Standard (Tent/RV)
About Yellow Circle Road Dispersed Camping Area

11 Miles south of Moab, free dispersed sites along Yellow Circle Road. BLM signage designates the area within which you can camp. Many RVs and tent sites. Good for 2wd.

Hike In
No Water Hookups
Yellow Circle Road Dispersed Camping Area is located in Utah
10 Reviews of Yellow Circle Road Dispersed Camping Area
Don’t venture at night.

Unless you’ve ample off roading experience, outfitted your rig with an assortment of lights, and a decent lift kit, please don’t attempt to climb the mountain beyond a certain point at night. The trail has portions where the road has given out and requires extreme caution as to not tumble down the mountain.

Otherwise, there are plenty of huge camping spots prior to the coordinates listed on this specific site.

Public Lands- all by yourself !

Just a couple miles outside of Moab UT. A great spot some friends showed me to camp out under the stars. Primitive for sure, no water, no toilets, picnic tables or anything. But great sunsets, views of the mountains and you can even see Arches from the distance. The stars are so bright at night and you can see the Milky Way. It’s about a 15 minute car ride (have a 4WD or something rugged) up to the top of the bluff where this site was. We saw another site on the way up but someone was there. I enjoyed it a lot. We saw Arches (25 mins away) and Canyonlands (45 mins away) Kens Lake and some waterfall place that was great ! My kind of camping.

Good spot

Lotsss of places to set up a tent and some RV spots too. Camped here twice and I like it a lot, very nice view. Only downsides are the lack of shade and that some of the spots have a very rough road to get to. Also, watch the big ants. You do not want to get bit by one of those suckers

Use the NW entrance! 2wd acceptable

Free! Easy enough to find if you use the coordinates given by the Dyrt. I only saw maybe 6 official spaces to camp, but there's probably more that I just couldn't access with 2wd. I took the Northwest entrance initially and had no problem getting to the campsite. Just a few bumps. Using the other entrance, I found too many bumps for my minivan to get over.

It will do just fine

We got here to find it relatively busy, we are here in a Tuesday and there are at least 10 other campers here. It's a rough road in, the higher up you go on the road, the rougher. We took our travel trailer(22' total) up, just have to be careful. It was a good place to stay, pretty scenic area, was hoping for a bit more seclusion so we could run our generator, whatever though, not a deal breaker. It's a good place for a free overnight. I'd stay again in a heart beat.

Bumpy road but nice location and parking area

The road to get there is bumpy with lots of tire ruts. I did still make it with my 2wd though! The site had a fire pit, a view of the mountain, and lots of place to park. The road clearly states where camping is permitted.

It works

Good roads but many camp spots are subject to road noise from the highway. Has potential to fill quickly as it's pretty close to town. We just needed a place to pull over for the night and get some truck bed sleep, it worked fine for us.

Great access to motorsports

There are plenty of FREE spots available in this general area that is a stone's throw from Canyonlands, right outside of Behind the Rocks Wilderness Study Area. There are a few "campgrounds" along this road, on both sides of the highway. Pay attention to BLM signs and camp only in designated spots. Also, make sure you have a portable toilet or be prepared to pack out your and your pet's waste. There are no toilets and digging of cat holes is NOT allowed!

There are some washes and tricky spots, but several sedans were able to make it in. Obviously the Jeeps here for the rally had no problem at all, and it was fun watching them zoom around. Great place for dirt bikes and ATVs as well. Wish we had one to join in the fun or do some more site seeing!

This was a fairly popular spot, but the sites are all spread out so its not too bad. Make sure you bring everything you need, there are no amenities other than fire rings.

Dispersed Camping with View of La Sal Mountains

This is a pretty rustic Dispersed site. Plenty of room for lots of rvs and tents. The road getting there is a couple miles and pretty bumpy but doable in most vehicles, even my low wheel drive Saturn. Has fire rings and amazing view of the mountains right there where you camp. There’s a lot of ATV and UTV action that happens across the road, I think there’s a trail so that can be loud, even at night. All in all it’s a pretty good site.

Renogy Water Filter at Yellow Circle Road

This campground is about 11 miles south of Moab, and one of the only FREE places in camp in the area. There are no amenities (with the exception of occasional fire pits), but plenty of space for campers, large RVs, tents, etc. We were fine with a 2WD car. When you drive in, make sure you are far enough to be in the designated camping area (0.6) miles from the mail road (past the cattle guard). There are several options once you pull in, (the road splits 3 ways), all are good! The one furthest to the left has a little shade and goes up a slight canyon where we saw some people using hammocks.

We camped here for 3 days during our stay in Moab, with three cars and about 8 people and had no issues finding a spot. We set up tents in a slightly "grassy" patch. There is little shade. We packed up every night and did not leave our stuff while we were gone, however- other people did, and had no issues with theft.

GEAR REVIEW

Renology Water filter

As a Ranger, I occasionally get the chance to test out gear for The Dyrt!

I collected water from a slightly moving canyon stream along one of our hikes in a canyon, and brought it back to camp to filter. I usually do this when filtering water rather than filtering at the source (I've dropped too many things, and it's hard balancing along muddy creekbeds).

What I loved about the Renogy Water Filter, was it's size. It's nice and small and comes with a little carrying case. It was pretty easy to put together (via the photograph/instruction card). I pumped a liter of water in about 2 minutes with set up and balancing. My arm didn't get tired at all, and I could have easily done another 2 L! It was also awesome that the intake tube is so long - for when you are collecting at the source, you have a little more leeway with your set up. I only ran into one problem - my output tube popped out of the clean water nalgene and landed on the ground once, thankfully it didn't get muddy or gross.

A couple cons about the filter include the carrying case and tube storage. It's suede, which is aesthetic and nice, but possibly not the most durable or waterproof for long backpacking trips. Also- all filters I've had in the past came with baggies to keep your intake and output tubes separate to prevent cross contamination. This filter didn't stress that at all, but I brought my own baggies just to be safe.

Final conclusion - This filter is a nice size for backpacking and easy to use. I'll be taking it on all my trips this summer, but might find a different carrying case for it.

Black Friday Gift: 6 months of FREE PRO camping features. Get Your Gift