the dyrt
New Melones Lake, ARKANSAS
Most Recent New Melones Lake Camping Reviews
Amazing state park!

One of the best lakes/ parks I’ve visited. I went to Arkansas to visit the Hot Springs National Park, and left wishing I had stayed longer in Ouachita rather than visit Hot Springs. Great camping site, enough space for two tents. Beautiful trails to hike and bike. The fishing was equally as good.

Rad spot

Loved this site, the creek is AWESOME and there's some great trails. Lots of other campsites in that area too. Definitely coming back

Beautiful!

Beautiful lake - crystal clear! RV sites are spacious with easy access to lake.

My second home

The camp is beautiful and quiet. Walnut Creek is always cold, the swimming is great! Most of the campsites are roomy, and the camp is well maintained. The trails in the area connect to the Ouachita National Scenic Trail, and the views are pretty impressive. 6 generations of my family have camped there.

It's OK for the money.

Need more TLC, needs repair the gravel roads, Cable TV doesn't work and wen you call the office the owner's give a sub story about it. After all the place is good for the money.

Perfect!

The camp hosts were awesome! Campground was peaceful and quiet! I will go back!

Great State Park

We have tent camper here multiple times, and has been our go to place for the past couple years! It has beautiful scenery, clean facilities, and the staff has been great. We just recently purchased a RV and can’t wait to come back!

Beautiful, relaxing park!

My husband, myself, our 10 year old son and another couple camped and 2 dogs in site #69. It was very nice site, we put up 2 tents. It is very close to the bathhouse, which is very clean. Right across from the campsite was a trail to the water, which was very convenient! We took our kayaks down and were able to swim in the water right there. I also highly recommend The Island Trail by the lodge and my son loved the snake talk and snake skin bookmark event. We had a wonderful weekend, the park was beautiful and everyone was friendly, we will be back for sure.

Sweet little get away

We were looking for something waterside. We found a nice little pad big enough for two tents. Had a grill and a table. Had bathrooms and electrical outlets. We had to climb down some rock stairs to get to the beach which was dirty. But the water was nice and cool. The raccoons were fully active getting into our snacks, so lock up your valuables or FOOD!

Great little CG

Nice CG with FH. Owners are great people.

Close to Oaklawn Horse Track.

Great campground in Hot Springs - lots of things nearby

Gulpha Gorge is a great campground. There are lots of good hiking trails in the Hot Springs National Park. While they do have nice restroom facilities, they do not have showers. The campsites are first come (not reservable). The sites could be a little better spaced apart, but it is still a nice campground. There are mountain biking trails and a disc golf course just up the road at Cedar Glades Park, which is nice.

Great campground

Lake Ouachita is a great place to camp. Many of the campsites have views of the lake and are spacious. They all have a fire ring, grill and picnic table. They also have family bathrooms that have a private shower/sink area. They have a few hiking trails as well.

Beautiful park with lots of things to do!

We went with our Cub Scout pack. DeGray loves scouts and scouting. They were able to accommodate almost 60 of us camping in the park and we hardly saw any other campers. The views are amazing and the Park Rangers are really knowledgeable and really love their park, which makes for a great experience for everyone.

The area is very clean and well maintained. There are good hiking trails that also give you good vistas along the way.

Awesome.

Great campground with activities and hiking trails

Beautiful lake campground

It was flooded when we went and dead but still incredible! Clean bathrooms and friendly DNR. The lake was really nice and good fishing! The scenery was great and lots of wildlife. Went crystal digging at Coleman which was also unbelievable. Will definitely go back when half the US is underwater!

Beautiful. Close to the Hot Springs, and not crowded.

I would reccomend this place to anyone who wants to just get away from the fast paced world we live in. Try it out and get away from the real world for a couple days!

Peaceful campground with great mountain biking trails.

We stayed here with another friend to explore the mountain bike trails. We didn't have water at our campsite, but we did have electric, and there were common areas with water spigots throughout the campground. Showers and facilities were nice. From our campsite, we could walk down a steep hill to the shore of the lake and sit in our camp chairs and fish. We also rented a kayak and kayaked out to a little island on the lake for lunch. We made a short drive over to DeGray Lake where they have a disc golf course. Wish they had full hook-ups now that we have a camper, but this is a really great campground.

Beautiful campground!

This is our second favorite State Park in Arkansas. We had a spot overlooking the lake, which was beautiful. It's a super quiet and peaceful lake. Lots of kayaks and canoes. We also enjoyed the hiking trails. The walk-in tent site area is amazing! There was a nice beach area for swimming as well. We rode our bikes over to the loop D tent camping area, which also looked nice and quiet for camping. We will definitely be going back here again!

Clean and pristine

This is one of the cleanest campgrounds I have visited. It has shower facilities with hot running water that are handicap accessible. The grounds themselves have always been litter free. Each of the designated camp sites come with electric for rv hookups. This campsite has a lake access with a swimming area and a Sandy Beach. There is also plenty of room for fishing and boating. This has been a yearly visit for me and my daughter.

Better RV

We did have a great time with the camp grounds! The lake was beautiful and very natural. However if you like roughing it and being close to the water, you better have an RV of some sort or you'll miss the good spots. The tent areas were in a disk golf field. No really ideal for your dogs if you are in a tent. they really like RV owners better. But the all in all very nice, swimming pool, hot showers, and electric. Let's not forget the zipline that's also there but extra. Loads of natural trails! Have fun in ARKANSAS

Lake view/ bring your boat

I want to start by saying how nice the staff was. There was a nice lady at the check in desk that helped us find a site before the busy labor day weekend. We had a wonderful conversation about our travels and since she had to help cars driving by she greeted everyone cheerfully even while helping us.

This park offers all amenities. The facilities were well kept and the campsites were very nice. There is RV and tent camping available. This area is good for day use as well as there is a swimming and picnic area. What I found so neat, is that there is the ability to park boats right on the lake near your campsite. you literally walk down a hill to your boat once you load it in. It is right on the Ouchita lake, so there is plenty of room for all water sports.

Beautiful tent friendly park

We tent camped here in August, 2018 and in spite of the rain we had a beautiful experience. The tent sites are a small walk from the parking lot, and the parks provide a baggage cart on wheels to bring your stuff down. The site was on a small peninsula on the lake with trails to walk down to the lake, or even set up chairs. The staff was friendly, bathrooms clean and nice. We rented a kayak for a couple of hours and it was very peaceful (cheap too!). We hiked the 4 mile hike and misjudged our time, so hiked some in darkness, but it was a nice easy hike.

Nice State Park

The grounds and campsites are fairly spaced and well cared for. Yurts are also available and have more privacy than the ones I’ve seen at other parks like Lake Catherine. For activities, there are plenty to choose from, like swimming or boating in the lake, horseback riding, golf, etc. There is a restaurant and playground nearby at the lodge.

Not too enticing

The tents-only loops are not bad although the bathrooms are small. One loop for tents is on the water. Apart from that, the campground needs improvement. RV sites are much too close together and many of the parking pads and picnic tables are haphazardly placed. This COE campground seems to mostly be used by those with a boat to launch. DeGray Lake State Park down the road is better built and cared for, in terms of camping appeal.

Corps camping on Lake DeGray

Smaller than its neighbor Caddo, and with a swim beach. The sites vary in length and width, as well as desirability. The concrete ones generally seem nicer than the asphalt ones. The campsites at nearby DeGray Lake Resort State Park are much more built out with wooden edging around large pads, whereas at the COE campgrounds you get a simpler setup of table, pole, and parking. If State Park isn’t full I would choose it instead.

Great fishing and hiking trails!

The fishing at Degrey is superb, I have been coming to DeGrey since I was a little girl and I am 48 yrs old now.

DeGrey is magical and a great family and pet friendly State Park.

Perfect for Basic camping

Been camping here since I was 3 and love it every time. Campground has 4 loops. Loop A, B and D have mostly water and electricity hook up. Loop C has nothing but is my favorite because of its proximity to available camping near the creek. All campsites in the campground that were located on the creek have been removed because of the flood in Albert Pike many years ago. Each loop has a bath house with flushing toilets and showers.

Sadly the lake is not really swimming appropriate anymore because they do not clean it. Something to do with some protected species of minnow or something. But it is beautiful. Camp host is extremely friendly and always willing to help and answer questions.

Overall campground is simple and quiet but one of my favorite places to spend my time.

Small City Run

Like many City operated sites this is more of a recreational day use facility with the after thought of revenue from travelers. I checked into this and prices are very fair at only $15 but they do not have tent facilities. They offer 200 30 amp hook ups and 20 full service, it is a shame with that with that much space they don’t encourage tents.

The grounds themselves were pretty nice, looks like they probably host fairs and other events there which explains the connections, perhaps during those events it is expanded for non-rv usage.

I was noticing that this is one of the closest camps to Washington Historic Site State Park, which is an amazing site. So if you have an RV and want to check out this or the Clinton birthplace I’d give it a shot.

Hiking to views, history, and BBQ

This campground is small, and being a National Park campground it is pricey. Its sites are also first-come-first-served campsites. But, if you come at the right time of year (when it's not too hot out) the hiking is terrific. From the campground, you can cross the creek and hike up the hill to an awesome lookout, stop at the top of the hill and visit the tower (for a fee, but it is worthwhile both for the view as well as reading the plaquards to learn the history of the area). Then continue hiking over the hill and down the other side to Hot Springs Bathhouse Row, where you can fill your bottle/jug with piping hot spring water. The Promenade and Bathhouse Row are the best part of Hot Springs to explore, including the National Park museum bathhouse. Back at the campground, you can take a short hike in a different direction through the woods to end up at a little BBQ restaurant. And finally, drive or hike to the trail called "Balanced Rock". It too is a worthwhile hike if you reach the namesake boulder balanced upon another boulder.

Well Maintained And Perfect For Tent Camping

I checked this site out after finding some of the awesome lake activities offered at Lake Greeson. As a Army Corp of Engineers site it is very well put together (as are many of the sites in this area). This is one of the more improved sites however and as you enter that is apparent from the moment you pass the camp host and entry station.

Many Corp sites I have found, while nice have not had the level of professionalism as you enter and it made me instantly feel like I would be safe at the location.

Views from the campground are awesome and vast! Sites have camp rings, lantern holders and picnic tables. There is a mixture of RV and tent sites with primitive and electrical hook ups available which is a really great option.

On the week day I visited there were lots of spaces available so during the non-peak season I would say you wouldn’t need to call in advance during the week.

Great overall experience here!!

Tips:

• Check our the marina just 1/2 mike away!!