The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Woodburn , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Woodburn Camping Reviews
Beautiful park, close campsites

Beautiful park with tons to do. Campsites in area 1 were a little close together. Each site has a picnic table, fire ring, and charcoal grill. Bathrooms and showers available close by. Reserve early because it seems the campground is always full. Like most parks/forests, you cannot bring your own fire wood.

Update needed

Barren River State Resort Park

Barren River State Resort Park is small but it offers a lot of options.

The campground is off by itself, quiet , with separate areas and pull through options. The campground is somewhat maintained and the sites are somewhat level. I like the back in sites with shade and a small patio to set up on. They have small asphalt pads so you will get your backing skills tested. The middle sites, (I was in site 45 top of the hill, pull thru) are on a hill which ends at the water with a boat ramp and small beach area. I huffed and puffed up and down the hill several times! There is a short trail near the boat ramp, more for fisher folk then a good hike. It ends at a small inlet. You have a strip of grass to your uphill side to use, otherwise not much privacy. The middle sites have pretty much no shade and we sweltered our middays , chasing the limited shade. The showers are newer, air conditioned and clean. Showers are spacious with seating and wall hooks. Luke warm water, which definitely makes for quick showers! A good way to enforce water conservation, lol.

If you are a biker you have some hills to climb in the park. There is a walk/bike trail around the golfing greens, with a dirt trail off the backside. The stable may still be closed. I did not check if they had started a new contract due to Covid restrictions. LOTS of boating options. Bring your own or rent. The lake is huge and busy with a marina. There’s a beach that you will want to drive to, to long of a walk and I didn’t find any cut through trails from our section of the campground.

Two cool events to check out are the Highland Games, ( men in skirts throwing things)and the Bourbonfest a newer event.

Local grocery w/i 10 miles, antiques, restaurants (Funky Paradise Point) and Mammoth Cave, Cave City attractions as well as an Amish Market in Scottsville and seasonal Farmers Market in Glasgow.

Great State Park close to our house

There are several nice playgrounds, ranger led activities, a nature center that my kids loved, a butterfly garden, several short hikes that are good for kids. There are several sinkholes and cedar glades. There are also some caves you can explore if you want to get muddy. We often go here for day visits, but the overnight amenities are also nice. They no longer have horse stables.

Nice spacious sites

Very clean, large, private sites. All of the sites have their own space. They are very well laid out. Small campground and easy for the kids to bike and play. The beach was closed for high water, but it looked like a nice area. Only a couple of minor complaints… people drive way too fast on the roads, quiet time not enforced or observed and no gate or anything to regulate traffic. We were at site 8, close to the front, and people were driving in and out all the time and it made me very worrisome with the kids. We also had a group next to us that were still “hanging out” at 2am. We didn’t complain about it, but nothing else seemed to be enforced aside for not parking on the grass. We aren’t complaining campers, but 2am is pushing the limits a little bit in my opinion. I also am giving some grace bc the whole place was full for the holiday weekend. We will go back, I just hope the speed limit will start to be enforced a little More and people are more considerate of the kiddos playing.

Tenting area is a bit close, but still quiet

We camped in tent site 15, which is the far back corner of a large rectangular tenting area. Each site had a table and fire ring, and shared water and trash were located in several central locations. Some sites are between two parking areas (sites 7-9, I think), and some sites are along the lake shore. While most people rate the lake shore sites highly, I think you'd get a lot of headlights flashing at you as they're right along the parking lane. We really liked the back corner for privacy, and relative proximity to the bathrooms (located in what looks like an office). Showers, firewood, ice, playground, and laundry are in the trailer campsite nearby.

One caveat is that, if fully booked with weekenders, I can imagine this place getting a bit noisy at night. It's also pretty hot, though very well shaded, in July.

Glamping

Tucked away on the backside of Mammoth Cave NF, Ky, you want to find this Horse Camp.

Not huge and not to small, you can easily bring a small group of friends here for a private horsing around retreat ( pun intended) Direct access to several horse trails in Mammoth Cave. Spend your day riding and then kick back at your site and relax. There is an area in the “back” to park your rig and set up your glamping area. Stalls if your horse likes it fancy. A nice camp store and friendly staff to assist you. We visited while in the area, my favorite thing is the out of the way location! (Check out their page for events too.)

All down hill

First Camp Dispersed tent sites are an enjoyable hike down into the First Creek ,creek bed of Green River in Mammoth Cave National Forest, Ky

If you go early enough in the season you will see some awesome rock formations. Once all the foliage fills in its not as picturesque .

Find Ollie Rd on the back side of Mammoth and take the gravel road straight at the hard right turn. First Creek can be hiked to from two different parking areas and it’s part of the Loop trail used by hikers and horseback riders alike. A map is very useful for distances and trail directions because the markers are not always where they are supposed to be. There is an beautiful pond/lake at the bottom of the hike that empties into the Green River. Realize of course water = snakes and take precautions. Two choices of tent sites. Both have a fire ring , lantern hook and tent pad. Firewood is all around :) tote in your water or filtration system and everything you need cause the hike back up that hill ain’t short! It gets DARK here! You should have some beautiful star gazing opportunities and some wildlife interactions. Once again take precautions with your food, it’s a long hike back up that hill! Bug spray! Enough said! Love this out of the way area but it can be quite spooky ;) Enjoy ;)

Peaceful and beautiful.

This was our first time camping with our camper and it was the perfect spot to go. We had a nice clean site,number 62. It had a fire pit, grill and picnic table. The site location was great for us because we had our 5 dogs with us and there was room at this site to let them out with ease and we were right next to a hiking trail for their walks. The campground staff (Connie) was wonderful! Overall a clean park with amenities. The only thing that was not ideal were how tight the roads were between campsites but it may have felt that way because we are new to hauling a camper.

Hidden gem

My wife and I camped here on February 15 2020. Super easy check in. We traveled in a 29' motorhome. We stayed in section 1, site 22. It was right beside the shower house. It was a pull through site, but it was a little tight. To my surprise I opened the electric pedestal, and there was only 50 amp service. I'm set up for 30 amp, so I had to use an adapter. Keep in mind, while making reservations, section 1 has very small, cramped together sites.
We took a walk around section 2, and section 3. There was a lot more room, and seemed a little more private. I would recommend them over section 1. Wood was available for purchase in small bundles for $6 each cash only. I was actually surprised by how many people were camping in February. I would suggest reserving your spot a bit in advance. We look forward to returning.