New South Memphis, TENNESSEE

Camping Tennessee New South Memphis
Most Recent New South Memphis Camping Reviews
Convenient place

Right off the hiway The most Level site in our 6k mile trip Nice park w clean facilities Easy access to the sites Nice park! Friendly staff

Ice campground , Mississippi need to

Mississippi needs to put some funding behind the park, could be a real gem. Overall we had a great stay and I would recommend the campground.

Basic but nice

This is a pretty basic campsite, but I enjoyed it.

• I'm a tent camper and had to move sites since the one I originally picked didn't have an area for my tent. Make sure you get there by 3ish to check that your site can accommodate a tent and stakes
  • Site had a grill, table and firepit
  • Sites were very close together
  • They were out of firewood to purchase, but you are allowed to bring your own
  • There were a lot of Ole Miss students at the park playing disc golf
  • Bathrooms are pretty old
  • I could hear highway traffic at night, but it wasn't too distracting
  • I would camp here again
Confusing Campground, Awesome Rangers!

We ended up camping here after another campground didn't work out. We arrived without reservation and didn't know much about the park, so we needed a little help from the rangers when we were choosing a spot. The campground seems to have been renovated in the last few years. The sites are all mixed together. You have a handful of RV sites with 50 amp, a couple of 30 amp sites and then lots of tent sites that have 20 amp or no power at all. The problem for us was that the leaves have fallen, so we couldn't even see where the parking pads were and all of the different sites were mixed together. I think it would be easier to sort it out via the website that has info listed for each site.

Ranger Tyson informed us that they were doing a night hike to the Fort and they would be serving Gumbo for dinner around the campfire at the Fort. Sign me up! It was one of the fee based activities, but for $5 per person, it was totally worth it! Tyson and Matt were awesome and the evening hike was surprisingly very cool!

As for the park itself, they don't have a huge "tourist attraction" like some parks, so it was very peaceful and not overcrowded. They work hard to offer great ranger lead programs. You can tell right away that the staff really does care about this park.

The bathhouse was newer and clean. Each bathroom was private in that you had your own suite style bathroom with toilet, sink & shower. The only drawback is that the bath house building (2) only had (1) mens suite and (1) womens suite each. I could see a line forming during warmer months, especially if there were lots of tent campers.

The park had a really nice day use area with a new playground, pavilion area and picnic tables. There is also a basketball goal/court area near the day use area. The visitors center/museum was a bunker style building built into the side of the hill. Great exhibit and lots of info on the battle and fort at Fort Pillow. There is also a small fishing lake with a boat ramp and pier.

Beautiful in the Fall

Village Creek is becoming one of our favorite campground that is close to home! Great for hiking, fishing, kayaking and general outdoor activities!

Choose from 3 different campgrounds within the park: The Lower Loop is more rustic and offers water & electric hookups. There is a nice, small creek that runs along the back of the campground behind the sites opposite the main road. Plenty of flat ground for football, baseball or badminton. Very nice “suite style” bathrooms.

The Upper Loop has larger camp pads with full hookups. There is walk up water access at the end of the cove between sites 46 & 47 with a swim beach (looks like it is about to undergo some renovations) and playground. The bathroom is extremely clean.

The Horse Camp looks nice, but I don’t know any details on that.

The park office offers WiFi (very limited cell service in the park), wood for sale, ice for sale, other snacks and bike rentals.

Several tennis courts, a basketball court and a baseball backstop can also be found within the park. There is also a beautiful golf course for the golfer campers!

Wonderful Halloween park

My wife and I have only camped here once. It won’t be the last time, but we were invited to the halloween get to gether at the park . And we had no idea it was such a big deal. But we drove down and visited and hung around for the festivities and boy was it worth it. Every camp site had wonderful decorations and the kids had such a blast. It was awesome. And the rest of the year it is a quiet getaway.

Perfect for the visit !!

Great place to stay if you are here for the tour , very nice folks , convenient factor through the roof , 24 hr security, shopping and eats close by ..

Great place to stay!

Clear water and great fishing! Camp sites have picnic tables and lots of shade trees!

OVERNIGHT

Stopped here for one night on my way East. Average campground peaceful and quiet. Bathroom could use updating.

Sept 2019

This is a great small park. It's older, not many hook up sites. Ranger was friendly Uses an iron ranger. The park is used and for the most part the patrons do their due diligence. Has several trails

Very nice

Nice and clean. Well kept. Plenty of shady spots with lake views very quiet also. Will be back

Clean

Clean campground with pull through and back-in spots. Saw some really big rigs that fit just fine. They have shower house and laundry. Full hookups. Cheap!

Ranger Review: IceMule Cooler at Chewalla Lake Recreation Area

Campground Review: We live about an hour away from here, so we decided to finally check this place out! I am so glad we finally gave it a chance! The park/recreation area is rustic and not overcrowded. There is a boat ramp and fishing pier for the fishermen/water lovers. At the end of the road, you can find another parking area with day use bathroom. There is a paved trail that passes by a picnic pavilion and playground. The path leads you to a partially covered bridge that crosses over to an island with a picnic table. Lots of people were out fishing and picnicking with their families for the day. The campground seems to be slowly going through some upgrades! That’s always great news! The first couple of sites on your right have fresh gravel, while other sites are still in great shape, but are a little more rustic. Some sites have electric and water hook ups. Each site is clearly marked electric/non electric on the reservation website. We really liked it here and look forward to coming back.

Product Review: Ice Mule Cooler– The Jaunt: This is a great day use cooler! I chose the smaller“Jaunt” style because it has backpack straps, so I can tote it along hands free! While we didn’t use it for our food at the campground due to it’s smaller size, it was perfect to pack up a few drinks to carry over to the lake to go fishing. There is a front zipper pocket that is perfect for my ID and cellphone. I loaded 3 canned drinks and 3 bottled waters plus a small snack and filled it with enough ice to keep the drinks cold. I was able to wear it like a backpack and still carry my fishing bucket and fishing poles without feeling like I was overloaded. The size is also perfect to strap it onto a kayak or stand up paddle board so that you have access to cold drinks/food while out on the water! I love the ice mule and can’t wait to order one of the larger styles!

Still in the city

Close to several amenities, but not really camping. Welcome to Memphis (technically Cordova, but we still.got the crime.) Shelby farms is a great park, one of the largest city parks in the US; you're close, but it's still city. If camping here, it's 5-6 miles off I40, and I'd just use it as a quick overnight (if tent camping) Some RVs stay here for quite a while. Note if you're coming during a festival ( Delta Fair, Corn Maze for Halloween, etc) you'll have congestion and noise.

Nice, but many bees; Positive: not as busy as expected

If not for the bee infestation in the water pipes at the forst site, the rating would be MUCH higher…

Overall, we had a good time camping here. The only problem was the bugs (mosquitoes, spiders, etc.), but that's a risk of camping. Our actual, reserved site was overrun with bees in the water tap, though. We told the rangers who set off to spray them, and who also gave us a new, slightly bigger site to set up our tent. This one had many mosquitoes under the picnic table, but no bees! And mosquitoes happen, so we dealt with it:-) The bathrooms were GREAT, and even Air Conditioned! The firewood which was officially purchased there and covered in spiderwebs took a LONG time to get burning, but once it was, it burned hot and well into the night. It was a good stay, with the exception of getting stung by the bees, but thankfully it was only me and not the kids who were stung.

Surprisingly empty, given the very few options shown to reserve online. Maybe many people cancelled?

One thing to note: the office has WiFi during open hours…otherwise, we didn't even have ANY phone signal in the area. Good while camping, so not a complaint…just an observation FYI.

Great Campground

This campground is right on the Mississippi River, only problem is if the river is over its banks, then the campground is closed. We had to keep checking to see if the river was down, campground was cleaned up and open. The drive into the campground can seem a little sketchy, but once you get to your spot on the river it is a great hidden gem. Lots of full hookups some on concrete, some are gravel, all level. Clean restroom, free laundry and free WiFi. This is a campground we would like to stay at again.

Not my kind of campground

First, it was impossible to find it. Took about two hours. My gps had me get off highway at wrong exit and then I didn’t know which intersection of 7 and 4 the campground was at. There are two. The area is really pretty, but I didn’t stay the night and just gave up my reservation. There was a sign out front saying that payment was required in the folder at the front but I payed online. That already confused me. No gate, no person at the front. Didn’t seem like the safest area to me either. I was driving trying to find my campsite and then I started itching. A mosquito had gotten in in that 30 seconds I had the window down. Campsite was basically dirt with gullies on the side so it was hard to back out. Trash all near table and fire pit. Swarms of bugs were already attacking my car before I could even stop. I didn’t even walk in the bathrooms to see what they were like. Might be good for day use because the trails looked nice from the road.

Nice, quiet campground

Campground was great and had hot showers free to both primitive site($7) and hookup site ($20) campers. The lake was gorgeous with a winding, unpaved bike trail that was really fun on mountain bikes! We didn’t try, but I bet fishing would be great here.

The only problem we had was the trash leftover by the previous campers. The fire pit was full of half-burnt garbage. Pick up after yourselves people!

Overall very quiet, peaceful Thursday night.

Quiet, primitive campground. No self-pay box.

The campground was very nice with footpaths to the nearby lake and little hoppin’ toads everywhere. A little pricey for a primitive site in my opinion ($12). No showers, but a stinky bathroom nearby. The campground was pretty empty in the heat of summer even on a Friday night, but you could hear folks partying at the RV site across the lake. Didn’t bother me much, the toads and bugs were much louder 😆

Free swimming beach within a 5 min. drive (no dogs allowed).

We were annoyed when we arrived to find that there were no self-pay boxes even though the forest map says there should be. Had to drive to the visitor center to pay. They need to either update their map or add boxes to prevent confusion.

Adult friendly

Campground is pretty basic but convenient to casino so not really kid friendly, you can use hotel pool and lazy river

Nice and quiet

Older state park that could use some TLC, but it was peaceful and quiet. The bathrooms were clean and stocked. We were only able to spend a little time at the lake as we were in the area for a family gathering, in New Albany, so spent the bulk of our weekend away from the park. Friendly front gate staff. We would definitely stay here again.

Quiet stay

Had a comfortable night in a cabin. Cabin was warm & had everything we needed. Will stay here again if we’re in the area.

Near Memphis

This is a beautiful park with lots of trees and Robert the camp host was nice and helpful. There is a museum on site. Clean rr's and free ice machine

Wonderful Park on the Water

We stayed at Beech Point campground at site #12 on June 20, 2019. This was a huge campsite with lots of room for our two large tents. It was set back on its own point out into the lake, so our tents were surrounded on three sides by water. The campground was not very crowded on a Thursday night so even pulling in late we still could choose from a few great sites. We were right across from the swimming area which had a sandy wade-in. It was hot and humid at night but still reasonable for sleeping. Sites were very spread out so we didn’t hear the hum of nearby RV A/C units.

Bathrooms and showers were organized in banks of 4 private shower/bath combos and were clean and well-maintained. We didn’t see a camp store on-site (just a gift shop with a few scattered camp supplies) but the visitor center had very helpful rangers. The only real lack for facilities in the camp was a dish-washing station. You can get to the main Mississippi River from the park, but it is about 20 mins drive from this campground.

The visitor center offers a drop-off service for SUPs and we woke up the next morning with the boards dropped right next to our van. There is a small boat dock in the campground - only for carry-able boats since there is no ramp and about 5 steps to negotiate. The lake is smallish but filled with coves to explore and abundant wildlife to see.

Perfect for a Memphis stay

We aren’t too enamored with Elvis but this was a nice RV park with a good value just outside of Memphis. If you are Elvis fans then you will love the proximity to Graceland. For us we enjoyed the pavilion, pool, basketball hoop, playground, showers, and other amenities. The highlight of our stay here, however, was the opportunity to take a free pink Cadillac limo ride to Marlowe’s for superb BBQ. Our children loved this opportunity. Next time we are in Memphis we will certainly be back here!

Nice enough.

Clean place near or in town. A little pricey $28day rate. Laundry & bath were good. Nice place for kids to play. Some small level of privacy. Close to industrial area, so there was sometimes a smell. Not super close, but close enough to downtown. No cell and almost no digital TV service.

Clean and safe

Very well kept basic RV Park.  Well maintained and very safe place to stay.  If your going to Graceland stay here before staying at Graceland RV Park.  You'll be much more relaxed at night.

Isolated

This is a beautiful area in the woods next to a lake. Has electric and water, no sewer. Bathrooms are not kept up, dirty and no lights in the showers. Pretty isolated, very few campers here. This could be a wonderful camping area, bathrooms need improvement!!

Lake poinsett campground

Really enjoy camping at lake Poinsett. The campground is mostly shady with water and electric at each site. There is no sewer hook up but a dump station is next to the visitor center. There is a nice clean bathhouse and outside the campground is an all season pavilion. In the pick nick are the children have a playground. The lake itself has been drained to make repairs to the dam and fish habitat improvements

Nice!

No sewer, water and electric only. Sites are clean and well kept.