The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Haivana Nakya , ARIZONA

Most Recent Haivana Nakya Camping Reviews
The Quintessential BLM Campground

Date of Stay: 1/20/21 Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek w/ tow-behind popup

I was a bit wary of this campground due to lack of reviews, but after an unsuccessful attempt to camp at another campground close to Saguaro NP East, we decided to give this site a go - and I’m SO glad we did. This is the perfect BLM campground - very dispersed, quiet, and FREE!

We arrived on a Wednesday afternoon with only about two other groups there. Directions from the Dyrt are perfectly accurate, but the turn is a bit tricky to see, as it is a narrow dirt road surrounded by brush. You can actually turn left or right when prompted by directions, but we went right and drove about ¾ of a mile down (you’ll see a sign addressed to campers so you’ll know you’re in the right place). Road is mostly very flat but does have the occasional bump/washout, and there is no shortage of rocks. Had no problem in my vehicle w/ trailer.

I honestly don’t know how many “campsites” are here, as they seem to be scattered pretty randomly around. There are little side roads that branch off the main road as well, we went down one of those and found a quaint little spot with camper-made fire pit that isn’t visible to the main road. Because of this, I would highly recommend arriving to this spot during the day, as we would have never found our great spot had it been dark.

As for the spot itself, it isn’t the prettiest because it’s mostly desert brush and dirt, but the Saguaros most definitely make up for it. Our specific campsite is marked by a towering, twenty-foot high Saguaro that I love waking up to every morning. There is little to no shade, but during the winter, the sun is very welcome. As for wildlife, we’ve seen several coyotes and roadrunners but not much else, at least during the day.

Location of this site is optimal - about five minutes from a local mart with all essentials, and ten from a Speedway and Dollar General. About 35 minutes from Saguaro West/Mountain Park and the same into central Tucson. Overall, I highly recommend this site for any avid BLM camper who is accustomed to no amenities. This may be my favorite BLM site I’ve ever camped.

Beautiful Saguaros!

Relatively easy access from main road for most any vehicle, just take it slow and watch for ruts, especially after a rain.

There are many cool places to pull off and camp, but stay on established open spaces, we saw little baby things trying to grow all over the place so don’t squash them. We arrived on a Wednesday, and it was peaceful and quiet and serene until that Friday, when a group of guffawing dude-bros took up camp across the road from us. Voices carry here, especially this type of voice. The ranger drove down Pipeline Rd in a truck to check on things several times, something I always appreciate.

You can hear road noise the closer you are to the main road (W Avra Valley Rd), especially trucks driving to and from the quarry, which can sound like thunder. Beautiful landscape, saguaros everywhere, beautiful sunrise and sunset, very peaceful despite the truck noise. If we had a rig that could make it in further we would have camped further away from the road to minimize the noise. Pretty regular traffic going in and out on Pipeline Rd, campers and ATVers.

Free range cattle also in the area.

Good verizon and AT&T service.

Great State Park

Just outside of Tucson but worlds away. Clean, quiet, well run.

Lots of choices for dispersed

Great place, if you don't mind occasional helicopters and A10 Warthogs in the distance. Lots of places to choose from for RV and tent camping. The road is a little rough but definitely done in a passenger car. Nights are beautiful.

unspoiled Sonoran Desert

Stayed one night while traveling. So glad we stopped. Beautiful views of Picacho Peak and the ancient cactus trees. Nice flat trails walking thru the desert, gentle breeze and surreal sunset colors. We had our skamper so able to hook up to watch the game see pic. We were surprised to learn about the civil war history that took place. I had no idea.

Neat place

This camp ground is nice, the camp sites are set up uniquely with rock boundaries. The hiking was very cool. The weird thing is that at night when the air got cooler, the highway noise and trains got way LOUDER. You didn't notice the highway or trains during the day, could barely hear any of it, but as soon as it got dark…. WOW, was it noisy. I'm glad I went there but I don't need to do it again.

Picache Peak State Park

April 20-23, 2019. Park very clean. Site had electric but no water. There was water at the dump station. High speed internet is available for a charge. Verizon 4G5 bars. Very hot.

Great get away - Close to Biosphere 2

We had planned to go to Biosphere 2 so this was our landing spot for a couple of days.  They have a lot of nice hiking trails, the spaces were nicely spaced and the weather was perfect (December).   We took the pups out for long walks and enjoyed the gorgeous AZ sunsets!!  We have come back a few times just for the hikes.

Peace and quiet

First I have to mention the bathrooms, the showers are incredible. There are tent pads or set up your camper or RV. Electric and water at every site.  The view is incredible no matter where you are camped.  Hiking trails and picnic sites all over. Enjoy the relaxing atmosphere.

Beautiful desert sunsets!

This is a beautiful place to camp most of the year. The Summer sun ☀️ can be brutal of course. I love to stop here on my way to New Mexico. There is something about being in the middle of the desert with the backdrop of the mountains and cactus 🌵 that just helps you breath a little better. Watching the sunset each night is breathtaking. This campground is just off the road but far enough back that you don’t hear all the road noise. Each spot has a picnic table with awning so you have some protection from the sun. Each spot has a fire pit and smaller rocks that make a nice “bed” for your tent ⛺️. The spots are pretty far apart so you don’t feel like you’re right next to your neighbor.

The campground has a total of 85 electric sites for both tent and RV camping. Sites are suitable for RVs and/or tents. You can have up to 4 cars on each site. There are 4 sites that are handicapped-accessible. Unfortunately there aren’t any water or sewer hookups available. There is a dump station available. Access to all sites is paved. Sites are fairly level and are located in a natural Sonoran Desert setting.

$30 per night / per vehicle (October – May) $25 per night / per vehicle (June – September) Additional vehicle $15 per night / per vehicle Group Camp Areas: $15 per night / per vehicle + Group Reservation FeeBoth back-ins and pull-throughs are available. No maximum size limit (except no tractor-trailers allowed).