Enterprise , OKLAHOMA

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Enterprise Camping Reviews
Good Port in a Storm

During the extreme winter weather in Oklahoma in February 2021, I ducked into the KOA Lake Eufaula to wait out the storm. While the office was closed, Lindsay was available by phone to answer all my questions and James, a resident caretaker was also on hand.  The campground offers all expected amenities, wifi, power, clean and warm bathrooms with shower, a dishwashing station and playground and public outdoor sitting area. They also provide propane fills. Bless James for pumping the propane for me in that extreme cold.

Due to the storm, the camp store was closed and water hookup was not available.  The area was not plowed but I was loaned a shovel to clear the area around my campervan and the path to the bathroom.

I get the sense this is a popular place in good weather located near a large recreational lake. Unfortunately, I was hunkered down and in a bit of a panic about the weather, it was -3 degrees during my 24-hour stay, so I did not get out to see it or enjoy what the area has to offer. Overall my impression of the place was a good one.  Note, it is located directly behind I-40, trucks can be seen and heard from the camping area.

Clean and quiet

Nice clean and quite camp ground. Our stay was right at the beginning of pandemic before they closed early 2020. Was passing through and going to stay the weekend. Had to leave early due to state mandate to close, no issues with host or refund for early departure.

Campgrounds Vary

We booked a Deep Ford campsite online but were disappointed when we arrived. The sites were really close together with almost no privacy. There were a lot of people parked in the campground lot for fishing during the day, so it felt pretty cramped. Luckily, you can change your reservation online. We drove around to all of the different tent sections and found a much better option at Eagles Nest. It was wooded and the sites were more spread out. It had a stone fire ring, a table, a grill, and a lantern pole. There are no bathrooms nearby, but there are several throughout the park that are just a quick drive away if you really need them.

If you're looking for less crowded spots, it seemed like Eagles Nest and Lake Wayne Wallace were the best options.

Great outting

Nice amenities. Clean bathroom. Well maintained trails. I look forward to coming back to rock climb. Great for a weekend away or a family day trip. In warmer weather we definitely would have went kayaking. The most exciting thing for us was to explore with minimal research of the area. It felt like a treasure hunt!

To my understanding you do need to park to pay.

One night stay

We stayed here for just one night in Shady Grove area on the top of the hill. Sites were tight and we were clearly placed in a bigger pull through site that was split in two sites. We arrived later in the evening and people in other half of site had already taken over forcing us the back into site pad up a steep incline in the dark under a tree. We made it, but not easy. For distanced dispersed camping, look elsewhere.

Clean and deserted in winter

I arrived after dark on December 27th. I had made a reservation (and paid the $15) through their website. When I got to the park, I followed signs for Paradise Cove and reached the camping area. I never found my exact campsite (#27) but it was completely empty so I took a different one and left a note in my windshield. The phone number on the confirm email forwards after hours to the lodge, and the person was very nice when I called but couldn’t help me.

It was a bit confusing once I got there and was trying to find my site, I went online again and found another website that said paradise cove camping was closed, but the guy on the phone said the online reservations are kept up to date.

Paradise cove is right by the bridge over the lake and I could hear and see traffic. Each site is numbered on the picnic table (hard to see, especially in the dark) and the bathrooms were closed. I never found the water taps.

In the morning, I was right on the lake, with lots of birds! It was beautiful despite the traffic. I would stay again but pick a different campground in the park.

Almost perfect!

The weather was prime for a December campout. It was a tad windy, but the campsite offered a nice spot with a round table, grill, and rock ringed fire pit. Large tree surrounded campsites were all perfect for roof top tenting. We booked site 40, but couldnt find 39 or 40 so we stayed at 35. Kindling was plentiful (firewood available at the park office $5 a bundle). Short hike down to the water. There was a "beach" on the south end near the amphitheater and nature center. Once the sun went down we noticed a massive Christmas lighting display up near the RV portion. This made the trip! The restroo. Was open near our site. HEATED!. Loved the entire experience. I will return!

Not accessible

There is one road in to this camping area. It’s blocked off by cement barricades so you can’t access it. Should have turned around when I heard the banjos. 0 stars.

Winter Serenity

Very pretty campground, clean and relatively quiet this time of year. A very few campers here the week of Christmas 2020. Firewood available at the camp host site. Very nice lake views. Birdwatching is pretty good. Check out Spiro Mounds and Heavener Runestone, less than an hour's drive from Wister Lake.

Nice Campground but pricey

In order to camp here you’ll have to reserve a spot online. This was very easy to do and they show you a picture of the individual campsite online. It’s $33 for a night with a camper/trailer/rv. It may be cheaper to just reserve a tent spot.

We stayed here for one night in our Rooftop Tent. We enjoyed our stay, there are level cement slabs with full hookups. Also every site had a fireplace, a grill and a little table/bench set. We stayed at the lakeside/lakeview loop and had a nice view of Lake Eufaula.

The bathrooms were clean enough, they’re a bit outdated, so I’m sure they’ll never look super duper clean. It was fine though. BUT: non of the women’s bathroom stalls was lockable. (One lock was broken and the other stall’s door couldn’t be closed because the toilet paper dispenser was in the way… I’m sure this is gonna be something they’ll fix before the main season starts again, though) The one shower stall with the best shower head also wasn’t lockable. Showers were warm (water & the room itself).

The campground itself was pretty quiet but about every hour or so we heard a train horn. Which was loud and excessive. Like not one short „choooooo“ but more like a „choooo chooo chooochoochoooo“ for more than 10-15s, all throughout the night.

Overall we had a good time though!