About Brandywine Recreation Area

Located on the 10-acre Brandywine Lake, this wooded recreation area affords access to multiple hiking and mountain biking trails, a swimming beach, and a campground with an onsite host.

National Forest
No Firewood Available
RVs and Trailers
Brandywine Recreation Area is located in West Virginia
-79.1997 W
Directions
From Harrisonburg, VA: Take Route 33 West, 26 miles into West Virginia. The recreation area is 4.2 miles West of the Virginia-West Virginia state line and about 2 miles East of the town of Brandywine, WV.
3 Reviews of Brandywine Recreation Area
Remote but still close to civilization

Fairly level, though its at the base of a mountain. Just over the mountain from Virginia. No cell phone service. Nice lake to play at and a couple nice hiking trails right off the campground.

great camp

This campground is mostly level, so bike riding for kids is great, walking to the lake or shower houses is very easy for those who have trouble with hills. The lake has a small but clean beach. There is no phone service. Cellphones will not work. You need to drive 10 minutes to local stores to call for help. There are a couple stores very close by and a local pizza place (excellent by the way) I did not see any place that you could purchase firewood.

The highlight of our eclipse trip

I can't express how much I loved this place. Situated in the beautiful George Washington national forest, you'll be hard pressed to find a cheaper, nicer site. When we went, it was $16 a night, and that's a steal where I'm from. My husband, dog and I stayed for two nights, and got the best sleep of our lives, since it was so dark and beautiful here. You'll be hard pressed to find a darker sky on the east coast. The bath house was nice and clean, and the sites were nice and accommodating.

I would definitely recommend this place, and plan on coming back in the future.