The best TENT SITES camping near
Sheridan Lake , COLORADO

Most Recent Sheridan Lake Camping Reviews
-1 stars

I wish I could give this place negative stars. 😑 First and foremost you cannot arrive after hours without a reservation and by creating an account. Then upon paying for your site, which only has electric by the way, you also have to purchase a $9 parking pass. We had to purchase one for our RV AND one for our car. Camp hosts are nonexistent. The facilities were FILTHY ! One shower open that YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR. $1 in quarters got me 2 mins and upon shooting out freezing water without warning , it took over a minute to get warm so then I had under 60 seconds to do a quick wash. Mind you- I typically boon-dock and off grid camp but figured I would splurge and hook up for the night ( traveling across country) and use a facilities shower. The floor was filthy and there were excrements left not only in the toilet but also on the seat. I’m just really bummed out.. would not recommend. On the plus side, I had a gorgeous balled Eagle fly right over head that left me in awe. And the sunrise was very beautiful.

Make sure you check your camp site on a map!

Initially made reservations at the point campground. There is NO shade. Cancelled and remade for Lake Hasty campground. Had a good time. Visited in spring, but it was HOT!! Very glad to have had the shade. Lots of owls. Lots of birds to watch. Bathrooms were a bit of a walk, but we were right next to the playground. Did some fishing, had a muskrat steal our fish. Lots of rattlesnakes. Also learned that rattlesnakes can swim. Easy drive to Bent's Old Fort which was great. Overall, nice but factor in weather when making reservations.

Perfect

Quiet. Secluded. Safe. Beautiful sunsets. Stopped off for an overnight on the way to Great Sand Dunes NP. So glad we found this place. Highly recommend.

Beautiful but buggy!

We come to this reservoir all the time! They do a have a boat ramp and a few “beaches” to set up at if you want. But it’s covered in bugs. I know I know, that’s what camping is about BUT they are just annoying! Takes me a good hour after each trip to vacuum they all up out of the camper after each trip!

Not exactly what I expected

Very large open gravel and prairie area. Long drive from there entrance to sites on gravel roads. Sites near water are still about 100-200 yards from the water. Lots of wind, no trees. The basic sites have a table, grill, parking pad, and tent pad, all on gravel. The area is very large so getting to the bathroom is a hike. Requires reservation plus a park pass you can buy at an automated kiosk. Access to site is via the visitor center boat inspection area which has the self serve kiosk. Overall the site is fine, and when I went on a weekday in July there was only one other camper in the whole area - right next to me. The water is pretty but that's probably where others will camp just FYI.

Nice enough

…but strange parking. Tip — park further away from hookups than you think you should. Very nice common area. Sculptures, structures and grass 😉.

Nice stop over for cross country travelers.

We stayed here twice last Summer on our cross country adventure. Nice shady spots and great bike riding opportunities.

A great experience!

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and Sundance High Plains RV Park. From the wonderful welcome we received when we checked in to the amenities of the Park it was great. Moderately priced, attractive, and accommodating.

Last minute

We were traveling through and needed a place to crash for the night so we decided to stop in for the night… Was a great family friendly environment and pet friendly… Would recommend them without hesitation… I look forward to camping there more in the future myself…

Reserve ahead of time - camp reservation system unrealible using phone

This is more of a review on the Colorado's reservation system than the campground it self.  This is a by reservation only campground, which I did not know about before arriving as I was traveling and this was not my intended stopping point for the night.  As it turned out I was unable to camp here.  Arrived at 7pm after hours and they only way to make a day of reservation was to use their online system which started out fine.  Made a account with Colorado, then made one for the reservation system got to the final step and then it would not let me agree to the terms of service, tried numerous times with out luck.  They have two ways to pay for your entrance to the park, by paper or electronic means at a kiosk, but only through their reservation system for a campsite.  Would be nice if the kiosk would let you reserve a site.  So if you are traveling and need a campsite get here early while park staff are still on duty or you might be out of luck.