Matthews , GEORGIA

Most Recent Matthews Camping Reviews
Great Primitive sites!

My son and I went to the primitive sites and had a blast. The sites are really spread out and really clean. We were able to find plenty of firewood and used the fire rind and stand to cook our dinner. Would definitely go here again.

Quiet and spacious

Spent the afternoon here to hike and relax. The camp/RV sites are nice and spaced out. The bathrooms were sparkling! There’s a dump station as well as laundry and showers. I had 1-2 bars with Verizon LTE so I received texts but couldn’t really get online if needed.

I hiked a trail loop to the primitive camp sites since that’s my preferred way to camp so I could see if this was somewhere I’d like to come camp in the future. The trail was easy to follow and the campsites are so spaced out you really feel like You have the woods to yourself! Each spot had a fire ring and nice pad to set up your tent. There’s a boat dock so make sure you bring your canoes and kayaks to explore.

Spacious sites

A lot of the sites are on the waters edge and offers beautiful views. The red clay was horrible though, especially with a white dog and after it rained. We had site 145, beautiful views but difficult to maneuver into the site and access the water, but we made it work. We would return though. Site 144 and 143 had gorgeous views of the sunset…I’ve heard 108 and 77 are prime spots. Be aware of booking a site and how you’re awning will face! Bathhouse is about 1/2 mile away, so too far to walk when you have to go. Not many bathhouses either so there was a line for the shower (only 2 shower stalls and 3 toilets for at least 75 campsites with the tent sites included). Only 2 single access dump stations for the entire park, so there was a line of 8-10 campers at both on a Sunday morning!

Sites have great size

This is a beautiful place, with great sites, that have a good space between each other, this way you can have some privacy!

Serene and well spaced. Spotless comfort rooms. Clear

Arrived here for a three-night tent stay after Black Rock Mountain. You have to drive all the way in to reach the camp's office. At six, they were already closed, so had to check in the morning after. The comfort rooms appear brand new on the second week of October 2020. They were centrally located in the loop for RV/Tents. Spot #24 and #25 are drive-thru RV spots. #25 has a concrete slab and a concrete pathway to the comfort rooms (ADA). Great hosts this time. Wood bundles are $7 a piece. Verizon has one bar of LTE signal. T-Mobile has none (bummer). No camp-wide WiFi.

Always enjoyable

Nice campground. Good spots, beautiful location.

Great Camp Ground

Family always enjoys this campground! Beautiful spot, historic and the staff is wonderful.

Amazing experience

Went here with my husband and stayed an extra day. Very relaxing. Really super cool trail through the swamp. Nice bathrooms and showers. Had a very peaceful time here

Great lake front campground

Spent Fri-Sun (Aug 28-30) in site #55 on campground #1 loop.  We were on the west side of the loop and the last site directly on the water.  It is a back-in site and was wooded with a nice view.  We loved this spot, so much quieter than the rest of the loop.  This lake is all about boating so most of the sites are already packed in, then throw in most sites have a camper plus a boat on them and it can seem crowded.  From our site we could get in the water and use our SUP boards and swim around.  This spot is right between the bath house and dumpsters - about 2 min walk.  We would definately go back here and stay in the same area we were in.  There is a little beach and dock closer to the visitor center that was a 3/4 mile hike/walk each way (but we just swam at out site).

Would recommend Site #54, pull-through that will have you facing the lake and quiet.

What a great campground!

The spots were nice, large, most waterfront, with power and water. Definitely a spot I will go back to.