Ardmore, TENNESSEE
Most Recent Ardmore Camping Reviews
Quiet Park

Got a great site back up to the lake with full hookup. Only advice I have is make sure which campground you are in.They have two one at the main entrance another one is around 4 miles from that main entrance,

Great location after a fun short hike

Primitive site with access to running water and short hike to falls with pool to take a dip in in the early spring and fall.

Great place

This is one of our go to campgrounds when we want a long weekend. This park has so much to offer. Hiking, fishing, boating, bike riding & swimming. There is not a morning that I don’t wake up to deer or turkey on the border of our campsite. A very family friendly atmosphere & always clean. When our kids were younger it was their favorite place bc there was not shortage of kids they could connect with. There are 2 campgrounds to choose from. The lower campground is on the creek while the upper campground sits in the woods. Both are great & have recently been upgraded so the sites are level. Sorry I don’t have pics but I’ll be sure to take plenty the next time we go.

Nice Mountainside Area

I went hiking here back in December and thoroughly enjoyed it. The ground's store is a cute little place with pretty much anything you could need, including beer, refrigerated items, snacks, stickers and T-shirts. The Japanese Garden was a little tacky, but kind of had its own cute feel to it. There's a cool clearing where you can stand on a ledge and view down the mountainside or take a group photo. The hiking trail down the mountain is so stinking sweet. We saw bugs, rabbits, deer, and so many other plants and other aspects of nature. Definitely worth a trip!

Gorgeous Views

Monte Sano has great, easy hiking trails with beautiful views of the Tan valley. The Japanese garden is not to be missed.

Beautiful but crowded

Joe Wheeler campground is beautiful but when we went in early June it was packed with RVs, and most of the campsites around us had multiple vehicles/people at each site. The day use lake beach is wonderful. There were several places to launch a kayak, and the views on the river are hard to beat in the area. I don’t think I’ll camp there again, but I would definitely kayak or go to the lake beach on a day trip.

Fun place to hike

Very beautiful campground and lots of places to hike. The only drawback for me was no fishing but we still had a great time hiking and looking around!

So Green!

Stayed one night at Backcountry Site 1, and had the whole place to myself. Really manageable (and pretty) hike for an amateur camper like me with a bad back. Once I set up, I explored the river which was very nearby, and then did a little hiking. Lots of shade and from what I could tell, the facilities were really nice. Best part was definitely all the greenery on the river trail.

Favorite place is Alabama

I first visited Monte Sano SP about a year ago, and it’s been one of my absolute favorite places in Alabama since. As a female I LOVE the staff and feel safe camping and hiking the trails throughout the park solo and with my dogs. Their are so many trails to choose from but the best part about the park, in my opinion is the fact the campsites in the primitive area are typically separated greatly by trees, so you get more a feeling of privacy. If I continue to type, it’ll turn into a book, but take my word for it, if you love nature, privacy and scenic views, Monte Sano is your place in Alabama.

Camp by the water

We are in a 35’ 5th Wheel. Most sites easy access, some sites maybe tight for bigger Rigs.
Some sites have Full Hook-up, 50 amp. (Sewer not available on water sites.). This campground is family friendly. Great for kayaking, fishing, swimming, and family gathering.

Camp by the Lake!

You can camp by the water at Tim’s Ford Lake. Some sites have full hook up’s up to 50 amp. Sewer hook up is not available at the water sites. We enjoy this campground. Great for kayaking and fishing. Family friendly.
35’ Fifth Wheel was a breeze at most sites, a couple sites may be tight.

Great family campground

Campground is on the Tennessee River/ Lake Guntersville and has swim area and boat ramp. Great sites.

Nice Campground

Nice place to camp. Only stayed one night because storms were in the forecast but would definitely go back.

Winter Camping

Enjoyable stay. The campground is well maintained with plenty of shade at the sites. The bathrooms are nice and warm in the winter and clean.

Terrible

Stayed overnight in July and there was just 1 toilet working! When it rains just a bit, the campground is a mess. I expect mud but this was awful. Way too much water lying around to be able to setup a tent. Fortunately, they had a couple spots that were a bit higher up so not as wet and muddy. Too expensive for what you get. Staff was ok, not overly friendly or helpful but certainly not rude.

Excellent hiking opportunities; close to Huntsville

To get to this park, you drive right through Huntsville neighborhoods. We made our reservations earlier in the week but had a different site each night because the park was going to be full.

In my opinion, all the sites are nice because the campground is in the woods. And you can pitch a tent far from the road in the separate primitive area.

On Saturday night, I couldn't believe the number of TVs outside the RVs. I guess this is an inexpensive way to experience an Alabama football game outside. :) Sites were crowded with lots of people; one site had about 8 cars along the road during the game. Fortunately people were in a good mood because Alabama was never in danger of losing.

Alabama's Campground Taxes Are HIGH

Our sites with water and electricity were $26/night although a senior discount was applied for Thursday night. (No discounts on weekends.) We paid a one-time fee of $5 and the total cost was $93.55. Taxes are almost 20%.

Amenities

• There are only 2 restrooms/showerhouses which seems a bit on the low side for this campground. They're clean enough but the staff should check them more often on a full weekend in the fall. By Saturday evening, there were no paper towels and the toilet paper was gone from all except one stall. And it was still like that on Sunday morning at 9.

• Standard amenities include a fire ring and picnic table at each site, dump station, and trash dumpsters out front.

• Sites (except primitive sites in the tent area) have power and water. There are also some sites with sewer hookup.

Hiking

The number of hiking trails is what made this park appeal to us. You can pick up an excellent map at the park office.

Other

• There's a disc golf course and a Japanese garden.

• Primitive sites were full so we didn't ask if a teardrop trailer could be taken back there. The road to those sites is a bit bumpy but we could have easily fit on those sites. A call to the park would be worth it if you're interested.

Nice campground with nice hiking trails

When I called Saturday morning to check on availability for that evening, I was told only primitive sites were available which would have been ok for a one night stay but upon arrival, we were told you had to pitch a tent for the primitive sites (we don’t have a tent and sleep in our van). However, a number of improved sites had opened up so we were in luck. All sites are gravel and appear to be fairly level and ours was likely the most level we’ve been in for awhile. Picnic table and fire ring at each site. Many families with young children (fun to watch them ride their bikes around the loop). Bathhouse was clean and I appreciated the HOT water! Coin laundry. The North Alabama Japanese garden is a nice short walk and there are a variety of hiking trails (I would recommend the Stone Cut Trail for a moderately challenging hike).

Nice little park

David Crockett State Park is near Lawrenceburg, Tn. Not huge but very outdoor enthusiast friendly.

2 campgrounds to choose from, #1 is the older if the two and has several sites that sit next to the water. Unfortunately these sites have limited camping area. It really depends on what you like within easy access. The other sites in #1 are a little larger. #2 sites have more room and shade and a newer showerhouse. When we visited there were only a few other campers and it was very peaceful and relaxing. Full hookup but no sewer on sites. The temperature at night has started dropping to cool enough and no bugs but not teeth chattering cold. My favorite type of camping weather. The fire is an enjoyable location after dark with a lite blanket in your lap and warm beverage nearby.

There are many sites to see but nothing spectacular. I say this because it means the tourists are not tramping through the area with trash and noise in their wake. To me this park had a more , I guess, homey atmosphere, if that makes sense. The staff had decorated the area in pumpkins and spider webs and the fall colors had just started changing the forest greens into a blanket of warm colors. There is a museum with water wheel on its side that has injured and recooperating wildlife housed next to it. There are trails to explore, fishing and other water sports. You could easily spend a week here just meandering through outdoor activities and sitting in a hammock chilling.

ok

this place was very beautiful but the staff was not very helpful for us.

My Favorite place to camp

Easy hike in , Down hill the entire way

Hard hike out, DUH ! Up hill the entire way…

Beautiful view at the bottom, remote camp site, Hike in only, plenty of places to hang a hammock, water available, bring a filter…

Nice hiking/biking trails

We stayed at campground 1. The sites are tiny and a bit unkept and offer little to no shade. The bath house was clean and updated. The nature reserve had some really cool birds and the waterfall area was pretty to see. While I’m glad we visited this park, we probably will not return. Just so many other prettier options in the area.

Great place

My husband stayed here for a few months while we were trying to sell our house. Beautiful views, wildlife are fun to watch, hiking and biking trails, play areas for kids. Definitely recommend. It is a little pricey compared to some places.

Nice

Doesn't have much to offer but it's a nice peaceful place. Right off the TN River, boat access, fishing, swimming and a couple of trails to walk. Small cafe down the road. My husband stayed here for a few months before we sold our house and moved.

Boaters Paradise

We visited this area to fly fish the Ell River which is close. The campground is on Tim’s Ford Lake which is Great Lake for boating. Spacious concrete sites with good WiFi.

A good place for RV camping

This state park is not my favorite, mostly due to the area- it's just not that pretty! However it is a state park, meaning it's got all the usual amenities and will do the job. It's always quiet and it's easy to get to if you're in the middle TN area.

One of the nicest state parks in TN

This is a place that I grew up camping with my family, and spent countless days on our pontoon boat or kayaks on Tim's Ford Lake. It's a lovely, quiet campground with a great nature center, hiking trails, playgrounds, a pool, and lake access for boating and swimming.

First time camping

staff was friendly, neighbors where nice, and park was very relaxing

Awesome natural amphitheater

We had a great time. We got there on a Sunday and pretty much had the place to ourselves. Though on Monday we had a lot of company. We camped at the bottom of the canyon below the amphitheater. In September the water level was low and the waterfalls were not flowing. But there is a spring that runs out of a cave on a cliff to the left of the amphitheater, so water is not an issue. I think hammock camping is best for this location. The ground is very rocky. So, unless you want to camp at the beginning of the trail, finding a place to pitch a tent is difficult.

The trail is full of swithbacks. There are tree markers on the trail to mark the turns but at times they are easy to lose. There are also some random trees marked that are not on the trail. So watch out for that. The hike out is much tougher than the way in, so pack light.

The place is also littered with crawfish so if you are into that kind of thing it is possible to catch your dinner.

Adventure for any RVer or Camper. Very nice campsites, hiking, biking !

Monte Sano State Park is located near Huntsville in northeast Alabama. In Spanish, Monte Sano means “Mountain of Health.” In the late 1800s, visitors from across the United States came for “the season” to experience and enjoy Monte Sano’s fresh air, spectacular views and mineral springs. Fourteen rustic cabins, 11 of which were built by the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC), are perched on the side of the mountain and are equipped with kitchens, fireplaces, separate showers and baths, cable television, outdoor grills, picnic tables, and porches for taking in the amazing sunrises.

The park also features 89 improved campsites, a primitive campground and a camp store.

Good place

We enjoyed the lake and the people. The facilities needed some attention but other than that everything was good!