Bernardstown , WEST VIRGINIA

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Bernardstown Camping Reviews
Great spot

Great dispersed camping area. Camped here in winter and just pulled into the first designated spot. There was snow but the fire pit was easy to dig out. Very quiet in late December and the sound of the creek was really peaceful.

Nice!

Super friendly camp host. He met us and drove us to the camp park because it was so dark. Spacious sites, and he is making amazing improvements to the park. Beautiful river setting.

Not too impressed

Just stayed here for one night with our 5th wheel when traveling home. I wasn’t too impressed. I thought it was expensive. The site was difficult to back into because everything was so narrow. I like to have a little bit of space when camping, but there were tent campers all around us. My surgeguard shut off the power in the evening due to high voltage. It was showing 137 volts at one time. I was not impressed and most likely won’t be back.

I'm giving it 5 stars but it was a disappointment

I'm sure this is an amazing campsite, but it was a little to rustic for my liking. There is no cell service within 30 miles, so for an outsider who doesn't know the area, it was difficult to find the campsite. You also better bring everything you need beforehand. There are no grocery stores anywhere near the campsite and we didn't have any food with us. The firewood is unbundled and there are no showers. We ended up not staying here because we were not prepared. It is nice that each campsite has a stone "oven" as a fire pit and a trash can on site.

Nice Area

Very nice area several nice spot right along the creek. Areas are spread out and private. Nice spot to relax and escape along creek. Drive back is well maintained dirt road.

beautiful !!

It was gorgeous and peaceful, right on the creek. So many stars!!

Campsites are first-come, first-served. We stayed one night with no permit. You get to them by a dirt road, park, and then the campsites are a little ways in. No amenities other than cleared level ground and a spot for the campfire.

Breathtaking!!!

This is a really beautiful park! When we arrived the park was almost empty and it was so quiet. We enjoyed the beautiful drive in with the fall colors and the little stream next to the road that goes through the campground. The sites are a little tight if you have a bigger camper. We have a R-Pod so the site was perfect for us. We stayed in a site that backed up to the mountain which added some privacy when other campers came in towards the end of our stay. The rangers were so helpful and just wonderful. There was a lot of wildlife to enjoy as you go through the park: deer, Turkey. The shower houses were cleaned three times a day. The sites have electric and at the shower house there is a spigot for fresh water. There was no phone signal at all for Verizon service, so a nice place to disconnect. The hiking trails were really beautiful. At the Upper Falls and Shupe’s Chute there is a parking area and a wooden set of stairs and board walk to the Upper Falls. The trail to the Overlook was a very difficult trail, but the view from the top was breathtaking. Worth the difficult hike. Absolutely loved the park. The only reason I didn’t give a five star rating is because… the last two nights we stayed some of the campers that came in were blasting music and yelling across the campground. They were so loud we could hear them from inside our camper and it went on until we’ll after midnight. The park has quiet hours from 10pm-7am. Despite the rangers making rounds it continued. Aside from that we truly enjoyed our visit to this park and will be back.

Nice, free, primitive campground

The campsites are just pullouts in the road with fire pits. Good quality dirt access road, no problem for my Honda Civic. Got here on a Monday night in late September and there were lots of campsites available. Good access to water with the river. No mosquitos. Soft ground for staking a tent. Getting here long after dark isn’t an issue, because you can drive right into a campsite. It was very quiet for me, no traffic on the road at night. There was some light litter, a few soda bottles, that kind of thing. No AT&T service. Highly recommended

1st Time at Summersville

First time at Summersville to camp. Great atmosphere and good amenities. Camp sites spread out enough to where campers are not directly on top of each other. However, their guest policy is a little annoying, have to register them in before 8 pm and not able to pay for your guests in the morning if the guests arrive late (my guests were going to come and probably not stay the night, but there was a chance that they could stay).

Deep Woods Feel

Site 4 (non-electric) July 28-31, 2020 Average Daily Temp: 89 Average Nightly Temp: 78 One of the best when it comes to size of site, privacy, and remote feel. Firewood is available for small fee. Table, fire pit, and comfortable pad. Encountered 19 deer, 1 bear, and several other small creatures. Short drive or hike to Lake with boat rentals and fishing. Campground is only 10 sites with plenty of canopy for shade. One of my favorite spots to date.