Elbert , COLORADO

Most Recent Elbert Camping Reviews
Beuatiful, but Noobs Beware!

Sorry, No photos. It is very beautiful up there. I have only been here once, and I did not do enough research. I recently purchased a 26ft sustainable travel trailer and decided to take it out for the first time. Well the road up is very tight. Very skinny switchbacks. About half way up looking for a way to turn around. We got lucky and found a space just barely large enough to back in to carfully. I am a first time TT owner so, yeah it was a bit nerve racking. Although it was very beautiful, I will not make that mistake again. Don't go up if you are pulling anything larger than a tear drop trailer. I didn't go all the way up, so I don't know if there is any kind of turn around up there. If someone knows, please enlighten me, as would like to know if I was going to be screwed if I went all the way up.

Excellent State Park

Colorado Springs offers much to do and this campground is a great spot to unhook. “The Meadows” is one of the loops…all level spots here, full hook-up. Not much privacy or shade, but would still highly recommend. The park location is close to Garden of the Gods, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Pike’s Peak and more. The park offers many wonderful hiking trails…and a frisbee golf course. Convenient drive to grocery stores and restaurants.

Heavenly

Thank you Heather C.!! Best suggestion… Best view… Best spot if all you need is to get away….

Great spot, beautiful area

Nice dispersed camping sites. Our only complaint was the couple that decided to join us at our site without asking, saying please, or even thank you for allowing them to stay. They also had a dog which agitated our dogs for the rest of our stay. Get it together folks!

Veiws!!

Had to walk a bit but thats ok. Great veiws no one around. Sadly no campfires, so early to bed. Very close to great trialheads

Fall in the mountains 🍂

My family of 4 and 2 dogs drove over 1,000 miles from Illinois to this area in hopes of finding a dispersed camping site with a view and we were blessed to find this spot off Rampart Range road. We arrived on a Sunday in late September around 2:00pm. This site has an amazing sunset view every night. The nights were cold some lows 32° and it snowed the first night which we were hoping for❄ The sunrises were stunning watching the sunlight slowly shed light on the golden aspens was a beautiful sight.

Access GPS Cascade-Chipita Park, CO 38.9694000, -105.0081000

To get to this spot from Rampart range road was a bit tricky pulling a 28ft trailer with a Chevy Suburban 2500 The road up after Loy Creek rd was EXTREMELY washboard for the next few miles we drove very slow we did this twice a day for 3 days it was the dreaded drive on the way back to base camp each night. Fortunately on day 4 they brought equipment in and leveled the road so the next few trips were nice and getting the camper out was a breeze. Turning off Rampart Range rd there are few ruts that were big but we made it in ok. The spot at the very end is very large and has a perfect view of Pikes Peak and plenty of hammock trees ideal if you can make it that far we were unable to make it due to a tight space between 2 trees large rocks and deep ruts so we set up camp at the spot right before this. We did help a couple with a rig a bit smaller than ours (23ft I believe) through using boards in the ruts and some guidance.

Hiking Nearby is the Rampart Reservoir via Rainbow Gulch trail I recommend walking from the site due to limited parking at the trailhead. We took this hike and it was absolutely fantastic a majestic walk through the woods brings you to flowing creek that you follow all the way down to the reservoir.

Trash, Water, Propane & Food We stopped at a campground in Woodland park on the way in and were able to fill up with water before heading up the mountain for $10. If you are heading south from Woodland park on highway 24 to the left is a brown wooden sign that says PROPANE the building also says they file taxes too we forgot the name 🤦🏼‍♀️but we refilled a propane tank and filled our 6 gallon water container for $12. Pack out what you pack in! No dumpsters! We went to the Walmart in Woodland park 25 minutes from camp a few times and it was very nice and clean.

Safety We spent most of the days away from base camp but in the late afternoon and evenings it was mostly quite. We woke up a few mornings to other campers down the road from us usually only stayed one night. We stayed 5 nights Sunday to Friday. I did get an uneasy feeling about a few vans and cars that came to the area for a short time. We seen a few abandoned camps one that was closest to us a tent with a few pots and and a sombrero oddly. It appears it could be a homeless getaway but we never seen anyone. I never felt unsafe here. We seen very little wildlife at the site only an owl and a few birds however the drive to and from camp we seen many deer be cautious at night

Fun and loud

Fun place to camp lots of sites and pretty trails, however this is known for its off-road ATV riders. If you're staying for a night or you're ATV for the weekend this is your spot. Don't bring the family if you plan on having a quiet weekend. Pack on and pack out, no bathrooms. Just one public one along the road somewhere. You're better off digging a hole.

Great!

We have been in Colorado for a month and this is the best Campground yet! Well managed, clean, spacious sites, FHU, laundry. Bathrooms were Covid closed. Exceptional customer service. When we wanted to extend our stay, the manager went out of her way to find a way that we wouldn’t have to move our trailer from one spot to the other. It was very appreciated. Highly recommend!!!!

It’s all about the location!

This is a lovely campground spread out among pines, cedars & hills. However , it is very important to get a spot away from the road. As I’ve read in other reviews, there is a rock quarry just down the road. Beginning early morning until late afternoon M-F, trucks roar up and down this road. If your spot is near the road, as our was, it is very annoying-especially if you try to set outside. Many of the spots in the back are by month only, but plan ahead if you want stay here and get as far away from this busy road as possible. While it is located well away from any town, it’s close enough to CO Springs, Pueblo, and Canon City, 20-30 minutes for great day trips. The grounds and public area are all very clean and well maintained. Staff was very friendly & helpful. Each afternoon the park was visited by multiple deer and turkey. The only negative here is the road noise!