The best DRIVE IN camping near
Raymer (New Raymer) , COLORADO

Most Recent Raymer (New Raymer) Camping Reviews
Beautiful change of scenery

Took advantage of this past warmer weekend to camp here. It’s about 2 hours from Denver. There were a couple spots on the road you might want higher clearance, but mostly smooth and all easily passable in a stock Outback.

Plenty of dispersed sites; we camped on an overlook a quarter mile or so from the Pawnee Buttes trailhead which had beautiful, clear views of the sunrise and sunset. We only saw one other site in use and some folks camped at the trailhead parking lot, but neither were visible from our site. The night sky is beautiful and full of stars, though not completely dark since we could see lights from nearby private lands.

The only negative was wind. It was very windy, especially at night (the wind rocked the car most of the night). It wasn’t an issue for us sleeping in the car, but I wouldn’t tent camp. Pawnee Buttes Trail was a great way to start the day the next morning and it was nice to have use of the bathrooms.

Overall a beautiful site, plenty of solitude (at least in the winter) and nice change of pace from the mountains. I would return.

Spectacular landscape, views, quiet

Multiple dispersed campsites approaching the Pawnee Buttes trailhead from the west and southwest. I camped (rooftop tent) on the bluff overlooking the trailhead parking lot, approached from the south. Chilly at night (10 degrees) but no wind.

Spectacular view of the Pawnee Buttes to the east. Perfect spot to catch sunrise and sunset. This area is also a “dark site,” so on clear, moonless nights the stars / Milky Way are phenomenal.

During winter snow often drifts onto the roads. If snowy, 4-wheel drive / high clearance helpful for accessing some of the dispersed sites.

Trailhead restrooms are open year-round.

Consistent 3 bars 5G (AT&T). 200 Mbps down / 16 Mbps up.

Great spot close to home!

This is an unexpected gem very close to our house where you can't see a tree for miles. It's peaceful and not crowded. Be sure to check the forecast because it can get very windy at times.

Plenty of room

Very large area so you can have your own space. The sunset over the reservoir was beautiful

Secluded camping area

For an overnight stay this suited its purpose just fine.  Clean restrooms and sites. Treeless campsites with a shelter for sun and wind protection. But in October, the weather was accommodating.   Would definitely go here again for an overnighted on my way to the Rockies from the east on 80.

Awesome experience!

I showed up Monday evening. There were two cars in the parking lot, but there were two groups of people coming down the trail also, so by the time I had all my stuff situated to start hiking, I was the only one there. I found an awesome spot inside a ravine (it was very dry so I wasn’t worried about flash floods (still not smart) so wouldn’t do so in the winter) where I was visited by a badger, a porcupine, some antelope and many birds. I also found Mouse Bones so I’m sure there are mice. BUTTE-iful sunset, BUTTE-iful stars, BUTTE-iful sunrise, again everyone left by the time my camp was set up so I was all alone. 10/10 would recommend to campers, bikers, hikers, photographers, bird watchers, and just anyone who loves nature!!!!!🤘🏽

Solid Campsite

Solid campsite option. Nothing to extraordinary but don’t have anything bad to say. We had a pull through site with electric hook ups, a fire pit that had a grill grate on it, and a picnic table. The campsites are spaced out pretty well but there aren’t really any trees to give you privacy. There are stairs down to the beach in the water area which was a nice place to take a walk. When we went, there was construction and took us down a fairly bumpy dirt road detour. They do have water available throughout the campsite so we were able to pull up and load up our RV tank. Super peaceful at night.

Not a nice drive to the campground

Once you get off of the main road you have to drive 10+ minutes on a very rough dirt road. Not fun with a camper.

Lake does not look like picture posted above!

While the campground was just fine for an overnight stop, we would not have stayed more than one night. The bugs were very horrible. While I know that it’s part of camping, they were swarming so bad you heard a constant loud buzzing. Every time you needed to open your door, the RV would be swarmed with bugs. I am from MN, where bugs are bad, and this is the worst I’ve ever seen.

The lake must be very low, looked about halfway full. Looked a little sad with how little water there was in it.

For the price, I would say it is a little expensive for how it looked this time of year. Might be better during the summer months.

Fun find!

We stayed for 2 nights, changing plans from mountain camping to avoid wildfire effects. The lake (even with low water level) was great to play and swim in, especially with small kids. We stayed in Pelican Bay in a site by the water. Yes you will likely experience bugs, but nothing that deterrent doesn’t take care of. (When you have camped in the Midwest or Southeast US, these pests are nothing!). Well-tended sites and facilities. I recommend sites that have a bit of shade, which many of the ones we saw in Pelican Bay had. Nice pull-through sites that were spacious. Check it out for a close to Denver non-mountain, water alternative!