Water Unknown
About Gypsum Campground

A developed public campground which borders Eagle River from Edwards to Dotsero and is near steep slopes and cliffs up to 800 feet above the river. River is at mid-level elevation and is accessible year round. Inactive volcanic crater and lava flow are nearby to Dotsero. Visitors who want to enjoy camping, picnicking, sightseeing, and wildlife viewing can access the river from the campground, which offers gravel roads with primitive walk in fishing and camping. Wildlife includes ducks, geese, blue heron, bald eagles and other raptors. Recreation activities in the area includes rafting and fishing. Floating season generally occurs during late May through July. For more information, please contact the Colorado river Valley Field Office.

ADA Access: ADA Accessible Restrooms

Fee Info
Camping: $10/Night
Bureau of Land Management
Gypsum Campground is located in Colorado
Directions
I-70 Exit 140 at Gypsum and turn south. Turn right on the frontage road (Old Highway 6) and go 1.5 miles past the roundabout. Take a left to the Gypsum Recreation Area.
4 Reviews of Gypsum Campground
Great site for fishing and cheap

If you are looking for a place to set up that is close to fishing this is your spot. There are a couple sites that are right by the river and a very short walk to wet your hook.

Yes the road noise is noticeable but it's unbearable. I would say just try to find one of the sites closer to the river verses the road.

I don't recall seeing a water faucet but did see one sight with power hook-up. Did it work? I haven't a clue. Only 2 other campers when I set up camp and both were in smaller RV's. Fire rings, picnic table and a fairly level site. Pit toilets that were bearable.

The views and the river is what this campground is all about

Easy access. Clean bathrooms. Fire ring and picnic table. Lots of road noise from I-70 but good access for biking, hiking, and fishing. Great BLM campground.

Eagle River Rec Area

There are 8 sites, mostly level, and a few day use sites next to the Eagle River.

This campground is close to I-70 which makes it convenient for day trips. In our case, it was a great place to camp because we were very tired but quite a bit of traffic noise. However, the noise wasn't enough to keep me from sleeping.

There are two vault toilets that haven't been serviced for a quite a while. Neither toilet had toilet paper. The floors weren't too dirty but I wouldn't want to go in with no shoes.

Pretty sure this is where we stayed

So we arrived late in the evening after driving the first leg of a road trip. There weren't a ton of spots open, in fact we might have gotten the last one. It was a gravel road leading to the sites but there was a restroom at the beginning of it. Sites were close together but we were just there for a night. The views were nice if you were looking at the river. The other direction was the highway. Obvious noise from the highway. Mostly just sage brush. I don't remember much for trees. There was a picnic table and at least a fire ring. May have also been a grill. We were close enough to our neighbors that it put our dog on high alert in the early AM since they rose early and made some rustling noises.