Bokchito , OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Bokchito Camping Reviews
Beautiful place in Southern OK

Beautiful river in the hills of Southern Oklahoma.This is a public fishing and hunting area and not a state park , therefore it is much more primitive.  For the most part campers are responsible for cleaning up after themselves, many of whom refuse to do so. There were a lot of toilet paper piles and dirty diapers in the woods surrounding the campsites. The area was also packed full of people with Texas tags.  The area gets more pristine the further you get from the campsites and parking areas. There is a catch and release trophy section at the upper reaches of the river. Be sure to have the proper outdoors license for your activity as the area is heavily patrolled and enforced. Be aware of the barbless hook areas. The river mostly consists of clear water flowing over a series of rock ledges with long clear pools in between. It is not ideal for floating as you will have to portage every quarter mile or so. The facilities consist of a few pit toilets that are not regularly cleaned. Outside of the camping and parking areas there is no vehicle access.

Beautiful place

Our camping site was 022 On Armadilla Hill

Nice spot for the night

Nice spot for the night It’s located on the right side of the dam fishing must be good we didn’t go fishing ourselves but tons of people have been fishing all night does not have full hook up 30 amp water no sewer dispose $ 22.00 A night can’t beat that check out is at 4 PM

Bonus is you reserve through their website posted at the gate gate does not close it remains open we checked in and reserve our spot at 8pm last minute

351 Corps Rd Denison, TX 75020 United States

Private balconies overlooking the lake

I had never heard of McGee Creek State park but had a blast here last weekend! We stayed right on the water at Potapo Landing. Definitely the nicest campsite I’ve seen. Aside from electricity, water, picnic table, fire pit and grill, each site also had their own deck! We got lucky as our site was not directly next to other campers, however most sites were pretty close together. It seemed like many of the RVs that were parked were there permanently (or at least for a very long time). Every now and then we’d catch a whiff of sewage smell but other than that it was very quiet and peaceful weekend.

2 issues

I stopped at beautiful lake in May of 2020 while on my bikepacking tour across Oklahoma. I stayed 2 nights in one of the Northwest sights. Hardly any people, but it was in the middle of the week. I stayed in a tent… the grounds were awesome and the full bathroom/showers were spotless. Very well kept However, I noticed within a few hours of setting up camp that roaches started invading my gear. By the end of my second night, I saw more than 10 roaches in various spots in and out of my gear. I even found one packed into one of my bike bags when I got home… dead, luckily. My other complaint is that the noise from neighbors was allowed to go on… only ended by them going to sleep around 2am. They have a noise ordnance clearly posted with a time limit… while the rangers drove through the park regularly, the noise ordinance was not enforced. The other parties besides me we’re all together as a large group, so if I complained, they would’ve known it was me, so I didn’t say anything. I probably should have just asked to be moved

Interesting and quiet

We stayed here for 2 weeks in September 2020. We had site 9, which is the same site we had when we were there last year. The site is short and narrow and kitty-corner to the sites to each side but it was gravel pad, level and had FHU with 30/50 amp. We had a view of the marina out our side window. The staff in the office that I dealt with was nice. They have a restaurant and bar, marina and airstrip. We did not visit the restaurant or bar nor did we use the bathrooms. I used the laundry room– 2 washers(1 broken) and 2 dryers. It was OK- could have been cleaner. Their WiFi was sketchy, there was no cable but 7 OTA channels were found. Verizon 4G service was 2-4 bars. It was very quiet except pm the weekends when there was a fair amount of plane noise on the airstrip. Best shopping is in Sherman about a half hour away.

Nice Getaway from Dallas!

One of my first and favorite state parks in Texas. Several nice hiking trails, fond memories of Daddy/Daughter camping trips, and a quick escape to a relaxing & restful place an hour north of Dallas!

Spooky campground with history.

A very neat place for people that are interested in civil war history. Boggy Depot Park received its name from Clear Boggy Creek and was originally used as a depot for the Chickasaw and Choctaw people as they arrived in Indian Territory during the removal.Then a Confederate commissary and outpost depot during the Civil War. In 1972, Boggy Depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It even has a cemetary in the campground. It spooks me out. This is whats remaining of a ghost town. It was part of the Butterfield Stage Route, and a lot of old history. Looking around the park you will see signs and information about the various events and reasons of importance for Boggy Depot throughout the early years of American history. It is remote in the country nestled in very old oak trees which makes it beautiful. It is very shady with over a hundred camping spots. There was only 2 other campers staying there. It is a great place for hunters too. It even has a check in station. It has a fishing lake, pretty nature trails, a baseball diamond, a basketball court, a great playground, picnic tables, group picnic shelters, charcoal grills, and comfort restrooms with showers. A big campground, with over 100 campsites. including RV and tent camping. It also has a cool little creek. It's about 15 from Atoka, Oklahoma. The park almost closed because of state funding but some of our Native American Tribes saved it and is now ran and operated by the Chickasaw Nation. This is like a hidden gem to me.

PHYSICAL ADDRESS

475 South Park Lane Atoka, Oklahoma 74525

PHONE NUMBER

Main Line: (580) 889-5625

My new favorite

This place is so beautiful and FREE! You must have a fishing or hunting license to camp here. Camping stops are spaced out very well. It is primitive camping. There is no electricity and there are some bathrooms but very few which doesn’t bother me bc I don’t use them anyways. It is very relaxing and was somewhat quiet other than the person 50 yards away allowing their kids to scream bloody murder for over an hour lol but other than that it was peaceful! Will be returning soon with my son to take him fishing. The water is so clear, you can see the fish in it.

Nice Little Place

Starting with just making the reservation. By far the easiest process for booking a site we have ever experienced. The website is well organized and very descriptive when explaining the amenities of each site. I also greatly appreciated the text messages letting us know when and how to check in. Its nice to know the expectations on arrival. It is a very small campground with the a majority of the sites well separated. There were a few clusters of close spaces, but as I mentioned above, the website made it clear as to what sites those were. The RV site itself(#36) was easy to back into with plenty of space for our outdoor set up. Fair warning, the water hookups are FAR from the site. Do not under estimate how far these things are. With 75ft of hose - we were barely reaching the nozzle. Again, we warned of this when making our reservation. Finally, the beaches. It was nice the only people who had access to the water were the people who had booked a site, this is because there is a gate into the campground you must have a code for. If there was another point of entry, we did not see it. The thing keeping this place from earning 5 stars, is the uncleanliness of said beaches. Pieces of metal, glass, and garbage were all over the place. Was not a place we could sit down and enjoy. I may have very well missed a cleaner stretch within this campground and just did not walk far enough to find, but what we did find was a bummer. Other than that, it was a great place and somewhere we would be happy to come back to.