New South Memphis, TENNESSEE

Camping Tennessee New South Memphis
Most Recent New South Memphis Camping Reviews
Great place to stay!

Clear water and great fishing! Camp sites have picnic tables and lots of shade trees!

OVERNIGHT

Stopped here for one night on my way East. Average campground peaceful and quiet. Bathroom could use updating.

Sept 2019

This is a great small park. It's older, not many hook up sites. Ranger was friendly Uses an iron ranger. The park is used and for the most part the patrons do their due diligence. Has several trails

Very nice

Nice and clean. Well kept. Plenty of shady spots with lake views very quiet also. Will be back

Clean

Clean campground with pull through and back-in spots. Saw some really big rigs that fit just fine. They have shower house and laundry. Full hookups. Cheap!

Ranger Review: IceMule Cooler at Chewalla Lake Recreation Area

Campground Review: We live about an hour away from here, so we decided to finally check this place out! I am so glad we finally gave it a chance! The park/recreation area is rustic and not overcrowded. There is a boat ramp and fishing pier for the fishermen/water lovers. At the end of the road, you can find another parking area with day use bathroom. There is a paved trail that passes by a picnic pavilion and playground. The path leads you to a partially covered bridge that crosses over to an island with a picnic table. Lots of people were out fishing and picnicking with their families for the day. The campground seems to be slowly going through some upgrades! That’s always great news! The first couple of sites on your right have fresh gravel, while other sites are still in great shape, but are a little more rustic. Some sites have electric and water hook ups. Each site is clearly marked electric/non electric on the reservation website. We really liked it here and look forward to coming back.

Product Review: Ice Mule Cooler– The Jaunt: This is a great day use cooler! I chose the smaller“Jaunt” style because it has backpack straps, so I can tote it along hands free! While we didn’t use it for our food at the campground due to it’s smaller size, it was perfect to pack up a few drinks to carry over to the lake to go fishing. There is a front zipper pocket that is perfect for my ID and cellphone. I loaded 3 canned drinks and 3 bottled waters plus a small snack and filled it with enough ice to keep the drinks cold. I was able to wear it like a backpack and still carry my fishing bucket and fishing poles without feeling like I was overloaded. The size is also perfect to strap it onto a kayak or stand up paddle board so that you have access to cold drinks/food while out on the water! I love the ice mule and can’t wait to order one of the larger styles!

Still in the city

Close to several amenities, but not really camping. Welcome to Memphis (technically Cordova, but we still.got the crime.) Shelby farms is a great park, one of the largest city parks in the US; you're close, but it's still city. If camping here, it's 5-6 miles off I40, and I'd just use it as a quick overnight (if tent camping) Some RVs stay here for quite a while. Note if you're coming during a festival ( Delta Fair, Corn Maze for Halloween, etc) you'll have congestion and noise.

Nice, but many bees; Positive: not as busy as expected

If not for the bee infestation in the water pipes at the forst site, the rating would be MUCH higher…

Overall, we had a good time camping here. The only problem was the bugs (mosquitoes, spiders, etc.), but that's a risk of camping. Our actual, reserved site was overrun with bees in the water tap, though. We told the rangers who set off to spray them, and who also gave us a new, slightly bigger site to set up our tent. This one had many mosquitoes under the picnic table, but no bees! And mosquitoes happen, so we dealt with it:-) The bathrooms were GREAT, and even Air Conditioned! The firewood which was officially purchased there and covered in spiderwebs took a LONG time to get burning, but once it was, it burned hot and well into the night. It was a good stay, with the exception of getting stung by the bees, but thankfully it was only me and not the kids who were stung.

Surprisingly empty, given the very few options shown to reserve online. Maybe many people cancelled?

One thing to note: the office has WiFi during open hours…otherwise, we didn't even have ANY phone signal in the area. Good while camping, so not a complaint…just an observation FYI.

Great Campground

This campground is right on the Mississippi River, only problem is if the river is over its banks, then the campground is closed. We had to keep checking to see if the river was down, campground was cleaned up and open. The drive into the campground can seem a little sketchy, but once you get to your spot on the river it is a great hidden gem. Lots of full hookups some on concrete, some are gravel, all level. Clean restroom, free laundry and free WiFi. This is a campground we would like to stay at again.

Not my kind of campground

First, it was impossible to find it. Took about two hours. My gps had me get off highway at wrong exit and then I didn’t know which intersection of 7 and 4 the campground was at. There are two. The area is really pretty, but I didn’t stay the night and just gave up my reservation. There was a sign out front saying that payment was required in the folder at the front but I payed online. That already confused me. No gate, no person at the front. Didn’t seem like the safest area to me either. I was driving trying to find my campsite and then I started itching. A mosquito had gotten in in that 30 seconds I had the window down. Campsite was basically dirt with gullies on the side so it was hard to back out. Trash all near table and fire pit. Swarms of bugs were already attacking my car before I could even stop. I didn’t even walk in the bathrooms to see what they were like. Might be good for day use because the trails looked nice from the road.

Nice, quiet campground

Campground was great and had hot showers free to both primitive site($7) and hookup site ($20) campers. The lake was gorgeous with a winding, unpaved bike trail that was really fun on mountain bikes! We didn’t try, but I bet fishing would be great here.

The only problem we had was the trash leftover by the previous campers. The fire pit was full of half-burnt garbage. Pick up after yourselves people!

Overall very quiet, peaceful Thursday night.

Quiet, primitive campground. No self-pay box.

The campground was very nice with footpaths to the nearby lake and little hoppin’ toads everywhere. A little pricey for a primitive site in my opinion ($12). No showers, but a stinky bathroom nearby. The campground was pretty empty in the heat of summer even on a Friday night, but you could hear folks partying at the RV site across the lake. Didn’t bother me much, the toads and bugs were much louder 😆

Free swimming beach within a 5 min. drive (no dogs allowed).

We were annoyed when we arrived to find that there were no self-pay boxes even though the forest map says there should be. Had to drive to the visitor center to pay. They need to either update their map or add boxes to prevent confusion.

Adult friendly

Campground is pretty basic but convenient to casino so not really kid friendly, you can use hotel pool and lazy river

Nice and quiet

Older state park that could use some TLC, but it was peaceful and quiet. The bathrooms were clean and stocked. We were only able to spend a little time at the lake as we were in the area for a family gathering, in New Albany, so spent the bulk of our weekend away from the park. Friendly front gate staff. We would definitely stay here again.

Quiet stay

Had a comfortable night in a cabin. Cabin was warm & had everything we needed. Will stay here again if we’re in the area.

Near Memphis

This is a beautiful park with lots of trees and Robert the camp host was nice and helpful. There is a museum on site. Clean rr's and free ice machine

Wonderful Park on the Water

We stayed at Beech Point campground at site #12 on June 20, 2019. This was a huge campsite with lots of room for our two large tents. It was set back on its own point out into the lake, so our tents were surrounded on three sides by water. The campground was not very crowded on a Thursday night so even pulling in late we still could choose from a few great sites. We were right across from the swimming area which had a sandy wade-in. It was hot and humid at night but still reasonable for sleeping. Sites were very spread out so we didn’t hear the hum of nearby RV A/C units.

Bathrooms and showers were organized in banks of 4 private shower/bath combos and were clean and well-maintained. We didn’t see a camp store on-site (just a gift shop with a few scattered camp supplies) but the visitor center had very helpful rangers. The only real lack for facilities in the camp was a dish-washing station. You can get to the main Mississippi River from the park, but it is about 20 mins drive from this campground.

The visitor center offers a drop-off service for SUPs and we woke up the next morning with the boards dropped right next to our van. There is a small boat dock in the campground - only for carry-able boats since there is no ramp and about 5 steps to negotiate. The lake is smallish but filled with coves to explore and abundant wildlife to see.

Perfect for a Memphis stay

We aren’t too enamored with Elvis but this was a nice RV park with a good value just outside of Memphis. If you are Elvis fans then you will love the proximity to Graceland. For us we enjoyed the pavilion, pool, basketball hoop, playground, showers, and other amenities. The highlight of our stay here, however, was the opportunity to take a free pink Cadillac limo ride to Marlowe’s for superb BBQ. Our children loved this opportunity. Next time we are in Memphis we will certainly be back here!

Nice enough.

Clean place near or in town. A little pricey $28day rate. Laundry & bath were good. Nice place for kids to play. Some small level of privacy. Close to industrial area, so there was sometimes a smell. Not super close, but close enough to downtown. No cell and almost no digital TV service.

Clean and safe

Very well kept basic RV Park.  Well maintained and very safe place to stay.  If your going to Graceland stay here before staying at Graceland RV Park.  You'll be much more relaxed at night.

Isolated

This is a beautiful area in the woods next to a lake. Has electric and water, no sewer. Bathrooms are not kept up, dirty and no lights in the showers. Pretty isolated, very few campers here. This could be a wonderful camping area, bathrooms need improvement!!

Lake poinsett campground

Really enjoy camping at lake Poinsett. The campground is mostly shady with water and electric at each site. There is no sewer hook up but a dump station is next to the visitor center. There is a nice clean bathhouse and outside the campground is an all season pavilion. In the pick nick are the children have a playground. The lake itself has been drained to make repairs to the dam and fish habitat improvements

Nice!

No sewer, water and electric only. Sites are clean and well kept.

Nice place!

We stay here pretty often and it’s a popular place. Especially in the summer! Park is clean and well maintained.

This place is a ghost town. Half

Half of the park is abandoned/closed down and only one bath house is up and running. The few spots they do have are taken up by gigantic big rigs that don’t need the bathrooms so it’s terribly set up. The Ranger will try to bamboozle you into staying there when you are looking for the park next door (Hernando Point-Oak Grove).

Nice for nature lovers

This campground has well spaced sites, plenty of nature and several trails. The bathrooms are dated. Staff is nearly non existent. The campground is at least 30 minutes from any town so plan ahead! The playground is small and the place is never busy. It’s great if you want to have a quiet nature loving vacation. Their website says there is a pool and this is NOT TRUE.

Nice place

This is a decently maintained campground. The hosts are polite and the sites are well kept. The swim area is not disability friendly for access (steep hill). The real secret to this campground is the city of Hernando! Adorable Main Street dynamic with fantastic food and fun shops. We camp here very often. My only issue is that the bathrooms are dated and could use some maintenance but they are by no means gross/unusable.

Abandoned.

This is an abandoned site. Now its full of trash.

Beautiful park.

This park is one of a kind. The campsites have plenty of space and the park was very clean. We saw tons of dear and birds. We stayed during thanksgiving so it wasn’t real busy. The kids loved playing in the leaves. We can’t wait to come back next year.

Heaven on Earth

We love Lone Pine Campground. The campsites are large and all on the water. It's also dog-friendly.