Altheimer, ARKANSAS
Most Recent Altheimer Camping Reviews
Gorgoeus park with fun activities

We visited Cane Creek over Memorial Day weekend. The sites were level. We did have several fire ant hills that we had to deal with and quite a few red wasps. We were able to watch numerous birds (pileated woodpeckers) and even saw a swamp rat swimming in the lake (resembles a beaver with a skinny tail). There are water and electricity hookups with a bathroom close by. We rode bikes so it didn’t take long to get the the restroom. You can rent kayaks for very reasonable. Do it! The water trail is unlike any I have seen. Don’t miss out on the hiking trails, but watch out for ticks!

Our first camping trip was a great success. We camped 2.5 days at Cane Creek State Park in Star City, Arkansas.

Our Review: The camp sites were very nice, all had either 30 amp or 50 amp electric hook ups and water. The electricity was super convenient with having the space heater in the tent. Most of the sites have nice views of the water too! It was a little too cold to fish but from what we’ve gathered from the visitor’s center they have some decent fishing and lots of other activities! Cane Creek offers several options like fishing, boating, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, biking, etc. There was a boat dock specific for campers closer to the campsites. We were very pleased with the bath house which was really clean and fairly central to all campsites. We will definitely be back when it warms up to test out the fishing!

It is no more !!! We drove by it June 14, 2019 at 2pm and it is currently being Bull Dozed over...

It is Leveled as of June 14, 2019 at 2pm… Don't know what is going in there…

Not meant for big rigs.

Sites are poor, at best. Concrete is broken and gravel is used to fix problem. Gravel was new and not packed…almost got my rig stuck. Electric hook up was okay…water and sewer were in need of repair.

Cane Creek

We are from Star City so we have visited the park often but finally decided to camp there and it was so nice. The campgrounds are nice and the visitors center offers fun activities for the kids.

A quiet and pleasant place

I grew up in Star City and have been to this park many times. It is not a breathtaking place, but it accurately portrays the nature of south Arkansas. I have seen ducks, deer armadillos and eagles live here as well. The playgrounds are good. The pavilions are clean and the AC works well. Halloween brings thousands of visitors each fall. The campsites all decorate for the holiday and everyone wants to see it!

Great Quiet Place to Stay

We stayed here with our dog and the place was super friendly. It felt like being in the forest. It had many trees that provided a lot of shade. It’s secluded but just minutes away from everything you could need. The park is clean and quiet and was very very enjoyable.

City views!

Great parking with easy access to Little Rock by walking across the bridge. Bathhouse isn’t very good so plan on showering in your RV. Good pavilion space for hosting events.

Better by the River

Get a site by the River on the east side of the park. Bathhouses clean. Crowded on Holidays since close to the City.

Clean and convenient to downtown Little Rock but nothing fancy

We stayed there for a couple of nights. Lots of pull through and back in sites, some are long enough you can put two rigs in (and they're are hookups for two as well!)

It's nothing fancy but you can take a walking bridge across the river directly into downtown Little Rock.

Totally decent place in little rock

Just passing through, but was a nice campground. Looked like it was well taken care of. Barely talked to the staff. Late checkin and early depart for me. Cable and wifi worked.

Maumelle Park

Nice park located on the Arkansss River with river access and lots of campsites. Sites are level with water and electricity and picnic tables and fire rings. Restrooms and showers.

Beautiful campground

This campground is beautiful, well maintained and has clean facilities for showering and restrooms. There are several dump stations which are convenient and maneuvering into your space is very easy. Each site has a picnic table, fire pit and grill. The Rangers were very helpful and provided all the information we needed for a wonderful weekend.

Great if you want to be by a lake but not too close to the water.

Easy to get into most spaces, flat long, asphalt RV sites. Quiet. Dock is just down the hill from the RV spaces.

Army Corp park

Small Park but has a brand new shower house

On the Arkansas River, it’s a clean and beautiful park. Rv spots on all on the rivers edge. Plenty of room. Price for rv camping was very good.

Clean and shady

There is plenty of shady spots on a first come first serve basis

Just okay campground

We stayed here to try out our new camper without going too far from home. It's not the most beautiful campground, but it's nice enough. Some of the sites have full hook up and others don't. There is not way I'm aware of to make online reservations, but you can call or stop in. There is a disc golf course and mountain bike trails in the Burns Park as well as a golf course and several other activities. The staff was nice and the facilities were clean.

Nice campground near Pinnacle Mountain

Maumelle Park is a nice campground located on the Arkansas River. They have some water front sites and several in wooded areas. The campsites are a little close together and there aren't as many trees as we typically like for privacy and hanging hammocks, but it is a nice park. They have several day use areas, a few playgrounds, and basketball courts. We stayed at site B23, which was just okay. The restroom facilities are nice. They had 2 dump stations. They do not have designated tent pads, but do have a fire ring and picnic table at each site. The campground is very close to riding trails and Pinnacle Mountain which is a fun area to hike.

Moments From Historic Pine Bluff

Just on the opposite side of the highway from historic Pine Bluff and within the same area as their Nature and Conservation area this reasonably priced camp is pretty nice with water front views.

The only downside no tents!! It really is ashes because the views here are some of the best I found in Pine Bluff of the river.

This is a Good Sam campground and thus meets a certain type of amenities. Had they accepted tents it would have been a much higher rating (probably a 4)

Fresh Water, Dump Station and 20 amp hook ups available.

Fire Ants!!

Stopped off hoping to stay here when traveling out to the Louisiana Purchase State Park (which does not offer camping because it is a swamp area) this is the closest campsite in the area so I was very hopeful.

Arrived and began to survey the site which is pretty basic only to realize it has a severe ant Infestation!! There is no way as a tent camper I could have stayed here because of this.

The camp itself is pretty basic with gravel pull ins and few amenities. It is a city operated site (that is who you pay).

So unfortunate that I had to find a place further away to stay instead of being able to enjoy this one. Still very worth the trip here perhaps if you have a contained unit as it is closer to the state park than any other.

No Tents & High Prices

I had just been combing through some of the back roads of Arkansas and was looking for a good place to relax for the night and found this site. Nearly $40 and it not only did not accept tents but it also seemed to be pretty basic for even an RV. I wouldn't ever stay here for that cost considering what I saw. Small, limited amenities and nothing really of significance.

Overnight Stay

Good for an overnight stay. Access from I 30 was easy enough from West/South bound Lane. Only 12-14 Pull throughs. Seems to be all used for overnighters. All are long enough to park w/o unhooking the tows.

Convenient location but not ideal for tent campers

Located within a 20-minute drive of most Little Rock homes, and just about five minutes from Pinnacle Mountain and Two Rivers Park, this campground is conveniently located for local recreation. The campsites along the Maumelle River have a pretty view, but tend to be already held down by RVs like ducks in a row. There are some nice sites on the other side of the road, even if they offer little in the way of privacy. If you might make use of the large field for a ball game or kite flying, for instance, you could choose one of the sites that back up to it. Among the downsides, you can't escape urban markers like fencing, lights, and noises at this campground (there is a marina close by). However, you can get outside, enjoy a fire and some fresh air, with easy access back to the grocery store or restaurants as needed.

Ultimately didn’t stay here

This is 100% an RV Park next to I-30. I didn’t see any showers, so for $37.50/night it was too steep for me.

beautiful scenery on the Arkansas River!

site B27 loop B looking at the map, you wouldn't think the view to be so great, but the map is decieving. We had a spectacular view of passing boaters, jet skiers, and the occasional towboat with barges. Pinnacle Mountain was the back drop for many pics. The park is well maintained, very clean, and we saw the park attendant many times, making rounds, and answering questions. Each site has a fire/grill pit, picnic table, and a gravel area beside the camper pad, i guess so you don't step out into a mud hole after a rain. its a nice touch! The showers were centrally located to B loop, but each Loop has its own set of showers, and a small playground. There are day use picnic tables along the rivers edge, and many large group shelters you can rent, for events. There is a dirt Bball court we never did see. The boat launch is nice, and we did some night fishing from there, as we don't have a boat. it was very quiet-3 days and I never once heard blaring music or TV's or loud hootin' and hollerin'. :) My son must have ridden his bike 20 miles, just exploring. all in all, it was nice. but since you can't swim in the Arkansas river, a pool or splash pad would have been perfect!

Wonderful spot on the Arkansas River

This really is a very nice place to camp! It is well maintained and operated and is in a great location being near Little Rock. Caters well to the big RV'ers. Well shaded and several sites right near the water's edge. Though it doesn't affect the rating in my book, I would mention I experienced there were many seeming to stay long term and a couple asked when I'd be leaving so they could 'claim' my riverfront spot. No biggie I guess but it might make it harder for some to just show up and find the prime spots available. Overall still a great camp!

2 Many Bugs

We visited this park twice. The first time it was great. The second time it was unbearable because a hurricane had blown in trillions of "love bugs". Our visit was during the bugs' mating season. The bugs were so thick that you could not even go outside your camper without getting a mouth full, nose full, eyes full, and ears full of these bugs. It was like a plague! The air was black with the bugs. We were unable to do any outside activities because of the mass numbers of the bugs. This campground has water and electric on the sites. It has a dump station too. They have one rent a camp that is very nice. If the bugs are gone, I would recommend this campground. They have very nice fishing docks and boat docks. The water is only visible from 2 of the campsites. There is lots of shade. It is very enjoyable when the bugs are not present.

Clean and quiet!

Carolyn is a a great host and set us up with a spacious primitive spot. The surrounding park is gorgeous and the amenities are very, very clean. Loved our night here!

Happy camping!

If you are out and about Little Rock camp Maumelle is a great place to camp right on the river and easy to get to . Almost all the camp sites are in the shade and with the breeze off the water it's a nice place to relax . We had to be in Little Rock are doctors appointments for a week so it was nice to find this place close .Better than driving 80 miles one way everyday. The park attendants were very nice and would come by just to check if you needed anything . The showers and restrooms were clean. We had squirrels and geese and there babies visit . Watched people fishing from the bank and seen lots of big boats . They are lots of things to do in Little Rock like Two Rivers Bridge , River walk , Zoo. We would go back here anytime!