About Lake Greenwood State Park
Lake Greenwood State Park is located in South Carolina
7 Reviews of Lake Greenwood State Park
Surprisingly Accomodating, Even When Crowded

I had never visited Lake Greenwood, save for driving by on the way from Augusta to Greenville. So when no other State Park had reservations available for Labor Day weekend, I was hesitant to book here. I will admit, I was mistaken. My in-laws and my parents both pulled their camper trailers, while I pulled my Jayco pop-up. I was very satisfied with the size of the spaces, which were accurate compared to the website. The camp website also accurately informs campers about the grade of campsite driveways, which did become an issue for my parent’s trailer. The sites are generally not much more than an asphalt driveway, and a gravel picnic table/fire ring area. I didn’t see many tent campers in this part of the campground, and I would imagine tent camping would be especially uncomfortable (hot) during the summer months. Electrical hookups are new, and standard, and water hookups are plenty for even the biggest of rigs.

The campground maintains decent tree/shade coverage, especially on the outer sites. The sites near/on the water are also shaded and have the added bonus of the lake breeze, although they are a bit crowded; very close to the sites next door. Speaking of which, perhaps due to the sold-out Labor Day weekend, but most probably because of the design of the campground and lakeside access, foot traffic was heavy between and around my campsite. This was annoying as always, and made me feel like I needed to bring in all of my chairs, etc when I left the site.

There are several bathhouses spread throughout the campground. Each one has two showers, two sinks, and two toilets, though at my closest bathhouse, one of the showers was out of order. The bathhouses were always very clean, and did not have the usual peeling paint and army of bugs and spiders that some bathhouses seem to maintain as a matter of principle.

Nearby Ninety Six NHS was a great half-day attraction, less than 15 mins away. Greenwood City is also a draw. Of course, the gem is Lake Greenwood. I was wishing the entire weekend that I had a boat to enjoy the cool clear water.

Bottom line, I have plans to come back on a less crowded weekend, and definitely with a boat.

Beautiful views!

My family loves this campground! It’s clean and has a Great Lake to swim in.

Not a pleasant stay

Campground had some lovely views, some sites with lake access. Water and electrical hookups at most sites. RVs and tents share same area. Bright lights were burned all night, no need in complaining to camp hosts they burned strings of bright LED lights all night too. Large groups allowed, across from our tent there was a party that included 13 children. Generally noisy, lots of traffic moving at all hours. Bathhouses well maintained. Maybe okay for RV but no sleep if using a tent.

Great camp ground

This park has a great group camp sites. We have taken are cub scouts and Boy Scout troop here many times. The RV camp ground has too side a larger side which is newer and an older side. The older of the RV camp site is a little Tight but can 1 get a 40ft trailer in with no problem. The new side has Plenty of room for large RV. Bath houses are clean and well Maintain. Staff is great to work with. Bring your fishing rod Plenty of fishing. There is also a great swimming area and playgrounds.

Great place to stay and visit

Great place to stay and visit. Be sure to check out the nearby town of Ninety Six and the Ninety Six National Historic Site.

Tight Campsites, Beautiful Views

Lakefront sites are well worth the extra cost. Campsites are a bit tight, but the lakefront sites have great views. Drivig through can be tricky due to the multitude of cars, trucks, boat trailers parked everywhere. Drive-in movie nearby is really fun.

Ranger Review: Cotopaxi 35L Travel Duffel at Lake Greenwood State Park

Lake Greenwood State Park is a smaller state park in South Carolina. The lake is sizable, you can easily take your boat or jet skis, but at the same time the lake is suitable for canoes and kayaks as well. This weekend, we opted for the tubes as our means to relax on the lake, and we achieved that. The only issue we found was the size of the campground itself. The campsites are nearly on top of one another, but there are some beautiful spots right on the lake. Since they are so close, you can hear the neighbors at all hours, and there is hardly any privacy. One other issue was the sites themselves. Now, if you have an RV, it's no problem. But if you are into tent camping, like I am, you will have to pitch the tent on gravel or pavement. Not the easiest pitch. With that, though, it was still enjoyable and relaxing.

Gear Review – As a Dyrt Ranger, I also get to review and test products in the field. This weekend was the perfect weekend to test the Cotopaxi 35L Travel Duffel. Right out of the mail, I knew that it would be one bag that lasts for a super long time. It is extremely well made, and very versatile. The only thing I was concerned about when I opened it for the first time was the size. I didn't quite believe I could fit everything for the weekend inside. This was not the case this weekend, though. I even had enough room for the frisbee with all of my clothes, toiletries, and extra pair of shoes. Overall, it is an excellent weeken bag, in it for the long haul. Check it out here: https://www.cotopaxi.com/collections/chumpi/products/chumpi-35l-travel-duffel