Equestrian
About Colter Bay - Grand Teton National Park

Open late May to late September. Located 25 miles north of Moose with 350 individual sites without utility hookups and 11 group sites. Individual sites without hookups are first-come, first-served, advanced reservations are not accepted. The Colter Bay RV Park has sites with full utility hookups. Reservations are accepted for sites in the RV Park and for group sites in the campground. Colter Bay Campground and RV Park has modern comfort stations with a trailer dump station, showers and laundry nearby. Colter Bay is a wooded campground with larger sites and easier access if you are traveling with a camper, trailer or RV. Close to Jackson Lake with many nearby activities. The campground generally fills in the afternoon , if at all, reservations are advised for the RV Park. The maximum length of stay is 14 days with no more than 30 days in the park per year. Website: www.gtlc.com

Price
$31.00
National Park Service
Colter Bay - Grand Teton National Park is located in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming
Directions
Located 25 miles north of Moose.
57 Reviews of Colter Bay - Grand Teton National Park
1000% Will Return

You could spend your entire vacation here without leaving the campground (but don’t do that because there are two incredible National Parks right there). If I had to nitpick l, one thing is that most of the tent campsites aren’t too isolated from one another. When I stayed at the cabins, this wasn’t as much of an issue but still not great privacy. But I’m grasping at straws…I wouldn’t hesitate to return.

Centrally Located

We spent quite a bit of time in the Colter Bay Village area during our visit to Grand Teton. We split time tent camping and staying in one of the historic Colter Bay Cabins. Reservations are not accepted for the campground and are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. We arrived at the campground to get in line around 7:00 a.m. and were able to get a sight within 15 or 20 minutes of the gate opening.

We drove into our site and pitched our tent and then headed back out for the day to explore the park. We were so busy trying to get as much in that I didn't get any photos of the tent site. However, the sites are nicely spaced with a good deal of shade. Each site has a nice and clean fire ring, picnic table and ample flat ground for pithing a tent.

The campground has bathrooms spaced within each loop. They have an area to drain dish water (separate from the bathroom) and flush toilets. I would say that the bathrooms are dated but we didn't experience them being gross or overly dirty as another reviewer mentioned. And yes, the campground is a little expensive which is normal for Grand Teton. In my experience, it is one of the most expensive parks to travel in.

Our cabin at Colter Bay was wonderful! It was clean and just what we needed for a few nights. The folks in the office were attentive and friendly. The folks in the cabin next to us were a bit loud but it didn't impact our stay much. It wasn't spacious but it was plenty big enough to bring things in, get ready for a backcountry trip, shower and get a good night's sleep. No, they aren't cheap but we didn't mind splurging for a few nights!

Everything you need in one place

Great Hiking

Great Scenery

Great location, good amenities :) , disgusting bathrooms, price gouging :(

So, we just returned from our first trip to GTNP and Yellowstone, and tented 3 nights at Colter Bay (also 1 night at Jenny Lake, and 1 night at Gros Ventre).  First, GTNP and YNP in autumn is amazing, and Colter Bay has many great services conveniently available in the campground, such as a well stocked camp store, decent showers, one restaurant, and laundry.  Colter Bay camp ground is also close enough to YNP to be within striking distance for day trips up to all the southern attractions (although Headwaters at Flagg Ranch would be more centrally located between the parks).

Now the bad news:  the bathrooms in the campground look like they have never been cleaned or maintained.  The maintenance crew should be fired.  No hot water, broken cold water faucets. brown smelly urinal, filthy floors and stalls.  WTF?  I guess the teenagers they hire for summer workers don't like cleaning bathrooms.  At this point, its probably a good idea to gut the entire bathroom and start over from bare walls.  I would rather primitive camp in the nearby forest - oh, wait, thats illegal.  I'd have to drive 30 miles to get outside the national park before primitive camping is allowed…

One more gripe:  although there are many services provided by the national park service or their concessionaires (Vail Resorts) available to campers in the campground, is it really necessary to gouge campers on everything they sell?  $32/night to tent, $40 for breakfast for 2, $7.50 for a box of 4 logs, $4 for a shower,   I realize the park service claims they are woefully under-funded, but camping is supposed to be a good value for the vacations of middle class Americans, right?  After all, they market it as "your national parks" and I pay my taxes, and then they charge me again?  If its my national park, then I charge too much for everything.

OK.  I feel better now.  Other than these items, GTNP is a beautiful place.

Magical

Heaven!!!! That's all there is to Say….. There is great camping all over…. For dispersed Camping Free and Probably best views …. Shadow Mountain is the Ticket…. Grovant Campground is another wonderful Place….

Fantastic Camper Site

Check-in was super helpful to a rookie camper.  They suggested how we should pull into the site in order to face the correct direction and they informed us all about the fresh water refill station as well as the black water dumping station.  Site was simple to pull in and out of and the trees provided a good amount of privacy.

With Colter bay marina nearby, there was plenty to go see and do.  We will definitely stay here again in the future.

GTNP—incredible

Colter bay….where to relax after Yellowstone and much more accessible. Colter bay has 200-300 camp sites nestled in under the trees. It’s crowed but workable. First come first serve. Get there in the AM and getting a spot is easy. Do not wait till 4pm. You pull your trailer, motor home, parallel to the camp site.
Know National Park rules, this is not forest service land and the rangers will enforce their rules and regulations accordingly. As with any National Park the best of the Park lays outside the your campsite. The views of wildlife and landscape are everywhere.

very busy

In GT National Park, about 20 miles from S entrance to Yellowstone, very busy sites are not much, parking for rv and vehicles are along road tents can be put up further from road, bear boxes provided, picnic tables n fire pits, showers r in laundry room up by main stores not very close to camp sites, rode bike up to stores, beach and restaurants, there is a small grocery store on site with gift shop, this park is ran by Vail Resorts for the National Park Service, so you are in a National Park, follow fire restrictions closely.

Amazing camp ground

Stayed here for 6 days had amazing time. We were a minute walk away from the lake and a perfect view of the mountains. They had a great general store with decent prices for being the only store around. And a really nice buffet restaurant with some really amazing servers. The area is in bear country and we did see a bear. And there were obvious signs that the bares were in the ariea alot. When we saw the dear was near us there was also 3 rangers following it keeping the campers safe.

So Beautiful!!

Found an amazing campsite. A trail led from our campsite down to Jackson Lake. The view was unbelievable. The Park rangers were so friendly and helpful. Bathrooms have flushing toilets and running water. You can walk from the campsite to the Colter Bay store and gift shop. All the campers were so friendly. Definitely going back to Colter Bay.