The best BOAT IN camping near
Caligoa , ARKANSAS

Most Recent Caligoa Camping Reviews
Airport side review

We had spot 5 and 6. The area is quiet and nice it’s right next to a little airport that no one really uses. The water is on the wrong side on the site so bring a extra hose.

4 Star Now - Soon to be 5

Not sure what the backstory of this campground was, but Josh took over in April and you can tell he has put a lot of work into fixing it up.

We stayed in a cabin. We don’t stay in many cabins - usually in an RTT - so I can’t compare what is typical. The weather was wet and windy and we were in the middle of travel days - so we needed a warm, dry, no fuss place to stay. So for us it was just fine. Plus, Josh was great getting us in last minute.

I think the cabins are well suited for a fish camp type stay, but if you are traveling with someone who will be bothered by beat up appliances and bare bones bathroom, this won’t be to their liking.

Next time I stay we will opt for the campsites, which look to be level and better spaced than a lot of campgrounds. Shade varies from spot to spot, with some lacking any.

I’ll also make sure I have a MO fishing license, because I’d love to cast a line here. For people bringing a boat, there is a boat ramp and marina docks and fuel.

Josh seems to take a lot of pride in the place and given more time, I am sure this campground will continue to get even better.

The Mark Twain Forest is a great setting, too, but our dawn departure pictures didn’t really turn out.

Lots of green space and large trees!

My husband and I stayed a night in one of their cabins on our way home from TX.  We let Josh know when we were getting close because it was much later than we had planned.  He had a bonfire waiting for us right outside our cabin!  The cabin was great!  Anything we needed was supplied.  And the birds nesting across the lake were an added bonus! We will be going back for sure.

Quiet, dark, clean, well-kept with easy water access & big campsites.

The Holliday Landing is your fishing paradise, crappie & catfish everywhere on this side of the lake.

They have a marina & gas on the dock, which was helpful and larger spaces than we normally have. They offer firewood, ice & bait and have monthly rates for campgrounds which is hard to find.

Clean, friendly and always the right choice

I love this campground! Josh and Karl are the most friendly hosts. They’ll go out of their way to make sure your stay is wonderful. The cabins are clean, the  marina is well-ran, and the updates to the camp are definitely noticeable. 10/10 will stay here again!

Enjoyed so much we’ve visited more than once

The first time my former partner and I came to Sam Baker was during 4th of July and it was pretty busy but laid back. The accommodations were excellent such as the campground shop and cafe. We stayed in our very large tent, folks were really friendly even though it was mid COVID-19. They regularly cleaned and sanitized all the bathrooms regularly on schedule. We really enjoyed our first stay of roughly a couple nights so much we scheduled to return later that fall. We found out they also had boat/canoe access along the lake and we finally got around to that before it got too cold. Actually enjoyed some more of the snack/meals at the cafe and of course bought whatever we felt necessary at their shop. We really appreciated all the great vibes and welcoming folks. Was sure a good time hope to come back a third and more often then not enjoy our stay!

Clean and nice

My family camps at Sam A Baker every year. It is clean and everyone there is friendly. They have a nice gift shop and some great places to swim.

Gorgeous in the Fall

My group and I camped in two of the basic sites in Asher Creek campground and we couldn’t get enough of the front-row lake view! The sites closest to the lake are very level, and everyone in the campground is only a short walk from the cleanest park restrooms I’ve ever seen. If you’re like me and are just doing basic tent camping, I’d recommend a pop-up canopy for the table area since there is not a lot of tree cover in those sites. Overall, an excellent place to camp!

The campground was laid out well in the fact that you didn’t feel crowded at all, even when there were lots of campers. We were in site 45 with a 33 ft travel trailer and had plenty of room. Nice walk for our dog and grassy areas also. Showers were clean but nowhere to put toiletries except on the dressing area bench… but that was okay. It was all tiled also. Mosquitoes were the big downfall. Just be prepared. We put up a screen tent as well as having bug spray. Ate at Boyettes too and it was really good.

Such a unique lake and amazing birds.

We camp here a lot and have tried several spots in the South campground.  The ones near the lake have views but don't have water access.  There is also a pavilion near the lake.

Sites 22, 24, 25, 70 backup to the forest and have lots of room to set up tents, however they are the first to flood and stay wet longer.

The map is pretty good about and shows pictures of the sites.  At the time of this review the bathrooms between sites 64 & 66 were closed.  The bathrooms and showers near site 23 are bigger and more accessible.  The bathrooms and showers near site 4 do have a ramp but it is uneven, the space inside is much smaller and would be difficult to navigate with a wheelchair.

Site 43 has trees on both sides of the pad and, based on comments from another camper, can be difficult to back in a larger camper.

Sites in the mid and upper 40's are also good for tent camping.  The cypress trees in the area send roots up and the ground can be lumpy because of them.  The campground has lots of gopher holes all over.  The mosquitoes are bad and you should take some strong bug spray.

The campgrounds does have drainage issues when it rains and if your forecast predicts rain, you might want to put your tent up on the pad.

They opened a small gift shop this year.  The sell worms, and they now rent canoes and kayaks.  There is a boat launch near the entrance, but you can't launch anything too wide.

This campground is due for a makeover and I heard that it is in the works.

If you love bird watching or photography this place is a dream; osprey, eagles, herons, egrets, and so many others are everywhere.  Pelican's stop here on their migration and I recommend the pontoon tour in October during the festival if you want to see them on the water.