables, a grill, and fire rings at each site. Even though we had picked a campsite closer to a bathroom, we still ended up having to walk a bit to another since they periodically closed  rest areas for the day to clean. A little annoying when you don’t want to walk but I appreciate them taking all precautions during a pandemic. There’s trails nearby that take you to downtown Hot Springs so we didn’t have to drive. I’d definitely come back here. It was very relaxing!

Gorgeous Creek

I have always loved this campground. We used to come here when I was a kid and I love exploring in the creek. Hiking trails are accessible from the campground as well. There is heavy day use traffic and lots of road noise from the highway, but you are very close to all the main attractions. The drawback is that they don’t accept reservations and that makes it tough for me to come here because of how far the drive is with no guarantee. Water & Electric hook ups.

Nice park

It was a few years back that we stayed here. Just a park at that time. Lots of full timers.

Perfect for RVers

This is a great park for RVs and those who love them. Only a few places were issues with our 35 footer. Staff was extremely helpful and we enjoyed the park and trails.

Really peaceful and relaxing

I thought the natural appearance was nice, it was clean but rustic. I really liked the large and wide sites, made getting in and out very easy. Hiking trails and paths were nice, but if you want to see the waterfalls they are seasonal so check before you go ….

Campground is really nice and convenient to the crater. Very hot Diamond mining in the summer as there is very little to no shade in the crater. Nice swimming creek nearby.