The best GROUP camping near
Leesville , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Leesville Camping Reviews
Terrible experience TW- lewd behavior

Hopefully one off!!!

We were lounging about, reading in my car, when a truck with two male NPS staff pulled in right next to us. One staff proceeded to give the other staff a blowjob. Hopefully not realizing we were there. As two solo women we were nervous about the lewd behavior and just left.

Nice Campground About to Get Better!

We camped at Baker Creek (relatively local to us at only 30 miles away) for the first time 7-9 October 2020. We went for kayaking and mountain biking as well as just some time away. Baker Creek is off the main body of Clarks Hill Lake/Lake Strom Thurmond and as such is much quieter than some of the other campgrounds (e.g. Elijah Clark).

Pros:

• A smallish campground with many sites on the water or at least water-accessible.
  • Clean bathhouses
  • Super friendly Rangers and Campground hosts.
  • Quiet on land and from boat traffic noise
  • Comparatively inexpensive

Cons:

• Showing its age, it needs some work. Appears a bit run down with erosion evident on many sites.
  • No fire rings although fires are permitted (previous campers have built makeshift/ad hoc fire rings using the plentiful rocks in the area).
  • Can seem cramped with 50 sites in arelatively small area.
  • No T-Mobile call service in the area.

The Good News (Renovations!):

Speaking with the Campground Host, and later one of the rangers, here are some developments about Baker Creek SP that will definitely be of interest.

1. The park is closing the end of October 2020 as usual but is not projected to open in 2021 until 1 May once renovations are complete.

2. Renovations to the campground include modernizing the sites which included reducing the number of sites from 50 to 30, increasing the size of the sites, installing 50A outlets and fire rings at a minimum.

3. Once the park reopens, it will be open YEAR ROUND.

We will definitely be returning after they reopen and I'll post a new review.

Fantastic Campground

Spent this past weekend at Ridge Road Campground. This is an amazing campground. The staff is wonderful. The entire campground is spotless, clean, and exceptionally well maintained. We were in site #67. All the sites are large and well spaced. Tons of trees and most sites are on right on the lake. The water is amazingly clear. If you look at my previous reviews, we’ve camped at many campgrounds around the Southeast this year and we have found that George State Parks and COE campgrounds are at the top of our list. Ridge Road is now in our top 5 overall. I highly recommend this campground if you like quiet, relaxation, kayaking, fishing, or boating in general.

We enjoyed it

Cool campground surrounded by water. I give it 4 stars mainly because the bathrooms were in disrepair and the hiking trail was poorly marked.

Currently Mostly Closed (Aug 2020)

Nice campground. We stayed in the primitive camping area with our adventure trailer. Right on the water, it was a great site. Ants can be a huge problem though during the summer.

N.B. As of 3 August 2020, Primitive Camping and Semi-Hookup (Electric Only) Camping areas  are closed at Pointes West. RV Camping is open, for local traffic only. RV's must contain a restroom. No visitors.

Gorgeous location, lacking in upkeep

I’ve camped at Petersburg multiple times of the past 5 years and generally love it. Bartram Trail, terrific mountain for biking and hiking passes through the property. Some of the sites are stellar.

What I noticed on my most recent trip is that the quality of maintenance has declined. The restrooms on our loop weren’t really cleaned deeply over our 4 night stay with used band aids in the corner or the shower stall. I alerted two staff members about the leaking spigot in our site and that was never addressed.

I’m returning in early November with a few friends for some mountain biking and hope things improve.

Great staff, cozy park

Arrived here for two nights in the tent after Myrtle Beach. Site 46 is not terribly even, but it's well situated inside the loop. The park is clean, the tent pad is a good size, and the amazing aroma of pine is one of the natural highlights. Unfortunate that the camp store closes at 5 pm. So one must drive to Publix for firewood. The closest Walmart has $2 ice bags.

It’s ok

Just left Aiken State Park in SC. We will not be returning because it didn’t meet our requirements, but it is not a bad park if it’s what you’re looking for, so here’s the pros and cons:

Pros - super affordable, nice location, very peaceful/quiet, nature trails, kayak rentals available, clean, nice staff

Cons - sand/uneven pads, very tight to drive through and get parked, the dump station is inconvenient to get out of when leaving the campground, absolutely no cell service at campsite (we have Verizon, att, and tmobile)

One other big negative for us, which I hope no one else has to encounter is there was a seemingly, stray dog running around. Super sweet and timid around people, but we have our dog with us (boxer) and the stray attacked our dog. Just warning if you’re there or going soon.

Something for everyone!

Dreher Island was a great camping location! We stayed at tent sites 1&2 which was kind of like having our own private compound. If coming back again I would book tent sites 1-3 to claim the whole area! Other parts of the campgrounds seemed to be on top of each other and more sloped to access water. Access to the lake was a breeze from the site; easy to walk in the water and to get the kayaks in and out. Fishing was convenient from the shore. Bike riding was also great here although time did not allow for much of that this trip.

If interested in renting kayaks or paddle boards, I highly recommend Paddle South Outfitters. Travis was awesome and delivered kayaks right to the site and picked up too! Super nice guy!

Bathrooms were very clean and not a far walk from the campsite. Would stay beyond 2 nights next trip to explore more.

Still Unknown

Had high hopes for this place.  Unfortunately, the gate was locked and posted that it was closed for the season.   I was able to drive around and check out the boat ramp and picnic areas.  They were nice.