Comanche , OKLAHOMA

26 Reviews

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Comanche Camping Reviews
Great place

Had a great time here with my son. Place was a bit flooded and off season, but we had a blast adventuring on the trails and in the water. Great time!

Locals Gem of Oklahoma

Absolutely wonderful camping and hiking!! Lots of camping spots - and most were well distanced for plenty of privacy. Due to COVID all spots require pre-registration online and only self contained vehicles are permitted (all bathrooms are closed). There is no service in the park, but about 2 bars next to the Visitor’s center (which is also closed), so be sure to reserve a spot before you get close to the park. Some sites are dry and some have electric hookups. No water available due to an ongoing E. Coli issue. The camp host was really nice and stopped by both nights we were there. There were lots of hikes and we are looking forward to coming back for an extended stay. For hiking, we loved 40 foot hole (nice waterfall) and Little Baldy for sunset. Wish we had been here a couple weeks earlier because I bet the trees would have been at peak fall foliage color. We saw long horns and bison several times, but unfortunately didn’t see any prairie dogs. We heard this park is mostly used by locals (~80 miles from Oklahoma City), and not many long distance travelers hear about it. Also heard there are great mountain biking trails.

I don’t like crowds

I agree with the others. It’s trashed and it is PACKED. The tent sites are a little too close together for my liking. Like on top of each other. I think your best bet would be to stay on the outer edge sites and not in the middle for sure. I’d also reserve online bc they are always full. I’ve heard of people being turned away that just show up to camp. It is EXPENSIVE also. You have to pay for your campsite and then also pay a fee per person. Tent camping is only $12.50 but then add on $16 per adult and $9 per child….. it’s ridiculous. There’s a lot of other places I would rather stay that are way less crowded and way cheaper. I’d suggest staying elsewhere and stopping in for the day if you want to go. ALSO you have to have a coast guard approved life jacket for everyone under the age of 12! So keep that in mind. Pets are not allowed at the falls either.

Mountains in Oklahoma??

This is an awesome place to visit for the day or weekend! It’s only about 3 hours from the Dallas area and is very scenic. Lots of wildlife and fun trails to hike! The campground fills up quick so get there early.

Way colder than I expected

I camped here in November and was not at all prepared for how cold it was at night. We arrived after dark and set up and went to sleep right away. The sites are pretty spread out but there were no restrooms, only porta pottys.

Like camping at a water park, without the slides

Completely primitive. There are showers and flushing toilets available, but for the most part you're accessing portables. The previous review regarding rules, or a lack thereof, is relatively accurate. It would be a fun place to spend a couple days if you were lucky enough to pick days the park isn't very crowded. It is quite a shame the level of preservation and care allotted to the environment. People couldn't be bothered to properly dispose of their waste, female hygiene products were in the water at the falls, soiled diapers stuffed into bushes, and waste was everywhere except in the bathrooms which were surprisingly clean. This place is definitely for the "party" camper.

DO NOT GO HERE!

Overall horrible, just horrible. To begin with, we were overcharged and had to deal with a rude employee. This place has no rules, guidelines, structure or organization. It's trashy, overcrowded and very unsafe! Did I mention how horrible this place is?!? I do NOT recommend this place at all! The only good reviews on here mention how beautiful the place is, which is true, but still not worth it with the staff and attitude they have and most importantly how UNSAFE it is. Spend your money elsewhere, anywhere but here.

Memorial Day weekend

Busy as can be lots of people. If you like to camp and be secluded this isn’t the park. There are a couple great spots but the go fast. We got here on Wednesday and most of the secluded spots were taken. I’m guessing for the anticipation of the holiday weekend. I ended up grabbing the same spot as last time the only thing different was we had the boys with us 🤗

I’m gonna be honest I like the feeling of people driving by and hearing the comments on my campsite set up. It’s very pleasing. But I do prefer seclusion with covid-19 going on.

Seen some deer after we got rained out and spent a whole day in the tent with the family.

Good winter camping & fishing but pricey

This place is overflowing in the summer. Filled to capacity with a mile long line sometimes. I don’t recommend it unless you love crowds.

However, this is a nice destination for a weekend winter camping trip. Lots of hiking, great scenery, and my favorite part, they stock the creek with trout!

It’s $15+tax to fish 12.50 to tent camp $6 entry fee if not fishing. I went in on a Friday night, camped Friday and Saturday, left on sunday, fished on Saturday and it’s was $55-ish.

While you are in the area try the fried pies at Arbuckle Mountain Fried Pies (coconut cream) and the best bbq you’ve ever eaten at Smokin Joe’s (smoked hot wings are my favorite.

Pros: Beatiful scenery, several trails, caves, an old concrete castle to climb.

Cons: cost, litter, facilities aren’t great, can’t cut trees for firewood

Good place for day trip

Good place for day trip. Try to visit on weekday if possible, the weekend draws crowds which take away from the scenery and positive experience.